Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
Hey all,

Well, the fancy electric fan conversion project has gone on hold. And in the interests of my own sanity, I'm putting the stock cooling and FI system back on. I gotta drive the car!!! It's been too long!!! driving.gif

So, as long as everything is out of the car...

Any suggestions on painting the engine sheet metal and/or fan shroud? I already painted the engine bay light grey.

I'd love to see pictures...

-Josh2
tat2dphreak
powder-coat it, not paint and get as close as possible to your body color... smile.gif

or Black, can't go wrong with BLACK
jhadler
The body color is dark grey. I wanted light grey for the engine bay so I could see where any oil might be leaking... I used a high temp gloss paint. I wanted it light colored to see oil, and I wanted a gloss finish so I could wipe off the oil without it soaking into the paint.

I'm not looking for concourse or originality. But I figured a bunch of folks have gone this route, so....

-Josh2

P.S. It's a race car if that matters...
Allan
here ya go...
zymurgist
Light grey high gloss sounds good for what you need. Have you considered powdercoating?
zymurgist
Headrage, that is sweet. If Babydoll's owner sees that, we won't get the car back on the road in time for the East Coast Cookout 'cause she's gonna want the same thing. wink.gif
Allan
Here's one from the bottom.
zymurgist
Is that paint or powdercoat? That red looks awful purty.

I powdercoated every piece of my Corvette that would fit in the oven, but went with basic black and a few metallic tones.
Allan
QUOTE (zymurgist @ Jul 13 2005, 03:39 PM)
Is that paint or powdercoat?

It's actually just a heavy industrial enamel that Rustoleum makes. I have about 5 or 6 hundred miles on it and it looks perfect. I was told by a guy from Finish Masters that you should never primer pieces that are subject to extreme changes in heat as the primer will not expand and contract and will seperate causing it to blister and peel.
Dead Air
Rustolium makes a paint called "hammercoat" or something, in silver. That's what I'm saying!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ Jul 13 2005, 08:45 PM)
Rustolium makes a paint called "hammercoat" or something, in silver. That's what I'm saying!

I'm using that on my dash... looks good so far!
jasons
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ Jul 13 2005, 05:45 PM)

You can also get that hammered look in powder coat. I've seen it on alot of VW fan shrouds and its always looked pretty good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.