914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hi folks!

I’m looking for targa vinyl adhesive recommendations and
what products to stay away,

I read Eric’s installation summary (thanks a bunch!!) but
besides 3M didn’t find any specific p/n for 3M or other
good adhesives.

Who has used what and with what kind of experience?
Car is fresh painted (about 3 months old) and I really don’t
want to fudged it up with some “budget/mainstream” FLAPS
stuff.

Thanks in advance!
dc
jmitro
post 43 he used 3M super 90.
that's what I used also. Same for the door panel cards
raynekat
Click to view attachment

I agree, the best spray adhesive for this kind of stuff.....
wysri9
I am at the same stage and was all set up (having read Eric's excellent description of the installation) with spray adhesive when an Upholsterer friend visited and recommended 3M double sided tape. I am not sure why I hadn't thought of it, as only days earlier I had had to clean off (its a long story...) a large amount of double sided tape from a bicycle frame. I can assure you it sticks like s*** to the proverbial blanket.....

Here are the results so far - seems to do a great job. I started off carefully positioning the side panels, holding them in place with masking tape, and then sticking the top 3-4 inches with tape laid around the perimeter of the sail panel. I then removed the masking tape, lifted up the lower section of the vinyl and held it up with more masking tape and then taped the rest of the perimete. Careful laid down the vinyl sticking one edge and carefully stretching towards the other edges. Finally I taped the sections where the vinyl folded over and stuck those down. The tape seems to "set" gradually and so repositioning is possible as is peeling off for a final trim. I was always a bit afraid of the finality of the spray adhesive approach, oh and there is no issue with overspray smile.gif The tape seems much more controllable. Time will tell on the durability but my upholsterer friend assures me it will be fine.

Click to view attachment
draganc
Interesting approach about the double sided tape!
Do you have a p/n or description of it?

I don’t know if it’s my phone, but your picture looks
like that there are “lines” showing.

In what pattern did you apply the tape for in between
the edges?

Cheers!

Click to view attachment
draganc
PS: Great color, orange was my first choice but hat to saddle with silver.
TheCabinetmaker
I've removed a lot of sail vinyl. They used old "gorilla snot" or what we call weldwood yellow contact cement. Also known as Formica glue. The old glue will remove with lacquer thinner, which will not harm the original enamel paint. Tape the bottom half of the bottom of the vinyl to the panel, and let the top part hang down where it's inside out. Glue both vinyl and panel. Let dry till your finger will not stick to the glue. Carefully, work the top half back into place, and use the palm of your hand to apply pressure to all the vinyl. Repeat on the bottom half.
moldygreg
I struggled with 3M spray adhesive for the sail panel.

I used HH-66 Vinyl Cement and had good results.

http://www.rhadhesives.com/hh-66-vinyl-cement.html

Wurth makes a similiar product but is more difficult to track down.

Good luck!
iankarr
DAP Weldwood Landau top and Trim adhesive. It's made for this. Only problem is you have to buy a gallon. But there are lots of other uses (dash, seats, etc.)
wysri9
QUOTE(draganc @ Sep 16 2020, 06:49 AM) *

the edges?

Cheers!

Click to view attachment

i used 3M 9088 Double Sided High Performance Clear Tape. Its 0.1mm thick and so invisible. I DID NOT use VMB foam tape which is incredibly sticky but also 1mm thick. I put tape around the perimeter of the panel initially and then "wrapped" the edges onto tape there. The vinyl stretched slightly as I formed it over the panel and stayed in position well once onto the tape. I guess you could add more rows of tape but my upholsterer friend suggested what I did. Time will tell..... smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(wysri9 @ Sep 17 2020, 02:26 AM) *

QUOTE(draganc @ Sep 16 2020, 06:49 AM) *

the edges?

Cheers!

Click to view attachment

i used 3M 9088 Double Sided High Performance Clear Tape. Its 0.1mm thick and so invisible. I DID NOT use VMB foam tape which is incredibly sticky but also 1mm thick. I put tape around the perimeter of the panel initially and then "wrapped" the edges onto tape there. The vinyl stretched slightly as I formed it over the panel and stayed in position well once onto the tape. I guess you could add more rows of tape but my upholsterer friend suggested what I did. Time will tell..... smile.gif

wysri9. Thanks for the info. Sounds like the tape might be a great alternative to the spray.
draganc
Excellent feedback guys - very much appreciated!

The tape method sounds actually very interesting.
dt4
QUOTE(draganc @ Sep 17 2020, 02:30 PM) *

Excellent feedback guys - very much appreciated!

The tape method sounds actually sounds very interesting.

I wish I had known of it before I did mine, sounds much cleaner
bdstone914
I am about to install the floor vinyl and the double side tape sounds like a better way to go. Did not want to have a bunch of glue over spray.
gms
I use 3M 90

Link
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.