Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The stigma of the 914 is dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Just spent a long weekend touring with the PCA group and never felt that our cars were look down on. As a matter of fact I got more that my share of compliments. Here I am leading a group. Made them work a little bit to keep up with me in the curves too.

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Nice! well your car is beautiful and for sure cannot be ignored!
thelogo
stromberg.gif still lots of these (pos)914s runing around

Stigma s gone ?

Said the guy with the brand new looking flared /6 ?

Did the stigma ever even exist ? screwy.gif
Cairo94507
I wear that "stigma" with pride. Anyone can drive a new Porsche. stirthepot.gif w00t.gif beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
I got passed by a new P-car guy slowed down and gave me a nod then tried to leave me sitting, I was right behind him, looked down at the speedo 125mph!
Nope! nope! nope...I don't need that ticket! So I backed off.

I didn't even realize I was going that fast till I looked, my teen's handling was as solid as a rock. aktion035.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 22 2020, 02:59 PM) *

If you have to ask.......... slap.gif
Jett
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 22 2020, 03:11 PM) *

Just spent a long weekend touring with the PCA group and never felt that our cars were look down on. As a matter of fact I got more that my share of compliments. Here I am leading a group. Made them work a little bit to keep up with me in the curves too.

Click to view attachment

Beautiful car!!

Is that Cannon Beach?
Coondog
QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 22 2020, 03:59 PM) *

Stigma s gone ?

It’s not often I agree with this guy but he is right.... first.gif
Having owned 914s since I was 21, I have never incurred or felt any type of stigma as a 914 owner. On the contrary it’s the opposite, rather I was driving a big bumper 75 or a flared 6 I always had favorable conversations with Porsche owners of all models. Most 911 owner conversations start with, my first Porsche was a 914. Wish I never sold it.
thelogo
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 22 2020, 05:42 PM) *

I got passed by a new P-car guy slowed down and gave me a nod then tried to leave me sitting, I was right behind him, looked down at the speedo 125mph!
Nope! nope! nope...I don't need that ticket! So I backed off.

I didn't even realize I was going that fast till I looked, my teen's handling was as solid as a rock. aktion035.gif

Not bad . i race em up to 85 mph
Never been arrested . not trying to start now sheeplove.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 23 2020, 10:59 AM) *

Stigma s gone ?

Really give it a rest can you,you have well documented your option of "six" conversion cars,we choose to fit what ever motor we deside.
Billys car is a fine example of some of the best recent conversions done on here,besides its works for the owner,frankly don't give a rats ass on your replies but sometimes you piss me off past "my limit not to reply".
thelogo
QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 22 2020, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 22 2020, 03:59 PM) *

Stigma s gone ?

It’s not often I agree with this guy but he is right.... first.gif
Having owned 914s since I was 21, I have never incurred or felt any type of stigma as a 914 owner. On the contrary it’s the opposite, rather I was driving a big bumper 75 or a flared 6 I always had favorable conversations with Porsche owners of all models. Most 911 owner conversations start with, my first Porsche was a 914. Wish I never sold it.

Not often av-943.gif you feelin ok ?

I better go play the lotto .

Whats the world comin too

You really been in teeners since 21 ?

Now i understand why you're car is built like it is .

Nicer then most 911 's . almost too nice to drive but not quite . perfect line to be skirting piratenanner.gif
steuspeed
I got 2 poor Porsche comments this month, so nah.
Pursang
I used to belong to the PCA. The majority of the other members I knew were very accepting of the 914 and there were some that had a 914 in addition to other Porsches. Sure, the stigma is there for some snobs without a doubt. I used to enjoy wearing a tee shirt that said, "My other Porsche is a Volkswagen" to some of those events. I've had my car for 33 years now. Still love it. driving.gif
steuspeed
QUOTE(Pursang @ Sep 23 2020, 01:00 AM) *

I used to belong to the PCA. The majority of the other members I knew were very accepting of the 914 and there were some that had a 914 in addition to other Porsches. Sure, the stigma is there for some snobs without a doubt. I used to enjoy wearing a tee shirt that said, "My other Porsche is a Volkswagen" to some of those events. I've had my car for 33 years now. Still love it. driving.gif

Back in the auto-x days there was a guy (Paterson) who drove a baby blue bug and his T-shirt he wore to every event said, Why drive a Porsche whe VWs are faster? He was usually top time of day.
dcheek
I bought my '76 new, December 1975 when I was 23 years old. I'm 68 now and NEVER had anyone anywhere look down at my car.

