Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Restomod and Heavy Heart... I'm torn...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Blown59
I dont even know where to begin...

I just recently completed my first "major" restomod or refurbishmod and while I did a LOT of work, it may not be to the level that some of you guys have done. (some of you guys do an incredible job and mine pales in comparison) But this is a car built the way I wanted it. While its not 100% complete to my liking, (still wanted to recover my seats and rebuild the engine this winter) it is to a driveable state now. The engine does leak some oil on the heat exchangers because the pushrod seals leak as do the valve cover gaskets, I havent worried about fixing them since I planned on my winter rebuild.

Here is where things are getting difficult for me, I feel as if I'm at an impasse... A couple of other P cars have presented themselves to me, one of which is another 914 , that I dont want to pass up on.

My dilemma is to sell this current build as is without building the 2270 and keeping the new 914 I'm about to acquire... Or resell the one ive committed to purchase. Unfortunately, I dont have the room for them both. The ability to store one of them at this time or even within the near future is also out of the question. I also feel as if I'm having withdrawls, not having a "project" to work on. I really enjoyed this one and want to dig into another. It's almost become an addiction for me now that ive undertaken something of this sort already.

So, this leads me to realize selling my restomod may be something I have to seriously consider.

Being that the car was built for me and my liking, I'm not sure how much interest there is in it. Also, because it is more of a restomod, what kind of value would the 914 community place on this?

The floor pans were stripped to bare metal on the interior side. Steel flares welded in. Car sprayed in epoxy. Interior, underside, front and fenderwells coated with U-Pol Raptor Liner. Highbuild primer and base/clear applied. Engine compartment not yet refinished. Front suspension rebuilt and coated with Por15, all new bushings, turbo tierods. Struts/hubs from 911t have been refurbished/painted. New inserts and new bearings installed. Front M calipers have been rebuilt with new pistons and rebuild kit. Steering rack cleaned and refurbished, new puck, lube, etc. Traling arms removed and stripped and coated with Por15, 914 inner CVs rebuilt, outer 944 CVs, boxter hubs, with 916 rotors. New rear Bilstein struts with new 100lb 916 springs installed. Entire shift assembly removed, cleaned/stripped/repainted and lubes. All new shifter/linkage bushings/guides replaced. Headlight assemblies replaced with a gently used (almost NOS 911 bits). H4 housings with LED bulbs. Gauges have LED bulbs as well. New clear signal lenses. All Gaskets/rubber replaced with 914 rubber parts (Doors, targa, trunks front/rear). New windshield and trim. Seatbelts disassembled/cleaned and now properly retract. Custom fiberglass leather covered center console. Any part/bolt needing replaced was. Anything worth salvaging or in good usable condition was kept.
Rear trunk lock removed and covered with a flat emblem trunk straps installed in homage to GT cars. Front trunk cable removed along with factory latch lock. Hood release kept and used in conjunction with a fabricated latch catch as safety measure. Front hood has 4 traditional hood pins in respective locations.

I'm sure there is more that is "slipping my mind" at the moment, but these are some of the main things I can recall at the moment.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=762
765]Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Sounds and looks like you should keep it. If you want encouragement to sell, you need to come up with a price, and some documentation of the work (sorry if I missed a build thread).

I have a friend who is looking for a 914 and he's considered a wide body car, so there are probably a few buyers out there, concessions for your vision vrs buyers would be something to think about. Choice of color and optional upgrades will always effect price.
FWIW, any savvy buyer will want to see the typical problem areas in detail.

It looks really nice in the pics you've posted. The only suggestion I'd give is regarding the roof. With the painted bumpers and sail panels, a body color roof might have more appeal. If it were mine, I'd leave the roof black and put vinyl on the sails, but that's just me, and seeing the car in person always gives a different perspective.

Good luck with your decision. Back in '97 I sold my marathon blue 3.0 wide body that I'd thrown every trick thing I could at to get a '90 911, which I ended up trading on a Boxster in '00, which I had for about 12 years and sold, and eventually got a '91 Targa. After all that flushing of dollars (and sales tax), I still wish I'd have just stuck with the blue 3.0 914 hot rod.
infraredcalvin
That’s certainly a good start for someone to continue to work with, the issue you have is the big money shot items are left to complete, The motor and final paint, are some very expensive items. Put a price on it that you absolutely have to get in order to recoup some of your efforts and that you might need to put into the “new project”. If it sells than it was meant to be. Bets are you have way more into this than somebody is willing to spend...

BTW, at the right price, and pending pics mentioned above, I’d be tempted...
bandjoey
Dance with the One Who Brung Ya. Keep your car. They'll always be another 914 down the road.
ndfrigi
Beautiful job you have than to that car. Why not just keep
the car and finish whatever you want with it and this will have more memorable since you have history with it. Just my suggestion sir!
Mikey914
I'd keep it at least for now. You may not have room right now, but I'd bet for $80 a month you can get some space at your local Public storage. Store it for 7 months. Heck if you have room build the engine.

You are coming into the time of year the values tend to plateau if not drop a bit.
I'd bet that if you did nothing other than store it you would be ahead at least the $560 you pay in storage with appreciation and end of season adjustment in prices.

You can have some time to figure out what you want, and drive the other car as much as you can. You may just wind up flipping it.
IronHillRestorations
The only thing I'd add is that for me a 2270 4 isn't enough, not that it's a bad engine. A car like that needs 200+hp and torque to go with it. I have been tainted by the air cooled flat 6 though.
Blown59
Everyones input has already resonated within me at some point through this thought process. Yes, Ironhill, even yours... (But that's what I like about the restomod/hotrod aspect, we do our own thing) Seems everyone is quick to throw a flat six (or a bow tie) in a widebody, I choose to be different. This is why each of us builds or restores to our own liking. I want to keep the T4 in mine.

I still havent fully decided what im doing yet. The car I was supposed to purchase today, I've postponed until Monday. Where I will keep them both, I have no clue. I just know I cant keep them both.

I have had cars ive regretted getting rid of... And ive had others ive enjoyed more than the last. Something ive had to learn is they are just cars. Attachment can be a downfall if one is lost, but the memories will always remain. Memories and joy can be had and made with replacements.

Still uncertain as to what the right decision is... I doubt any of you can answer that for me. All the replies are much appreciated and carefully considered, but in the end... Ultimately it is I who has to decide what ia right for me.
Tdskip
Your build isn’t so personalized that it won’t be appealing, narrower but that not narrow of a market.

PanelBilly
Put an ad in you"re local PCA regions Facebook account looking for a spot to store your car. You might find a sweetheart deal with someone who has extra garage space.
ri914
That is a very nice build. I am sure it will sell for a fair price if you get rid of it. The question is really do you enjoy building them more than owning them.

I like building and owning but if I had to choose one I would just build them.

Everyone is different. Btw they make single post lifts you could store both 914's in 1 garage smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.