Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: introducing my collection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
so excited to find 914world!

here is my 3 car "collection."

a couple of questions on my '70 914:

is there supposed to be a board of some sort in the front trunk over the spare tire?

aren't the rockers supposed to be black?

my car had big rubber eraser head-type bumperettes on the front bumper. Were these an option? is the black paint covering the chrome (which would have been under the rubber bumperettes) supposed to be there?

Oh and are there driving lights? I don't have a switch for one on the dash as far as i know. Were these optional?

I'm trying to get it as stock as possible.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
The bumperetts were not on the 70 model from the factory. They first appeared on the front of the 73 models, then the front and rear of the 74 models. In 75 they went to the big heavy rubber bumpers.

I suspect your car had the front bumper replaced at one time. You can search on here for a 72 or older front bumper that doesn't have the holes for the bumperetts. Or you can do what I did on my 73, put nice shiny chromed carriage bolts in the holes.

Clay
brant
yep.. you have a later front bumper that someone changed.

a tire board is stock in the front trunk
your rockers and valances would have been black from the factory and not painted green

driving lights were available in Europe
fog lights in the US
and an option. your non fog light grills look like your car did not have them.

I saw your ad in the classifieds.
the stock rear valance for that car is very hard to find
and will run $$$ money
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
yes there's supposed to be a carpeted cover over the spare, most rockers were black but it's no big deal, your front bumper is most definitely too new for a 1970 & fog lights were an appearance group option. To get back to 100% stock you're going to need more info from Porsche; used to be called a COA (certificate of authenticity), don't know what they call them now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 21 2020, 11:01 AM) *
driving lights were available in Europe
fog lights in the US
and an option. your non fog light grills look like your car did not have them.

There was no such thing as "driving lights" on any 914. They were all fog-lights.

I have seen quite a few early cars that didn't have the wiring for them in the main harness. If the wiring is there (behind the bumper or tucked away in the trunk) it'll be easy to add a switch to the dash.
shades.gif
gereed75
Cool car. Love the steelie wheel moon caps look. In addition to the rockers normally being black, so were the front and rear valences.

The stock rear valences are very hard to find but passable stock reproductions are available in fiberglass.
Garland
TEENERPALUZA

Link to Event!

In your back yard!

welcome.png
914Sixer
Euro cars had the driving light option starting in 1974 with TN4 light series. Hella 115 were black for 914's and Hella 118 were chrome for the 911's. All US cars had fog lights. Wiring harness did include wire to add fog lights.
914_7T3
welcome.png

Great 914 & a Beautiful Collection through and through!

914_7T3
Double Post
bkrantz
Nice collection. Now you need to convert the Beetle to mid-engine.
Big Len
Nice collection. What year Beetle?
boxster914
so the only difference between the bumper I have and the authentic 70 bumper is that there would not be holes for the bumperettes and black paint where the bumperettes are attached? otherwise they are the same?

I noticed that the horns are behind the fog light covers so I'm guessing that this car never had fog lights.
boxster914
QUOTE(Big Len @ Sep 21 2020, 11:21 PM) *

it's a 72. Just drove it 500+ miles round trip to a VW show in western North Carolina this weekend. It ran like a champ!

the 914 is a '70 and the boxster is a '98 986.
914-300Hemi
Nice looking car.
welcome.png
mjrrti
QUOTE(boxster914 @ Sep 21 2020, 08:24 PM) *

it's a 72. Just drove it 500+ miles round trip to a VW show in western North Carolina this weekend. It ran like a champ!

My 70 had no fog lights when I got it but the wiring for them was behind the dash. You can find a used switch that will plug right in. The hole for the switch was also there only the basket weave didn't have the hole in it. Push around with your finger to the right of the 4 way switch and I bet you will find it. The fog lights mount outside the horns. My 70 did not have the nutserts in the body for them to mount but you can drill a hole there and get a nut on the back from the spare tire well area. If I remember I put tape on a box end wrench to hold the nut and managed to start the bolts and tighten them. I think 914 rubber sells new factory style grills for fogs. Factory lights are also around but not real cheap. Good luck---nice looking car
Garland
QUOTE(boxster914 @ Sep 21 2020, 09:24 PM) *

Another yellow cheer.gif 72 beetle, here’s mine.
(Local establishment)

Click to view attachment
Racer
From one of the pics, looks like you might have orange rear tailights? US models had red tailights. Finding non cracked original ones can be hard. I like the orange look on some colors.. but since you were asking about originality wink.gif

You should also have a removeable passenger footrest.

