Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do I need for a tune up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
Don't mean to sound like a rock, but I'm going to do this myself. Can you guys walk me thru it, and what do i need to purchase....besides porsche knowledge??
Mueller
The Haynes manual for starters, then do a search here for valve adjustment procedures (they are in the book, but John Larson wrote up a simpler method)

basic hand tools, a feeler gauge set, a timing light
ArtechnikA
in posts of this type, you can help us help you by explicitly mentioning in your post (preferably) or in your SIG (where a lot of people will forget to look...) your EXACT year, engine displacement, induction type, and unique modifications (e.g. - Pertronix)

i think i remember you have a /4 of some type but past that i donno.

oil, oil filter, strainer kit, spark plugs, points, cap, rotor, air cleaner element, valve cover gaskets all come to mind instantly no matter what kind of engine you have. i'm sure others will mention something i've forgot.

IIRC this is all covered in the Haynes, so you should probably add that to your shopping list...
tat2dphreak
spark plugs, dist. cap, rotor, maybe wires...if needed
new points if you still have them, or upgrade to a pertronix.
Allan
Yep, get the haynes manual like Mueller said and search for the actual adjustment thread for valves. As far as parts, if you're doing a complete tune-up you'll need:

2 ea. valve cover gaskets.
1 ea. oil filter (Mahle prefered).
4 ea. qts. motor oil
1 ea. set of points.
1 ea. condensor.
1 set sump strainer gaskets w/metal drain plug gasket..
4 ea. spark plugs (I run NGK BP6ES).
1 ea. distributor cap.
1 ea. air filter.
Ingnition lube.

I hope i'm not missing anything.
DNHunt
Print the article on valve adjustment from the bird board.

Buy or borrow, timing light, dwell meter

Buy feeler gauges, and your basic metric tools, a good light and the afore mentioned Haynes Manual.

You will need 4 quarts of your fav oil, new points and condensor, plugs, new air filter, and new oil filter. You should buy a new fuel filter, strainer kit and valve cover gaskets. You probably should buy a new dizzy cap and rotor. You may want a new plug wire set and dielectric grease and vacuum hose. Get plenty of rags, a little beer and a buddy to call. A lot depends on how well the car has been maintained.

Not sure if I left stuff out. i'm sure others will chime in

Dave
tod914
Might want to replace your fuel filter and inspect all the fuel lines. Especially the ones under the gas tank. While your at it, inspect the inside of your gas tank. Vaccum lines all ok? Oil cooler seals ok? Brake pads ok? Yup I know, it said tune up tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.