Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modern EFI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
After much thought and debate I've decided to go with a modern fuel injection set up.
MegaSquirt will be going in my car. I will have a lot of DJet parts for sale once we get started installing the new system.
All of the parts I will be selling are new or totally rebuilt. MPS, TPS, injectors, bowlsby injection harness, etc.
GregAmy
Congrats! Microsquirt was one of the best mods I've done to my street car. Starts foot off, idles immediately, warms up nice with a smooth idle, tip-in is great, and it's smooooooooooooth on the highway. Gets 27-28 mpg to boot.

Curious: why Mega instead of Micro? Are you planning individual CoP and sequential tuning?
Mblizzard
I have some matched 350 cc injectors if you need them. Have sets for stock intake and fuel rail. Good for about 2.3 liters. Had to go bigger for my 2.5.

Keep us posted as I have likely made every mistake possible driving.gif so might be able to help.
StratPlayer
PMB is going to do the install, I was just down there and some of the parts were arriving while I was there. The new injectors were included. special plug wires and things to assemble the harness arrived.
JamesM
Can't wait to see it.
ThinAir
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Sep 28 2020, 01:03 PM) *

PMB is going to do the install, I was just down there and some of the parts were arriving while I was there. The new injectors were included. special plug wires and things to assemble the harness arrived.

Eric was telling me about this at RRC when we were discussing possible causes for my issues. I told him the community needed a real "plug & play" megasquirt type system. He told me that this is basically what PMB has created. Great move!
GregAmy
No disrespect to Eric, of course, but The Dub Shop already has one:

https://thedubshop.com/dual-throttle-body-f...gnition-type-4/

I just designed and built my own Microsquirt system using the D-Jet induction system; I spent roughly $1800 out of pocket for components and supplies, no labor.

https://tgadrivel.blogspot.com/2020/03/on-m...914-part-1.html

Megasquirt is more expensive than Microsquirt; I have to wonder what the total cost will be (and what advantages for us over the Micro)? You'll certainly save coin by re-using the stock D-Jet induction; while perfectly fine for stock or low-mod engines, the induction will limit ultimate capability.

But the more choices, the better!
Mark Henry
You get nothing out of sequential in an aircooled. You have to stay at or above 3K rpm or else you're lugging the engine which makes the head temps skyrocket. This is both /4 and /6
Water cooled engines can run at 1500-2500 rpm where sequential can give you fuel savings.
This info is right on the MS home page.

COP... well what ever floats you boat, I think it's a lot of hassle for zero gain on our engines. For crankfire a coil pack is all you need.
Jake Raby
If anyone is interested I have two EFI systems that were pulled from test engines. They are complete. One is Electromotive TEC-S and the other is SDS.
Message for details
bgegel
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 30 2020, 04:09 PM) *

If anyone is interested I have two EFI systems that were pulled from test engines. They are complete. One is Electromotive TEC-S and the other is SDS.
Message for details

PM sent.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 30 2020, 04:40 PM) *

You get nothing out of sequential in an aircooled...COP...well what ever floats you boat, I think it's a lot of hassle for zero gain on our engines.

That was pretty much my full-stop. I decided "the juice ain't worth the squeeze" and went batch injection and wasted spark. Microsquirt was the clear answer for that direction.

Damn thing runs niiiiice.

Now to build an engine to take advantage of it...winter project...

GA

Edit: and please don't think this is me shittin' up your thread; no way, no how, not intended. Simply offering personal experience from my mind-farts on thinking this through already, yet watching with anticipation for your results!
Robarabian
PM sent.

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 30 2020, 02:09 PM) *

Message for details

Jake Raby
I replied to everyone. I'll get the systems out and see how complete each is.
I stopped using EFI a few years ago and stripped the Electromotive system off my 912E.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 30 2020, 09:46 PM) *

I stopped using EFI a few years ago and stripped the Electromotive system off my 912E.

Why?
Gint
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 30 2020, 06:55 PM) *

Why?

Kind of curious about that myself.
Robarabian
Jakes reply was he likes the older parts on the older cars. Maybe there is another reason, only he can answer. It just looks so TRICK!!
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 30 2020, 06:21 PM) *

Why?

Simplicity, and because I have to deal with enough complexity working with Modern Porsche engines. Trying to make an old engine new isn't appealing to me anymore. I'd rather keep the period nostalgia on the outside, and the trick stuff on the inside.
Gint
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 15 2020, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 30 2020, 06:21 PM) *

Why?

Simplicity, and because I have to deal with enough complexity working with Modern Porsche engines. Trying to make an old engine new isn't appealing to me anymore. I'd rather keep the period nostalgia on the outside, and the trick stuff on the inside.
Perfectly acceptable answer. Thanks
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Sep 28 2020, 12:30 PM) *

After much thought and debate I've decided to go with a modern fuel injection set up.
MegaSquirt will be going in my car.

Hey Jim, Good to see you got the ball rolling. Your car deserves the best.And, it's time for a plug&play integrated system specifically for the 914. smile.gif smile.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 15 2020, 08:34 PM) *

[ Trying to make an old engine new isn't appealing to me anymore. I'd rather keep the period nostalgia on the outside, and the trick stuff on the inside.

smilie_pokal.gif

Modern cars / engines / EV's have come so far with respect to performance, I too value vintage for what it is . . . vintage. EFI vs. carbs is still a hard call for me though.
Ian Stott
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 30 2020, 06:09 PM) *

Message for details

Contact me for the SDS Mark!

Ian
StratPlayer
My thoughts are the DJet setup is old and starting to show its age. Time for a new EFI
mepstein
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Dec 9 2020, 10:00 PM) *

My thoughts are the DJet setup is old and starting to show its age. Time for a new EFI

I just got plug in VEMS for my 3.2 for the same reason.
GregAmy
I'm running Microsquirt for the same reason...

I'm likin' the "plug in" idea, though...
draganc
Did I miss a pnp wire harness option for microsquirt?

Was just about to make one but would definitely appreciate
if someone could guide me into the right direction.

Thanks!
mepstein
The pnp vems harness and ecu is for a six. It replaces the motronic bits on a 3.2.
draganc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 13 2020, 04:44 PM) *

The pnp vems harness and ecu is for a six. It replaces the motronic bits on a 3.2.

Thanks for the clarification!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.