Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corvair or Subaru engine Swap ? Feedback
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
I have a chance to Pick up a Corvair 102 Engine for $200 That I'm sure Needs rebuilding
So my Question is Would It Be Worth picking up or going the Subaru 6 instead ??
I know nothing about eater Swap .. Thanks for feed back !!
tygaboy
My $0.02 would be that lots of Subbie conversions have been done, parts are plentiful and most importantly, so is the related knowledge base. I'd guess you're more likely to get a Subbie conversion on the road more quickly, and that it'd be worth more to a broader market, should you opt to sell at some point.

With the Corvair, you'll be "one of a few" vs "one of many".

There are pros and cons to being in each of those groups. You just need to figure out which one best suits you.

Me? I'd go Subbie (unless I could talk you into going LS! poke.gif )
Andyrew
Subaru 6 makes a lot of sense in a LOT of ways. SOLID choice there. They rarely pop up on the used market for a reason.
914forme
Subaru 6 - period I do not see the other as a choice.

EG33 getting hard to find parts for bullet proof engines, if you do not count oil leaks.
the 3.0 six, many swaps, very nice engine
3.6 more headaches.

Go 3.0, be done. that one now is almost a follow the directions of @76-914 and have a car up and running fast. He worked all the bugs out of it. And is building another right now.
twistedstang
I see zero beneficial reasons to do a corvair swap other than "it will be different." Different isn't always good. Im not knocking on a corvair swap done back in the day when parts were a little more plentiful.
VaccaRabite
If you happen to like Corviars and want an aircooled 6 on a budget - get it. Its a cool engine that isn't hard to build into something fast that is still aircooled but uses plentiful US parts. You need to reverse the spin of the engine but that isn't difficult since you have to rebuild it anyway.

Devil in the details as always, and you will spend a good amount of time tuning what will end up being a pretty custom engine.

If you want something fast and modern, it is really hard to beat the Subaru engines. There are a LOT of them out there too, and more people know how o tune for them these days.
Zach
Beakster
beerchug.gif Thanks Guys for your feedback ..
thelogo
QUOTE(Beakster @ Sep 11 2020, 02:01 PM) *

I have a chance to Pick up a Corvair 102 Engine for $200 That I'm sure Needs rebuilding
So my Question is Would It Be Worth picking up or going the Subaru 6 instead ??
I know nothing about eater Swap .. Thanks for feed back !!

I get it that you want to keep it horizontally opposed
You are familiar with outfront or outback Motorsports?
Very good info their about izubu engines. Some wild builds too

But if you're not " opposed" to a inline 4/ with or w\o a turbo it would greatly improve youre options and results

Theres a reason why . strada'dale used the focus rs engine in their 1 and only road going production car.

It makes sense. Way more sense then The Subaru.imho screwy.gif

A s2000 engine or any honda engine would be way more practical . unless youre married to horizontally opposed

If i pumped water. Id use the toyota corolla xrs mill myself . and spray paint Volkswagen on the valve cover wub.gif

And other then using a dry sump .
Why cant a or any inline 4 be layed down " flat" like the Wright bros did with charles taylors motor . way back in 1903?

Solving the (c.o.g.) issue and negating the head gasket(maintence $$$)
issues associated with the subarus
mepstein
The reason you want to go suby if you are going to do an engine swap is because it’s been done many times, all the parts are available from vendors and there are build threads to follow. You won’t have to reinvent the wheel and if you get stuck, there are people that can help you out

Suby engines are known for their reliability and longevity
Conversion axles are available
Engine mounts are available
Cable shifters for the trans are available
You can use a 5mt suby trans and stock clutch. No adapter needed
There are directions for converting the suby wire harness or you can send it out to have done

I would read up on the suby conversation threads and see if this is for you. There are also shops that will do it for you if you aren’t a diy person.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.