Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replace clutch cable with engine in/out? Much of a difference?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi folks-working on the white Fresno car and it looks like it needs a new clutch cable.

The engine is currently out so it seems worth asking, because I’ve not done this before, if it makes a big difference to replace it with the engine in or out?

I’ve already replaced the brake lines and installed new transmission mounts, so the engine is otherwise ready to go back in, but if it makes sense to wait until the clutch cable is replaced now would be the time to make that decision.

Thanks!
JamesM
I would wait until after you put the engine back in so the new clutch cable is not in your way and at risk of getting damaged
Tdskip
QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 14 2020, 01:53 PM) *

I would wait until after you put the engine back in so the new clutch cable is not in your way and at risk of getting damaged

Good tip - thanks for the fast response!
burton73
Tom,
I would change the rear seal at this time. Part is cheap and that is good insurance

Bob B
solex
I just replaced the clutch cable this weekend and agree with others that the only reason to wait until the engine is in is so it is not in your way.

The only hard part is at the pedal, but it is not really that hard just remember that the threaded rod at the clevis should have a 10 mm reveal and make sure you get a cable with the Teflon sleeve that goes through the tube in the tunnel. The Teflon makes a world of difference.

Also if you are contemplating replacing the accelerator cable, make sure you run a screw driver or something similar through the tube at the firewall to clear any debris or kinks in the tube this is much easier to do with the engine out.
Tdskip
Good stuff. thanks for the reply. Very helpful gentlemen, much appreciated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.