It was a pleasure getting best in show, outscoring cars 20 times the value of mine. Most of the time the judges were giving me props for preserving the 'entry level Porsche", when most were driven into the ground and abused.

And the VW origin issue is rediculous. What are most of the components on the first Porsche? That's right VW. I have absolutely no problem with the VW connection.

Dave
EvilOlderBrother
Billy, This is the photo I like. Looking great. Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(EvilOlderBrother @ Sep 23 2020, 06:56 AM) *

agree.gif
Root_Werks
Nice photo with all the water cooled Porsches in the background being lead by air cooled.

Last time I lead a PCA event, a drive was part of it back in....2001 I think? I had a 74' 914-6 and cannot recall even one water cooled Porsche. Mostly 911's.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 23 2020, 11:32 AM) *

QUOTE(EvilOlderBrother @ Sep 23 2020, 06:56 AM) *

agree.gif

Beauty!! and i like the look of that valance, looks like it fits well with the tow bar, I think i need to consider doing this as well- how does it tow? and how do you address the braking and signal lights?
EvilOlderBrother
One more art photoClick to view attachment
914_teener
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 22 2020, 03:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Another mid-engine P car great right behind you...actually two 987's. I'm biased.

Since I sold my 914 I'm still pining for another. I think more people have realized what a great sport touring car each is.

There is always one 914 at the PCA gatherings I attend and usually a crowd around it so I don't see anybody of looking down on them. See more and more 986's in very degrees of condition as well. Always set apart with the 911. If I were to make a choice having drivin many P cars I'd pick a mid engine platform every time. A 987 or a 981 with PASM is the ultimate fun touring sports car................besides the 914 of course!
thelogo
Ig : notarealporscheah

Domain name may be for sale av-943.gif

pray.gif
RichPugh
QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 23 2020, 12:58 PM) *

I don't understand it. What is the 'ah' for?
EDIT: Oh, is it supposed to be a double negative for the pronunciation? LOL. Like Porsche is pronounced 'Porsh' then the 'Ah' is the uh?
Manny Alban
Had one since I was 18. Joined the PCA with a pos 914 when I was 23. Started doing events right away. Never had anyone tell me it's not a Porsche or tell me to buy a real Porsche. Now I'm 54 and people still enjoy seeing the 914 ( I now have a much nicer one). Car looks so much more smaller when parked next to modern Porsches that I've heard kids ask their parents if it's a real car or one of kids.
Chris H.
QUOTE(RichPugh @ Sep 23 2020, 12:03 PM) *

EDIT: Oh, is it supposed to be a double negative for the pronunciation? LOL. Like Porsche is pronounced 'Porsh' then the 'Ah' is the uh?

@SirAndy can confirm this, but I think the correct pronunciation of Porsche is "Por shuh" although in the US many people don't add the UH.

When I had my first 914 in college there were a few people who turned their noses up at it but I never cared. Once you drive one you get it.
Mueller
Amazon delivery driver asked if I was working on a Fiat a few days ago.

