Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installed the new Odyssey battery today,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
....smaller the PC925 is than the Optima it replaced. Several of y'all recommended this specific battery, and I had to do some modifications to secure it on the battery tray. It's all charged and ready for a test start and drive tomorrow, and I not completely satisfied with the manner that it is secured in place, but I'll work on that later. driving.gif
Mark Henry
Just make sure it can't move around and nothing sharp is rubbing against the battery. I have seen the hold down saw right through a cell on a loose optima.
Some use some plastic U trim or a short piece of fuel hose slit lengthwise over the hold downs.
jim_hoyland
Pics ? I’d like to see how it fits... smile.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 23 2020, 05:31 PM) *

Pics ? I’d like to see how it fits... smile.gif

Here is the new Odyssey I installed yesterday, much smaller that the Optima it replaced. I made wooden blocks to keep the battery from moving laterally, and a steel strap down that I will improve later. The object wrapped in white foam on the top is the trickle charger that stays in place. I'm not pleased with the battery posts because they're too short, and will upgrade when I find suitable replacements.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 24 2020, 10:19 AM) *
I'm not pleased with the battery posts because they're too short, and will upgrade when I find suitable replacements.

I've seen adapters for the short posts a while ago, of course now i can't find them.
rolleyes.gif

jim_hoyland
The battery posts are sketchy; why would they be different from the regular batteries ?
Jamie
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 24 2020, 09:43 AM) *

The battery posts are sketchy; why would they be different from the regular batteries ?

This series of Odysseys come without posts, you have to add screw in posts and what I initially found available were this short.The screw in sockets are recessed below the top of the battery, making full use of the posts problematic.
jim_hoyland
Will these work ?
https://www.vmaxtanks.com/VCP8-8mm-Stainles...osts-_p_72.html
windforfun
What's all the stuff on top?
Mark Henry
Is that as far as it can go down? Is the clamp obstructed?

I have a PC680 it's posts stick a fat 1/8" out of the stock positive clamp and the FLAPS negative cable. But it does have a flat top (side) and I had to take the bolts out and spread the clamps wider to get them down that far.

IPB Image
rjames
Odyseey makes SAE terminals for $10. This is what I bought and there's plenty of room to properly seat the cables.

Click to view attachment

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/sae-terminal-kit/
nditiz1
My PC680 came with those terminals. I bought mine from Summit.
@Mark Henry - how much for that PC680 mount? I'd like one for my 6 conversion plz biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 24 2020, 10:19 AM) *

Here is the new Odyssey I installed yesterday, much smaller that the Optima it replaced. I made wooden blocks to keep the battery from moving laterally, and a steel strap down that I will improve later. The object wrapped in white foam on the top is the trickle charger that stays in place. I'm not pleased with the battery posts because they're too short, and will upgrade when I find suitable replacements.

Wow. That's a lot smaller. Per Odyssey, looks like it weighs 23.8 pounds.

Looks like the Optima I've been using is 39.54 pounds.

Mark Henry's PC680 appears to be 15.4 pounds.

These are getting pretty attractive, particularly for offsetting some of the weight of a six conversion.
Montreal914
I didn't use any posts, just connected the eyelet directly on the battery between washers. No problem in over 5 years of use. confused24.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 24 2020, 11:27 AM) *

Threads are way too big.
Jamie
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 24 2020, 01:45 PM) *

Odyseey makes SAE terminals for $10. This is what I bought and there's plenty of room to properly seat the cables.

Click to view attachment

I looked at these on the Odyssey site, but don't know how they are fastened to the battery? There isn't any info about how they are installed on the battery screw connectors of the PC925.
nditiz1
They screw in just like normal terminals
silverg
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 24 2020, 06:04 PM) *

@Mark Henry - how much for that PC680 mount? I'd like one for my 6 conversion plz biggrin.gif

It's hand made, if there was a market I'd make them, but I'd need at least 20 to get the price under $100.
It's basically 4 sides of an aluminum box and a couple of blocks, it sits on top of and hooks into the OE hold down, then uses the factory hold down bolt.

QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 24 2020, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 24 2020, 01:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I looked at these on the Odyssey site, but don't know how they are fastened to the battery? There isn't any info about how they are installed on the battery screw connectors of the PC625.

I just checked the 680 isn't a flat top, it has the same indents as the 925.
I'm using the same terminals as in the the pic, the block on the bottoms gets the terminal bottom flush with the battery top.
But note mine are different bolting as they have inset hex socket bolts and I don't remember the terminals being threaded, just the battery.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 25 2020, 07:40 AM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 24 2020, 06:04 PM) *

It's hand made, if there was a market I'd make them, but I'd need at least 20 to get the price under $100.
It's basically 4 sides of an aluminum box and a couple of blocks, it sits on top of and hooks into the OE hold down, then uses the factory hold down bolt.

Here's #2 of 20 for a PC680 mount if you offer them.

It looks super right—period-ish and not overdone, like something Clausecker might have made for the 914-8s. Love it exactly the way it's in your car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.