Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yeah....it's pretty smokey out here in Oregon right now.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
Where I live in my county (Clackamas), we are currently at yellow, level 2...meaning you better be packed and ready to evacuate at a moment's notice if the level changes to 3 (red). Crazy times here and the skies are apocalyptic.

We had some scattered controlled wild fires that got hit last week by a couple of days of 60+ mph wind gusts, and the entire state exploded.
Over a million areas burned already and some of the fires have zero containment.

Luckily the weather is cooperating with cooler more humid air and little wind.
Plus we're are supposed to get some needed rain next week.

The 914 is operational/mobile so can be moved to the hotel we have reserved if needed.
The other P car was in the midst of a bunch of work, so was not.
Had it towed yesterday as a precaution to the shop that does all my paint work.
Great guys.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mlindner
Love your rims, just a great look. Stay safe.
Krieger
Be safe! Allways keep an eye on the winds and it's forecast. Make sure the gas tank in your cars never get below half full. Pay attention to who is in your neighborhood.

Use this to keep track of fires near you. https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/34.2541/-118.4029/12

Use this to see what if any aerial support your getting.

https://www.flightradar24.com/38.46,-122.59/7

Good luck! PM me your number if you need other advice. I live in Santa Rosa and been through enough.
PanelBilly
Nasty air up here in Seattle too. It makes for a cool looking sunrise and it smells like you’re sitting around the campfire. The odor is even in the house now.
raynekat
The Riverside Fire here in Clackamas county is just 1/2 mile from the town of Estacada. I live in Boring which is just another 11.5 miles to the north. So we are definitely close to the leading edge of the fire.

Luckily the weather is very benign right now and hopefully the fire crews are making some in roads although the fire is still 0% contained per their website. This fire was supposedly human caused (no reason yet) and is in rugged timber and grassland areas. The weather forecast is for more of the same, low winds, cool and humid air, with rains coming this week.

A little too much excitement if you ask me.
At this time, I believe we are reasonably safe.
I keep checking on weather forecasts, evacuation maps, updates from the firefighters, etc.
Thanks for all the advice.
It's good to keep well informed on what's going on.
I find the local news channels to be close to worthless.
Krieger
Local news was worthless to us. Our home town radio station was the best. Two close am stations were good. Second time around our local Sherriff sends out Nixle
Alerts. These are public alerts through Google that you automatically get on your phone. Maybe your signed up?

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
I'll second Andy's experience with news and local news when fire is nearby (or even just near enough to smoke you out).

Nixle is good, but I have to say Twitter was—by far—the best way to track the fires and progress fighting them (as well as weather as the fire fighters viewed it…which is all that really matters in these situations).

No, I can't believe I just wrote that, either. But I fired up my old account and started actually surfing it. Figured out a few feeds to follow (e.g. National Weather Service, local sheriff, Cal Fire, etc), and then a couple of hashtags (in our case, #woodwardfire), and bingo. Even then, I was struck by how hard it was to find relevant information in 2020…on the very systems that largely made "news" and reporters largely obsolete.
bkrantz
Hi, Doug. Sorry you guys have this stress and hassle. Hope the weather settles down and the fire crews get ahead.
pete000
Better safe than sorry ! Good move.
ben*james
Man be carefully and safe!
I’m in West Linn but have a commercial interest in Oregon City. Looks like things are getting better and with rain in the forecast, we’ve got hope on the horizon.
If I can help, and you need it, reach out to me. We’re in level 1 but across the river.
Ben
Jonathan Livesay
It's a bit smoky in LA too.Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Fifth consecutive day (or seventh? or more?) of heavy smoke and visible ash in the Bay Area, and I am sure there are other places that have had it worse or much worse (my brother's town, in eastern California at higher elevation, has had air you simply do not want to breathe, even briefly).

They say the Bay Area is supposed to see a system push the smoke east (?) starting tonight, but we'll see. This is nasty stuff, and breathing it or dealing with it from a mental perspective isn't to be minimized—but neither seem like much compared to the reality of those on the front lines or those directly displaced (or worse…) by the cause of all this smoke. Harrowing times, and having been mildly threatened by fire burning 12-15 miles away with little or no containment for well more than a week, my heart goes out to those affected by all this up and down the west coast.
RickS
Glad you are taking precautions and getting the cars out just in case. Stay safe and hopefully you and your neighbors will come out fine.
Mikey914
They shut down PDX this morning and they are busy enough that the delays cascaded so I'll be driving to SEA today. sad.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 13 2020, 01:55 PM) *

They shut down PDX this morning and they are busy enough that the delays cascaded so I'll be driving to SEA today. sad.gif

Ugh. I am sorry to hear it's that bad. Take care out there…
raynekat
We'll start getting some rain up here in the western part of Oregon late Monday, Tues, etc that should at least help out with the air quality dramatically.
As far as the fires go, they are saying the amount of rain is not enough to materially impact the fires...but it should help limiting the spread.
Certainly the better weather conditions now are helping the firefighters.
Many of the smaller fires are 100% contained however the big Riverside fire that is just south of me still has zero containment.
rhodyguy
We're being teased with the prospect of precipitation this week. I'm not counting on it.
cary
Weather Channels forecast shows 5-10% thru Thursday. I'm thinking its a pipe dream. Really smoky here in Sherwood. Better in Forest Grove.
rhodyguy
That's a 90-95% chance it won't rain. We're fuched. The weather guy just stated worse again on Wed. Great...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.