He had no idea what a Porsche 914 was, he did however recognize the Honda engine in the car.
thelogo
QUOTE(RichPugh @ Sep 23 2020, 10:03 AM) *

Yeh it kinda has the effect of making whom ever says or pronounce it the way its written ...sound Kinda dumb. smash.gif

And every guy who comes to c&c with their
Brand new 911 $$$$ for some reason ? Always pronounces it the way i wrote . it . bye1.gif

That s#it gets kinda tiring. But dead give away you're in the (ah) wine and cheese crowd or you could say its for ( profiling purposes) .lol

Shout out to the cheap sob

( something tells me he would have wanted it that way)
Manny Alban
It's a family name. Good amount of the family still carrying the Porsche name. Porsche even made a YouTube video on how to pronounce it. Now, the way Americans pronounce the Jaguar brand vs the British is interesting.
9146GUY
I can relate after a PCA event at our shop. I had a 72 911S on the lift and a GT4 on the floor a few feet away. Some of the members commented that I should get the GT4 out and autocross it. I replied that I would much prefer the 72 S as I used to win quite a few FTD's with it. (it's not quite stock). Then I asked them about 914's and they looked at me with blank stares. I don't think they had ever seen one. Then I showed them my original 14K mile 6 under the car cover. The new guys in PCA still didn't get it. They have no idea about air cooled cars
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 23 2020, 11:12 AM) *
@SirAndy can confirm this, but I think the correct pronunciation of Porsche is "Por shuh" although in the US many people don't add the UH.

Correct, the 'e' at the end is NOT silent and it also isn't pronounced like an English 'e'.

shades.gif

Racer
The only stigma I recall is the "stigma of low cost" wink.gif

I recall seeing pins back in the 1980s that said "Porsche is a two syllable word".. can't recall if it spelled Porsche phonetically or not... "Por Sha"
Manny Alban
https://youtu.be/Im2eYuGdmfY youtube video from the source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2eYuGdmfY

StarBear
QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 23 2020, 09:30 AM) *

I bought my '76 new, December 1975 when I was 23 years old. I'm 68 now and NEVER had anyone anywhere look down at my car.

It was a pleasure getting best in show, outscoring cars 20 times the value of mine. Most of the time the judges were giving me props for preserving the 'entry level Porsche", when most were driven into the ground and abused.

And the VW origin issue is rediculous. What are most of the components on the first Porsche? That's right VW. I have absolutely no problem with the VW connection.

Dave

@dcheek - Concur to the max. Yours is one of the best ones in the area. At the recent Charity Concours in Summit, mine got absolutely the most attention (no other 914s there), and got 3rd place with Youth Favorite judging. First was a 2017 GT4, so absolutely no shame there.
StarBear
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 23 2020, 02:18 PM) *

Amazon delivery driver asked if I was working on a Fiat a few days ago.

He had no idea what a Porsche 914 was, he did however recognize the Honda engine in the car.

It's quite humorous to watch/listen to the young kids at the gas pumps (NJ one of only two states with pump attendants) get cross-eyed and ask about the car as they've never seen one. Their eyes really pop when I tell them I have to open the front hood and show then the gas tank/fill cap. Most even take photos!
horizontally-opposed
914 was always a bit of an individualist's choice.

Back when, it was ignoring "it's not a real Porsche" comments from those who didn't like the way the 914 looked or understand its design or engineering…or mechanical content, for that matter. Today, it's refreshingly more about what the 914 is rather than what it isn't. A lot of young people seem to know it through video games when I'm out and about. Or people just ask what is it? Others ask, "Is it a six?" So there's still definitely awareness.

And, as 914s have disappeared from the road, the 914s that remain become more special and really stand out. Used to be I couldn't go a day without seeing another 914. Now it can be weeks or even months. And this is in the Bay Area.

30 years ago, I remember going to gatherings and more or less accepting the crowd's "this is a stepping stone to a 911" logic. 30 years later, I'm always glad to see a 914, which is something like a step-nose Guilia GT in the midst of endless 911s of all ages. Something different, but in its case so very clearly Porsche.
Mark Henry
The elitist snobs are still there, those who have no clue as to what they're driving, other than the marque promotes that they're wealthy. These peeps never have or will give you a wave.
I'm always amazed how many Toronto folk drive Land and Range Rovers, reviews and resale values are absolutely horrible, but they're seen as a wealthy persons SUV.
BeemerSteve
I hope times have changed. Back when I owned my 70 914/6 I ventured into Porsche 911 territory at car shows and the consensus then was very cold. One guy came up to me and said "they should've kept that engine out of that model"!
Hope now there's more recognition for our cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.