And then as the others have mentioned
1) Front bumper is from a later car
2) Rockers should be black.
3) There is a carpeted board that sits on the spare to give you a trunk floor for carrying items.

Front valance should be black (not green), like the rockers.

If the bumper is chrome, the grilles should be chrome (looks like yours are black?)
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 21 2020, 07:05 PM) *

TEENERPALUZA

Link to Event!

In your back yard!

welcome.png

@boxster914

depends on where in NC you are but this coming weekend is the "modified"version of our main east coast gathering, i had to bow out so i will not be coming up from SC this year but would if i could!, you should go if you can, about 35 cars and 50+ attendees, some mountain driving etc, ifyou cant take the 914 yet, take the boxster! get to know a few of the group with same addition, misery loves company!!

welcome.png

Phil
davep
The trick is to determine if you had the basic 914 or one with the appearance group (wider rims, chrome bumpers, vinyl on the Targa pillar, etc).
The old CoA is gone replaced by the PPS, and the CTC inspection report (big bucks).
I do offer a Report similar to the old CoA; I take your order, and purchase the data, then write up the report. I generally get additional data from you as well. This provides more information than the CoA did, such as the model type code, production #, and regional distributor. Plus I provide codes and descriptions for the paint, interior and options.
Email for more info. Dave
boxster914
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 22 2020, 12:41 AM) *

(Local establishment)

Click to view attachment

Love it!
boxster914
QUOTE(Racer @ Sep 22 2020, 08:41 AM) *

From one of the pics, looks like you might have orange rear tailights? US models had red tailights. Finding non cracked original ones can be hard. I like the orange look on some colors.. but since you were asking about originality wink.gif

You should also have a removeable passenger footrest.

And then as the others have mentioned
1) Front bumper is from a later car
2) Rockers should be black.
3) There is a carpeted board that sits on the spare to give you a trunk floor for carrying items.

Front valance should be black (not green), like the rockers.

If the bumper is chrome, the grilles should be chrome (looks like yours are black?)

Dave thank you ! will you be the the teenapolooza thsi wekeend? I would love help with sourcing all of those things to get it back to stock.
boxster914
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 22 2020, 12:41 AM) *

(Local establishment)

Click to view attachment

Love it!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(boxster914 @ Sep 22 2020, 11:02 AM) *

Dave thank you ! will you be the the teenapolooza thsi wekeend? I would love help with sourcing all of those things to get it back to stock.

Are you coming to Teenerpalooza this weekend? If so, we will see you there.

Look for the blue 1970 factory six on a trailer with Texas plates.

I can show you some of the things you are missing on your car.

Clay
914_7T3
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 21 2020, 09:41 PM) *

(Local establishment)

Click to view attachment

...and another yellow 1972 beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Racer
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=44 - a whole area dedicated to originality...

and while no one mentioned, our 914's did not come with a badge on the front trunk either wink.gif

Post more pics.. Interiors, trunks, toolkit etc and we (the peanut gallery) can continue to chime in.

Good looking car!
Slam254
QUOTE(boxster914 @ Sep 21 2020, 10:52 AM) *

so excited to find 914world!

here is my 3 car "collection."

a couple of questions on my '70 914:

is there supposed to be a board of some sort in the front trunk over the spare tire?

aren't the rockers supposed to be black?

my car had big rubber eraser head-type bumperettes on the front bumper. Were these an option? is the black paint covering the chrome (which would have been under the rubber bumperettes) supposed to be there?

Oh and are there driving lights? I don't have a switch for one on the dash as far as i know. Were these optional?

I'm trying to get it as stock as possible.

Irish Green is my favorite 914 color. Beautiful collection !!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

brcacti
welcome.png
Great looking car collection
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.