Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaky Front End
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
windforfun
There are squeaks on both side of the front end. I can't eliminate them with lubricant.

The hardware is original with a sway bar & 48K miles. Any suggestions? Thank you.
mlindner
windforfun, just to start I would disconnect the front sway bar on both ends....easy to do. Then is squeaks still there, go on to the torsion bars etc. Best, Mark
BillC
It's probably your torsion bars rubbing on the crossmember. The only real fix is to replace the control arm bushings. If the torsion bars are badly worn, they'll need to be replaced too.
windforfun
QUOTE(BillC @ Sep 22 2020, 02:52 PM) *

It's probably your torsion bars rubbing on the crossmember. The only real fix is to replace the control arm bushings. If the torsion bars are badly worn, they'll need to be replaced too.

Thanks. With only 48K miles?
Mikey914
Can happen as the rubber gets hard over time (and yes will shrink over time) so youmay be hearing some slight movement.
If you haven't replaced these I would suspect this is your issue -
https://914rubber.com/front-control-arm-bus...th-install-tool
windforfun
Many thanks!!!
Mark Henry
Mikey914 is right, the bushings are the likely cause.
My bushings made the front end rock solid, I've seen others where the bushing was spinning/moving on the shaft, that would cause a squeak.

I didn't think my bushings should be bad either, but they were deformed and as hard as a hockey puck. New bushing are suppose to have give, stick to the shaft and wrap/stretch with the movement of the torsion bar.

I'd still do the sway bar check as it's easy to do, but those 50 year old bushings need to be replaced IMO.
RickS
Is your sway bar through the body? If it is, it could be rubbing on the bottom of the fuel tank.

I had an Elephant through the body type added using drop links. It squeaks like crazy when warm. Some type of thermo expansion thing. If the weathers cool, no issue. I have used every lubricant known to man used on the drop links and metal to metal contacts with no luck. Disconnect the drop links, no squeaks. Gets very annoying on a long drive with every bump. Sound familiar?

Very interested in your resolution.

iankarr
Yep. I had exactly the same squeak...and used the 914Rubber bushings. Have a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AysZlHr2lM...channel=IanKarr

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-apYYIjlg...channel=IanKarr
914werke
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 22 2020, 03:33 PM) *
Thanks. With only 48K miles?
Yup. Keep in mind its not necessarily wear but time. If they are the OE bushings (probably) they have been supporting the weight of the car in one spot for near 50 yrs rolleyes.gif so the Rubber tends to sag or flatten smile.gif
GregAmy
My front end (the car's) squeaked. I replaced the front control arms bushings...still squeaked (bushings were fine).

Sprayed oil on the swaybar bushings at each of the bar...stopped squeaking.

It's starting to squeak again. I'm thinking I'm not gonna replace the control arm bushings this time.
windforfun
I put some serious mileage on the car today after lubing all the "usual suspects."

The squeaks are gone.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
soak the suspension bushings with ru-glyde

QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 22 2020, 02:16 PM) *

There are squeaks on both side of the front end. I can't eliminate them with lubricant.

The hardware is original with a sway bar & 48K miles. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Mark Henry
Oil is bad mojo on rubber components, you want a glycerin (soap) based lube.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.