Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How did you paint/finish your gas tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I pulled the fuel tank out of the Fresno 914 because it sat for 20+ years, and I’m not sure if it was properly drain first or if the fuel just all evaporated. Seems like a bad idea to just dump gas in it so it’s at a radiator shop being tested and cleaned out.

That, however, leaves me without a fuel tank to get the car fired up and I happen to have one that was dipped but is unfinished. Since the tanks are identical and not stamped I can swap them out without the car sliding into the “non-numbers matching “category. Doesn’t really matter because it’s a bit of this and get to that car since I bought it as a roller anyway. Ha.

So-how do you guys like to finish and recommend repairing the fuel tank. It looks like the tanks were originally just painted and assembled into the car without any interior lining to the tank, correct? Do the same thing or do you recommend getting them finished differently?

Thanks!
Mark Henry
I've never had good luck with gas tank coatings (in 90's-early 2000's) so I just keep mine full with real gas.
But I can still get gas without ethanol, if I had to run E10 I'd likely look at coatings again.
Mark Henry
dp
Tdskip
Ended up bringing the tank to a local radiator shop. $240 coated and painted out the door, a lot more than buying a PO15 kit but saves time.
willieg
I used the Eastwood tank sealer and etcher. The sealer dries as hard as a rock and is reputed to seal small holes also. Once you coat the inside of your tank with the sealer, you drain the excess. I put some of the excess into an old coffee can as a test. If the coffee can is any indication, my gas tank is going to be just fine.
Tdskip
QUOTE(willieg @ Sep 22 2020, 11:02 PM) *

I used the Eastwood tank sealer and etcher. The sealer dries as hard as a rock and is reputed to seal small holes also. Once you coat the inside of your tank with the sealer, you drain the excess. I put some of the excess into an old coffee can as a test. If the coffee can is any indication, my gas tank is going to be just fine.

I’ve used the POR stuff as well, it held up, expect the Eastwood stuff will too.
djway
When I first got back into AirCooled I picked up a 70 Ghia. Tank wound up being pretty toasty.
Por 15 and some fiberglass sealed it right up.
THE MESSIEST JOB I EVER ATTEMPTED. People thought I had contracted some skin disease.
If I do again I will get a full throw away coverall.
mepstein
QUOTE(djway @ Sep 23 2020, 12:26 AM) *

When I first got back into AirCooled I picked up a 70 Ghia. Tank wound up being pretty toasty.
Por 15 and some fiberglass sealed it right up.
THE MESSIEST JOB I EVER ATTEMPTED. People thought I had contracted some skin disease.
If I do again I will get a full throw away coverall.

Fiberglass to seal up a fuel tank? No thank you.
aharder
just had mine cleaned sealed and painted for $175. Pleased with the finished work.
biggrin.gif
bdstone914
Powder coat the outside. No coating inside. They did not have any coating from the factory.
Jack Standz
For those that don't get heartburn using non-original parts, this one will get you back in business for $182 including shipping:

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1974/pors.../fuel_tank.html

No messy sealers sunglasses.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Sep 23 2020, 01:43 PM) *

For those that don't get heartburn using non-original parts, this one will get you back in business for $182 including shipping:

Wow - that seems like a deal.

Would have been cheaper to just do that.

Anyone use one?
Amphicar770
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Sep 23 2020, 02:43 PM) *

I had mine fine a few years ago at a radiator shop using this process.
http://www.gas-tank.com/

It has held up exceptionally well.

But yes, this was before the repro tanks were available. I would have definitely done that if it were an option at the time. Once all the other stuff is placed on top of the tank it would be pretty tough to tell if it was original or aftermarket.

And yes, if you can get ethanol free fuel your entire fuel system will thank you. That garbage exists solely as a subsidy to the farm industry.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
power paint it

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 22 2020, 06:57 AM) *

I pulled the fuel tank out of the Fresno 914 because it sat for 20+ years, and I’m not sure if it was properly drain first or if the fuel just all evaporated. Seems like a bad idea to just dump gas in it so it’s at a radiator shop being tested and cleaned out.

That, however, leaves me without a fuel tank to get the car fired up and I happen to have one that was dipped but is unfinished. Since the tanks are identical and not stamped I can swap them out without the car sliding into the “non-numbers matching “category. Doesn’t really matter because it’s a bit of this and get to that car since I bought it as a roller anyway. Ha.

So-how do you guys like to finish and recommend repairing the fuel tank. It looks like the tanks were originally just painted and assembled into the car without any interior lining to the tank, correct? Do the same thing or do you recommend getting them finished differently?

Thanks!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.