Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove Monza exhaust to go stock?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
Just got my first 914, a 71 Irish Forest Green.

Click to view attachment

It came with a Monza exhaust. I hate the look of it and I want to revert it back to stock.

Will I experience significant performance degradation in going back to the stock set up?

Should I reconsider this?

I invite and appreciate all advice you can offer.
914Sixer
You will enjoy the quite of the stock set up. No horsepower loss that I know of.
dhuckabay
Agree with the above. Put one on a 73 and removed it about 6 months later. Did nothing for performance and gave me headaches on long drives.
bretth
I think the Monza exhaust actually robs some horse power.
Frankvw
Congrats on your 914 and Welcome !!
There are some exhaust options, depending on what you want to spend. If you are willing to spend some $$ do some research on this site and maybe buy something else (depending on the route you want to go with the car)
dlee6204
Another vote for going back to stock.

Nice looking 914!
Cairo94507
welcome.png Great color. It is Irish Green. Definitely remove and toss the Monza exhaust and go with the SS heat exchangers and a good muffler and you will be much happier and so with the car. beerchug.gif
Johny Blackstain
I too don't like the Monza, instead I use the Bursch tuned exhaust. Single exhaust pipe like stock. The one thing I can say for certain is that stock is heavier than both. Much heavier dry.gif
betz
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 29 2020, 05:56 AM) *

I too don't like the Monza, instead I use the Bursch tuned exhaust. Single exhaust pipe like stock. The one thing I can say for certain is that stock is heavier than both. Much heavier dry.gif

Wow I guess I do have the Bursch, probably the only quality thing on my whole car. But mine is a rusty pile of junk funny seeing it there so shiny. It does sound pretty good though.
rjames
The monza exhaust is heavy. Lighter = faster. sunglasses.gif
fiacra
First off, beautiful car. Let's see more pictures and hear more about it.

I'm not a performance hound, so stock is generally my preference and I don't mind the few extra pounds it adds to the car. I think the stock exhaust system has a nice sound. My 1973 2.0 currently has a really loud muffler that the previous owner put on it and I have finally broken down and ordered one of Ben's quiet stainless steel mufflers to replace it. The neighbors will thank Ben, and I look forward to being able to hear my own thoughts when driving biggrin.gif. Your car, so your decision and your preference, but if you are soliciting opinions I'd say find a stock muffler or wait until @mb911 comes out with his stainless steel muffler for a 1.7. I hear it is in the works..... I would also say don't rush to change things --- drive it for a while and see what you really think about its current configuration. There is, in general, no rush to make changes.
Ansbacher
A Monza exhaust is the equivalent of putting playing cards in your bicycle spokes.

Ansbacher
mepstein
QUOTE(fiacra @ Sep 29 2020, 01:22 PM) *

First off, beautiful car. Let's see more pictures and hear more about it.

I'm not a performance hound, so stock is generally my preference and I don't mind the few extra pounds it adds to the car. I think the stock exhaust system has a nice sound. My 1973 2.0 currently has a really loud muffler that the previous owner put on it and I have finally broken down and ordered one of Ben's quiet stainless steel mufflers to replace it. The neighbors will thank Ben, and I look forward to being able to hear my own thoughts when driving biggrin.gif. Your car, so your decision and your preference, but if you are soliciting opinions I'd say find a stock muffler or wait until @mb911 comes out with his stainless steel muffler for a 1.7. I hear it is in the works..... I would also say don't rush to change things --- drive it for a while and see what you really think about its current configuration. There is, in general, no rush to make changes.

Ben/MB911 is making me up a batch of his stainless steel 914-4 1.7/1.8 mufflers. They should be available in a week or so. They are not the quiet version, those are built to order and $850 but they are the sport version with a single side exhaust. $550 each.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.