Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a few questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
ok, first question. i know there is a black wire, red wire and yellow wire that go to the starter. the black go to the battery-correct? yellow to the switch-corret? and red...where do that wire go?? second question. how do i remove the black ring that goes around the guages and is right on top of the glass...do they screw off?? and last question. what is this mirror and is it worth anything?? Thanks
ArtechnikA
red wire goes directly to the battery. (the yellow wire switches the solenoid; the solenoid switches the BIG current that runs the starter.)

the gauge bezel is crimped on and can be removed by v-e-r-y carefully prying it away on the back - small screwdriver, little at a time, round and round. patience is a virtue.

that's a Talbot mirror, installed for some reason with the sunshade upside down. it's a period-correct aftermarket mirror for late 60's. AFAIK they were never fitted to a production Porsche but they were popular aftermarket accessories. in perfect or excellent condition they could bring a few bucks from the vintage guys. i couldn't consider it a lost treasure, and there doesn't seem to be a lack of them in good condition.
grasshopper
ArtechnicA,
Thamks for the response. I'm still a little confused on this botched up wiring that I'm sorting thru. The main power from the battery direct is a black cable, attached to the large power pole. also a black cable on the mount (engine side) is for the ground. There is a yellow wire that is clipped on from the harness. That leaves one more that must attach to the smaller connection which on this starter is a screw on. I have seen one that was ganged up with the heavy + from te battery. I asume the yellow is from the switch. This is only one problem as I go step by step putting a fuel injection back on. So the question is the 3rd wire from somewhere?

thanks
bondo
I'm pretty sure the yellow wire goes to the smaller terminal. The smaller terminal should have a male spade connector/washer thingie on it, and the yellow wire should have an insulated female spade.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Jul 13 2005, 06:22 PM)
That leaves one more that must attach to the smaller connection which on this starter is a screw on. I have seen one that was ganged up with the heavy + from te battery.

i just don't know how it's done in a /4.

in SOME cars, the +post on the starter terminal is used as the connection from the alternator. that's how it works on my 911, where the alternator is at the back, the starter is in the middle, and the batteries are in the front.

so look to see if that's possible - if it goes to (comes from) the alternator. be very careful - you are dealing with huge amp sources, none of this stuff is fused, and crossed connections can be expensive at best, downright hazardous at worst.

maybe if we keep bumping this topic to the top, someone who KNOWS /4 electrics will be able to help you.
scotty b
Lemme know if you want to sell the mirror. I don't know what it would be werth, but I would like it for my coupe.
SLITS
Black (large guage) is from + battery to big terminal on starter solenoid.

Red attaches to the same place and comes from the B+ terminal on the alternator

Yellow attaches to the spade terminal and comes from the ignition switch thru the relay plate.

Actually, the red and yellow should be in a harness from the relay plate.

And back then, we called them racing mirrors. The shape, in theory, kept the thing from vibrating due to wind buffeting.
McMark
Short answer, red and black go to the same place. wink.gif
McMark
1000 word essay on starter wiring. laugh.gif
rick 918-S
I wub.gif those Talbot mirrors! They still sell them new. They're retro cool.

Is that on your new car dude? Show us the rest of it! Or a link cause I missed it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.