Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power loss
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfdogskier
Hey guys,

I took her out today and was running fine. Then came up to a stop light for 3 mins. When it finally changed to green, I pulled out and she had no power hardly at all. I had to rev her up so much in 1st gear to get her to go. Then shifting to 2nd and 3rd, she just dragged.

I pulled over and saw smoke coming out of the exhaust, fan and oil breather. I limped her back home. She idles fine. Oil is good. No burning smell.

I converted her to dual carbs a while back and been running well and then this. I don't think it is a lack of fuel. I just tore down the carbs a week ago and cleaned them thoroughly. I've been driving her around.

Any ideas?

Spoke
QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Sep 11 2020, 04:56 PM) *

I pulled over and saw smoke coming out of the exhaust, fan and oil breather.

I just tore down the carbs a week ago and cleaned them thoroughly.

When something goes wrong after working on the car I always look to the last thing I've done. Maybe dirt got into one carb and is clogging a jet?

What color was the smoke? Gray or black? Gray could be oil and black is fuel when too rich. How was smoke coming out of the fan? That means oil or fuel was outside of the engine or oil leaking onto the heat exchangers then smoking back into the fan.
surfdogskier
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 11 2020, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(surfdogskier @ Sep 11 2020, 04:56 PM) *

I pulled over and saw smoke coming out of the exhaust, fan and oil breather.

I just tore down the carbs a week ago and cleaned them thoroughly.

When something goes wrong after working on the car I always look to the last thing I've done. Maybe dirt got into one carb and is clogging a jet?

What color was the smoke? Gray or black? Gray could be oil and black is fuel when too rich. How was smoke coming out of the fan? That means oil or fuel was outside of the engine or oil leaking onto the heat exchangers then smoking back into the fan.

I can rev the throttle and she is strong. It is only under load she is not pulling well. It has small leaks outside the heat exchangers and that is what is coming out the fan I assume. I can see that. I don't think is a fuel issue.
surfdogskier
Turned out one of the components on one of the carbs came off. Hooked her back up and she purrs like a kitten. Runs great now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.