Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wire connectors for a new coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Where in the world can I find this 3 blade connector for my new coil? Or at the minimum, what is it called? I found several single blade types, but I need the 3 blade.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Off your old coil? wink.gif
Any air cooled VW shop should have one, soak it in vinegar if you want it shiny.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 19 2020, 08:42 AM) *

Off your old coil? wink.gif
Any air cooled VW shop should have one, soak it in vinegar if you want it shiny.

Well you might think there would be an "old coil", but the coil is just one other thing this engine did not come with. I wish I had a "VW shop" around here. lol-2.gif

The pic is my 1911 in my 914. I got my 2.0 for my bus on the engine stand getting ready to break-in. I suppose I can rig something up to do that.
Spoke
Here's one at Digikey with 3 spades. These kind of terminals are generally called Quick Disconnect connectors.

If the 3-spade one doesn't work, there are several 2 spade and single spade items that can be stacked up on the stud.

Digikey 62261-1

malcolm2
I was considering buying an additional coil just to get the hardware.... but that was way down the road of striking out.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
If you're not in a rush I'll send you a used one.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 19 2020, 11:01 AM) *

If you're not in a rush I'll send you a used one.

Thanks. I went ahead and bought about $20 worth of stuff from Spoke's suggestion. I don't think the 3 blade one has a large enough hole. So in case I can't drill it out, I got several 2 blade ones and a bunch of piggy-back connectors. And I will be driving past ACE hardware this afternoon, so I will stop in and see what they have. THese 2 little connectors are really adding to the cost of this rebuild. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

That should do it.

THanks to all.

LOOK NO COIL>>>>

Hey, your a bus guy. THis is a 914 engine. I kept the oil funnel and dipsitck. Am I gonna be able to pull the dip stick?

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
I added a 73 engine hatch, but I think it is too far forward to allow the dip stick to be pulled out.
Click to view attachment
Ansbacher
"Quick disconnect" means just that- they disconnect at the most inopportune times. I always connect coil wires to the studs with a nut and tiny lock washer.

Ansbacher
malcolm2
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Sep 19 2020, 11:56 AM) *

"Quick disconnect" means just that- they disconnect at the most inopportune times. I always connect coil wires to the studs with a nut and tiny lock washer.

Ansbacher

Maybe.... 55,000 miles on the OP picture. THe whole car is full of those connectors. Guess I will keep chancin' it. driving-girl.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 19 2020, 12:28 PM) *

Hey, your a bus guy. THis is a 914 engine. I kept the oil funnel and dipsitck. Am I gonna be able to pull the dip stick?

Click to view attachment

You'll have to curve it a bit, either towards the hatch or engine door. Curve the dipstick as well, you don't want a hard bend. When you bend the tube leave the dipstick in. You can try to use a bender, I've done it by applying a bit of heat to it with a propane torch.

If the OE dipstick is too hard to bend when pulling in/out find a thin spring one at a wreckers that will work, cut it down and remark it using the OE stick for reference.
I have a VW diesel one on my T4 bug but it has a special end on it that I had to do a slight mod to the tube.

I was offering the connector for free but who knows how long the mail would take. It's usually about 10 days.
Ansbacher

Maybe.... 55,000 miles on the OP picture. THe whole car is full of those connectors. Guess I will keep chancin' it. driving-girl.gif
[/quote]

I was just emphasizing the coil connections, especially when one has a Pertronix module attached. A goofy connection could cause a polarity flip or short and then you say goodbye to your Pertronix.

Ansbacher
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 19 2020, 12:54 PM) *

If the OE dipstick is too hard to bend when pulling in/out find a thin spring one at a wreckers that will work, cut it down and remark it using the OE stick for reference.
I have a VW diesel one on my T4 bug but it has a special end on it that I had to do a slight mod to the tube.

I was offering the connector for free but who knows how long the mail would take. It's usually about 10 days.

Thanks for the offer of the connector. I only picked the ones the site said they had in stock and will ship FedEx ground.

I am a ways off from installing the engine and the electronic module has very long leads. I just put a couple of ring connectors on and slid them over the posts for now. CLips etc... will work for the other connections for the "on the garage floor" break-in. Thanks for the offer.

I was thinking pull-a-part for the dip stick too. My wife's Accord has a "metal rope" as the dip stick... The tip is a big blob and too big to fit. But a good and flexible oil checker. My kid's CIVIC has a plastic one. Easy to cut-to-fit and flexible. So next time in the yard, I am gonna check out a few others. And I will get a few spares. piratenanner.gif

Thanks to everyone for chiming in today.

malcolm2
[quote name='Ansbacher' date='Sep 19 2020, 01:55 PM' post='2852507']
[/quote]

I was just emphasizing the coil connections, especially when one has a Pertronix module attached. A goofy connection could cause a polarity flip or short and then you say goodbye to your Pertronix.

Ansbacher
[/quote]

THere is always that chance. I keep a spare in my 914, so I will keep a spare in the bus too. Plus IIRC the whole new Disty is lifetime warranty. Maybe not, I have purchased so much stuff, I lose track.

For now I have added the ring connectors for the break in. I guess I could leave them and put the blade attachment on top of that. confused24.gif

Thanks for your thoughts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.