Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where should the starter solenoid show up in the engine bay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning. Brought the electrical system up on the Fresno 914 - so far so good.

Well, mostly so far so good. My starter solenoid wiring is missing in (in)action. I believe that wiring comes through the tunnel in the cabin but where should it exit the firewall?

Once this is sorted I should be able to time it and see if I can get it fired on a temporary fuel tank while the original one is being coated.

Thanks!
JeffBowlsby
Is this a trick question? It’s on the starter motor.
TheCabinetmaker
Jeff, l think he means from the relay board the the starter.
Tdskip
Ha, yes, wiring to the starter solenoid to activate the starter.

I have power there, need to find the female lead that goes to the spade on the solenoid that responds to the ignition key.

Sorry for posting before having adequate coffee.

Looks like it shows up here, so there should be a lead coming off this to the spade on the solenoid?

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
The stock design is for the wire to come from the ignition switch, back through the car harness and into the replay plate via the 14-pin connector pin 1, through the relay plate to the 12-pin connector pin 6 (your diagram), then a yellow wire from there through the rear firewall to the starter solenoid.

Just to clarify, the stock design does not incorporate a separate relay solenoid.

So I'm guessing car won't crank? Pull the T12 connector and see if you get 12V when the key is turned to the start position.
Tdskip
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 23 2020, 11:22 AM) *

The stock design is for the wire to come from the ignition switch, back through the car harness and into the replay plate via the 14-pin connector pin 1, through the relay plate to the 12-pin connector pin 6 (your diagram), then a yellow wire from there through the rear firewall to the starter solenoid.

Just to clarify, the stock design does not incorporate a separate relay solenoid.

So I'm guessing car won't crank? Pull the T12 connector and see if you get 12V when the key is turned to the start position.

Good morning and thanks, let me get a multimeter on that and see if I get power there and if I can find the darn lead to the solenoid.

Time for some 914 archeology!
Tdskip
Got it sorted - this car had aftermarket A/C on it and the original engine is gone. That resulted in the connector for the 12 pin being missing and some funky wiring being where it shouldn't have been.

Got all the misc stiff removed and jumpered to the starter solenoid and the solenoid engages now. Starter isn't spinning despite having 12v there so have other issues to work through still.

The lead from the + battery terminal is getting warm to the touch when I try to spin the starter so I may have lots of resistance in that old cabling. I'd like to think the starter is good having just had it rebuilt, but we know how that goes. Going to pull it and bench test it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.