Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Who has a TREO 600?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I am thinking on getting a TREO 600 and would like to hear your thoughts. I have Sprint for my service.

If you have one for sale shoot me an e-mail
datapace
I've had a 600 in the past and currently use a 650. I would avoid the 600, I noticed a great deal of background noise with it. Actually, it sounded fine to me but was annoying everyone I talked to on the other end. I am using ATTWS/Cingular as the carrier.

You may want to consider the 650 over the 600. Check around for Sprint specific info on the web.

Also, there are several upgrades with the 650: much better screen, faster, better camera and a much better overall design. I have been very happy with the 650.

-bryan
Kerrys914
Thanks.. Seems I am always off one when it comes to current model. The 650 is about $400+ and the 600 is about $175.

Cheers
BMartin914
The 650 has Bluetooth. 600 does not.
Midtowner
I have a friend who purchased his 600 for $175 but strongly wishes that he spent the dollars for a 650 like mine. smile.gif
airsix
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jul 13 2005, 06:04 AM)
Thanks.. Seems I am always off one when it comes to current model. The 650 is about $400+ and the 600 is about $175.

Cheers

wirefly.com has the Treo650 in your zipcode with Verizon for $199 after rebate.

You might want to check that out unless you are stuck in an existing contract and just want the phone. Beware that the rebate might be contingent upon having a tack-on data-plan or some such monthly price inflating feature.

-Ben M.
Kerrys914
Yea, Most deals are for NEW accounts. I have Sprint and need just the phone headbang.gif

Thanks
cnavarro
One of my friend's family each have a treo 650 on either sprint or verizon. Aside from having to reset their phones what seems like daily, they are cool gizmos. Personally, I like having my ruggedized nextel that I drop about a dozen times a day and keeping my palm tungsten C near me at all times for everything else.
gus
The 600 is a good handset, but you won't be able to do as much with it, because it lacks the CPU power and Bluetooth as the 650. If you are planning on using it as a talking GPS, you're really SOL - get a 650. If you just want a handset that you can sync with your calendar at work, it's an alright phone.

Other than bluetooth and faster proc the 650 also has a camera that is many times better than the one on the 600.

For me, the 600 was rugged and dropping it wasn't such a big deal, but it did not handle water well (e.g. walking to starbucks in rainy seattle).

With the CDMA (Sprint, Verizon) variations you get a pretty competent device. It does at least 1xRTT and may even support EVDO (I'm sketchy on that, I spend my life in the GSM world). The GSM variant only does GPRS, with the 650 supporting EDGE. Neither EDGE nor GPRS are on par (despite marketing claims) with CDMA for data.

On the 600, I think the speaker phone is pure crap. Less so on the 650. I haven't used the 650 much for voice, but I don't think the 600 was as good as many cheap handset for voice (poor noise isolation etc).
Kerrys914
What I am looking for is getting access to my e-mails. Alot of guys around here have the Blackberry phones.

SO is the 650 able to be a navigation type unit????? So if I am driving it will give me turn by turn directions? ohmy.gif Is add-on stuff needed to do this? How are the maps accessed? I have been looking at a seperate device to do this as well.

Cheers
gus
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jul 13 2005, 09:58 AM)
What I am looking for is getting access to my e-mails. Alot of guys around here have the Blackberry phones.

SO is the 650 able to be a navigation type unit????? So if I am driving it will give me turn by turn directions? ohmy.gif Is add-on stuff needed to do this? How are the maps accessed? I have been looking at a seperate device to do this as well.

Cheers

Yes, it can be used as a GPS navigator. Maps are stored on an SD card that you can put in your treo. The GPS is provided via bluetooth. Two popular packages are:
TomTom
and
Seidio G2500

I'm sure there are more... Try mytreo.net forums for all the details...
TROJANMAN
i was looking at these phones too, but they do not offer an analog roamng feature. the 600, i think, will digital roam. the 650 only works on sprint networks.

did you look at the samsung i500? this one is a tri-band phone, and allows access to company email. the drawback is that there is no keyboard. but you can make phone calls with one hand., and it;s cheap.
Kerrys914
Thanks guys.. Looks like the GPS nav option may have turned me to the Treo 650.

Time to do some looking type.gif type.gif for the best prices and detailed spec's on the 650.

Thanks again beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jul 13 2005, 05:58 PM)
Looks like the GPS nav option may have turned me to the Treo 650.

i really like the Mapopolis Navigator that runs on my Palm T3; EMTAC Bluetooth GPS. i just saw a solar-assisted Bluetooth GPS the other day - pretty cool, although i've never needed more than the 6 hrs in the EMTAC battery... the cool thing about the Bluetooth GPS is that for another $100 or so, we got a TDK Bluetooth PCMCIA card for Joy's laptop, and we can run Streets & Trips on that.

i have been thinking about getting a 650 also; IIRC, Cingular (formerly AT&T) have a 4-band version, and i've told myself if i make another trip to Europe, that'll be along for the ride...
airsix
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Jul 13 2005, 10:38 AM)
i was looking at these phones too, but they do not offer an analog roamng feature.

Is that even an issue any more? Are there many areas with analog coverage but without digital coverage these days?
-Ben M.
Dr. Roger
I have a Blackberry 7510 for work and a Treo 650 for personal use.

I'll take the Treo 650 hands down.

It world wide compatible.
does web stuff on my Verizon network very nicely.

Got the $150 rebate and the "one every two" discount. I pay a little bit more every month and upgrade phone every 2 years. Retails for 500, got it for 200.

Dropped it a few times and it seems to be holding up nicely.

Wich I could use it for a laptops cellular connection.

GPS ready.

I have zero complaints. Best phone i've ever owned.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (airsix @ Jul 13 2005, 06:22 PM)
Are there many areas with analog coverage but without digital coverage these days?

fewer all the time. this is one big reason the phone companies are pushing digital (e.g. free phone offers): as soon as analog usage drops below some magick percentage, the carriers can dismantle the analog infrastructure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.