Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Etiquette
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question/ advice. I recently sold a fiberglass spoiler to a person on Facebook. He paid me for shipping but has yet to pay me the full amount for the item which was shipped and received on Tuesday. First question, what is the etiquette on sending payment? What recourse can be taken if this person just refuses to pay?

I appreciate the feedback.

Steve
mb911
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Sep 17 2020, 07:03 AM) *

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question/ advice. I recently sold a fiberglass spoiler to a person on Facebook. He paid me for shipping but has yet to pay me the full amount for the item which was shipped and received on Tuesday. First question, what is the etiquette on sending payment? What recourse can be taken if this person just refuses to pay?

Steve

Steve,

Thats not good. I personally do not send anything without being paid in full first. The only exception is someone I know very well. There are few of us on here like Mark Epstein , Oscar, Stephen , Glenn that just send parts back and forth to each other and likely have no idea where or what is owed each other..
Optimusglen
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Sep 17 2020, 10:03 AM) *

Hey everyone,

Steve

Ask him nicely for the rest. If he doesn't pay up, you're SOL unless you want to go the route of publicly shaming him. There's no recourse through PayPal for this, and even less if you used CashApp or Venmo.

In the future, always receive full payment before shipping anything unless it's a close friend.
mb911
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Sep 17 2020, 07:09 AM) *

Hey everyone,

Steve

Ask him nicely for the rest. If he doesn't pay up, you're SOL unless you want to go the route of publicly shaming him. There's no recourse through PayPal for this, and even less if you used CashApp or Venmo.

In the future, always receive full payment before shipping anything unless it's a close friend.

I agree and Glen is another I should have mentioned and I would consider him a close friend though we never have met in person.
Rusty
PM sent.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 17 2020, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Sep 17 2020, 07:09 AM) *

Hey everyone,

Steve

I agree and Glen is another I should have mentioned and I would consider him a close friend though we never have met in person.

Why thank you! You're close, hopefully once my car is together I can make a drive out to visit next summer.
mmichalik
I had a similar experience but on the other side. I paid someone on FB for a set of italian Webers. He shipped them out and when I went to rebuild them, one of them was so corroded that it was beyond repair. Like it had been sitting in water for years.
I emailed him, he said he would send another one out but, went dark. I told him I would be happy if he just refunded $150.00 and he never responded.
Unfortunately, there's no recourse with PayPal as was mentioned earlier.
My lesson learned there was to only buy from people on the World and never trust a FB sale, unless I know them.
Sorry to hear that it happened to you as well
thelogo
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Sep 17 2020, 09:07 AM) *

I had a similar experience but on the other side. I paid someone on FB for a set of italian Webers. He shipped them out and when I went to rebuild them, one of them was so corroded that it was beyond repair. Like it had been sitting in water for years.
I emailed him, he said he would send another one out but, went dark. I told him I would be happy if he just refunded $150.00 and he never responded.
Unfortunately, there's no recourse with PayPal as was mentioned earlier.
My lesson learned there was to only buy from people on the World and never trust a FB sale, unless I know them.
Sorry to hear that it happened to you as well

WTF.gif

Thats not a similar experience at all
Buyer beware
Expect that anything bought used will need a rebuild or is in poor condition
thelogo
Op

Take some (all) responsibility here

You sent the item without being paid 1st
Thats you're fault not the buyers.
Dont expect people to be stand up guys
Youre bound to be disappointed

Because you assumed they will do the right thing
Is you're mistake for assuming

Shameimg, crying and wineing only makes you look bad not the guy who took you .

headbang.gif

Recourse is learn you're lesson and dont do it again

I mean you have to know that facebook is assclown shooting gallery

I always think about pearl harbor and sept 11
Yes it was a cowardly attack on Americans soil

But the whole . we got surprised because we had this very American aura of invincibility is something we need to acknowledge and we never do .

Take some responsibly then complain . in that order.
rfinegan
EDIT: I see in the OP it was Facebook...914 world group?
I hate Facebook in a General Statement
But...
I feel it's a trust issue with most forum sales.

If I pay for an item and trust the seller to send it , and he does not, not much you can do, but contact and request a resolution. Public shame is the only recourse. If you send an item and they do not wish to pay for it...request resolution and public shame as a recourse. I feel it should work both ways! Sorry for you situation and do not give in...Trust is a virtue nearly lost in todays age.
People here are Good...
mostly, Good
-Robert

QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 17 2020, 08:37 AM) *

Op

headbang.gif

But the whole . we got surprised because we had this very American orrah of invincibility is something we need to acknowledge and we never do .
mmichalik
QUOTE(rfinegan @ Sep 17 2020, 09:50 AM) *

EDIT: I see in the OP it was Facebook...914 world group?
I hate Facebook in a General Statement
But...
I feel it's a trust issue with most forum sales.

If I pay for an item and trust the seller to send it , and he does not, not much you can do, but contact and request a resolution. Public shame is the only recourse. If you send an item and they do not wish to pay for it...request resolution and public shame as a recourse. I feel it should work both ways! Sorry for you situation and do not give in...Trust is a virtue nearly lost in todays age.
People here are Good...
mostly, Good
-Robert

QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 17 2020, 08:37 AM) *

Op

headbang.gif

But the whole . we got surprised because we had this very American orrah of invincibility is something we need to acknowledge and we never do .

I agree, that it's a trust issue as well, @rfinegan . You want to believe that people are fundamentally good and it sucks when you are proven wrong.
@thelogo . We both got burned, one on one side of the sale, one on the other.
I'm not blaming anyone but myself for trusting someone I didn't know. Which is why my lesson learned is don't do that. Clearly stated there and I agree that public shaming isn't the way to respond. Pick yourself up, learn from the mistake and move on.
VaccaRabite
I've sold a lot of stuff.
If I don't get payment first then its a gift, not a sale.
If the person does not want to pay until the object is in his hands, then I'll sell to the next guy.

It sucks, but you got suckered. Not much you can do but learn for next time.

Zach
Rusty
1. This sale did not happen on 914world website.
2. The issue has been resolved between the two gentlemen.
3. People punking the OP for making a mistake? Must be nice to be so perfect.
4. Thread has served it's purpose and is getting ugly. Therefore, it's now closed.

edit to add: OP requested closure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.