Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid bracket repair/install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesJ
Looking for someone here that can perform this job or give a recommendation of someone qualified. My driver side engine lid bracket is loose and it is causing my engine lid to swing open when driving. Strange thing is that it not that loose, but perhaps it doesn’t take much movement to cause the rear lid latch to release the lid. I have attempted to adjust the latch, but that has not worked out. I purchased two new brackets, but need someone to take a look at it first to determine whether it would be best to reweld the original bracket, or install a new patch panel, or to install a new bracket(or perhaps do both sides), or any combination of these.
I have researched previous threads on this topic that have provided good insight on this issue, but since I am not a welder I prefer to have someone with experience evaluate and perform the work. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thanks, James.
GregAmy
You sure it's the bracket? Mine used to do that, but it was because the chassis was flexing and the latch pin was pulling forward and out of the latch.

I resolved that by cutting and bending a 6mm(?) bolt that allowed the pin end to extend further into the catch. No more bump-and-swing.
JamesJ
Good thought. I may have wrongly assumed that since the bracket had a little play in it, the problem was the bracket.
JamesJ
Update: the welded nut on my engine lid bracket is stripped. I was able to get a nut in there but I don’t trust it and at this point would like to have a new bracket welded in. If anyone is able and willing to help(for $) or can recommend a shop in the SF Bay Area, it would be appreciated. Trying to get the car ready for the WCR and it would be nice to check this off my list.
Thanks.
pt_700
should be a pretty easy weld, my friend welded up mine which was cracked this weekend but, as i can't volunteer his services, i'll direct you to a muffler shop. i'd look for a well reviewed one on yelp.

this guy's great;

https://www.yelp.com/biz/classic-muffler-se...ndy%27s+muffler
Mikey914
Thinking a little out of the box here, but what if you drilled and tapped for the next size up bolt. As ling as the rest is solid.
Worst case it doesn't work and your where you are now.
windforfun
Do it right. Keep things stock. Watch the heat on the interior backpad if you work on the hinge brackets. BTDT.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 19 2020, 03:42 PM) *

You sure it's the bracket? Mine used to do that, but it was because the chassis was flexing and the latch pin was pulling forward and out of the latch.

I resolved that by cutting and bending a 6mm(?) bolt that allowed the pin end to extend further into the catch. No more bump-and-swing.

Or you could put spacers (washers) between the latch and the mount to move it towards the bent latch pin.
JamesJ
Thank you all for the great suggestions/recommendations. I'll attempt to leave the bracket in place and use the recommended larger bolt and/or washers. If not, then I'll try to make the bracket more secure with some welding or weld in a new bracket. Once secure, I'll address the latch pin after that. You guys are great!
Mikey914
The bold and washers is a pain to do, but can work. Yes. I'm a proponent of doing it right, but I get the need for a tempory fix to drive the car while it's still nice beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.