Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
The new 914 Rubber headlight adjusters with back-block just arrived; Will I have to re-aim the headlights ? Or can I R/R without ?
@Mikey914
Cairo94507
You will need to re-aim them. Before you disassemble, back the car into your garage as far back as you can and then roll the door down and turn the headlights on with the remainder of the lights off in the garage. Take some tape and mark the spot on the door where the "hot spot" for each light is. Then replace the adjusters and adjust to the marked spot. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
Thanks; great idea ! smile.gif
Cairo94507
Of course that begins with the assumption your headlights are adjusted correctly now....
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 29 2020, 04:03 PM) *

Of course that begins with the assumption your headlights are adjusted correctly now....

I guess you could do the same with a modern car to get at least a ballpark of where the lights should aim and the proper height cutoff then swap in the 914.
Or have a friend stop by with their 914 to set up the tape points.
Cairo94507
Assuming the heights of both cars are the same. beerchug.gif
FJ1200
This is a really good read in terms of aiming headlamps. I will be following this next week after a rebuild of my headlamp assemblies.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
bdstone914
@jim_hoyland
date='Sep 29 2020, 07:43 AM' post='2855229']
The new 914 Rubber headlight adjusters with back-block just arrived; Will I have to re-aim the headlights ? Or can I R/R without ?
@Mikey914
[/quote]

If you measure the distance the screw extends thru the block and reset to about the sane distance you should be close. Do tgem one at a time.
Mikey914
You will need to re aim as mounting can cause some variation. The good news is now you can easily do it without stripping the screws.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 29 2020, 05:49 PM) *

You will need to re aim as mounting can cause some variation. The good news is now you can easily do it without stripping the screws.

The new screws are smooth as silk ! Great offering
jim_hoyland
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Sep 29 2020, 03:47 PM' post='2855375']
@jim_hoyland
date='Sep 29 2020, 07:43 AM' post='2855229']
@Mikey914
[/quote]

If you measure the distance the screw extends thru the block and reset to about the sane distance you should be close. Do tgem one at a time.
[/quote]
That was a helpful idea... smile.gif
Mikey914
Also for those of you that have not seen these we machined an Allen head on these so they will not slip and strip out.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 29 2020, 09:02 PM) *

Also for those of you that have not seen these we machined an Allen head on these so they will not slip and strip out.

Yup, a great improvement !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.