Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Control Arm maintenance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
After watching Ian's video of rear shock replacement (Thanks Ian) I did it myself this morning.
Thing is, when Ian did it his Control Arm dropped noticeably after taking off the top nut.
Mine didn't, they stayed put and it took a fair amount of downward pressure to get them to drop low enough to clear the shock.

So I suspect mine need a little attention.
A little history about the car.....it hasn't been on the road in 37 years.

Any tips are greatly appreciated

Thanks
Steve
Jamie
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Sep 29 2020, 09:58 AM) *

After watching Ian's video of rear shock replacement (Thanks Ian) I did it myself this morning.
Thing is, when Ian did it his Control Arm dropped noticeably after taking off the top nut.
Mine didn't, they stayed put and it took a fair amount of downward pressure to get them to drop low enough to clear the shock.

Thanks
Steve

Does your car have a sway bar?
74ravenna
QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 29 2020, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(74ravenna @ Sep 29 2020, 09:58 AM) *

Thanks
Steve

Does your car have a sway bar?

Nope.
Chris914n6
That's good actually. The rubber bushing doesn't rotate thus the arm will stay at 'neutral'.

If it just fell then either the bushings have split (bad) or you have poly bushings or other aftermarket.
74ravenna
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 29 2020, 09:54 PM) *

That's good actually. The rubber bushing doesn't rotate thus the arm will stay at 'neutral'.

If it just fell then either the bushings have split (bad) or you have poly bushings or other aftermarket.

Oh good. I thought maybe due to inactivity they may have bound.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
barefoot
If you're into removing the control arms, here's my trick to get them back in exact position when re-mounting them.

I drilled a 1/4" hole up thru the outer mount bracket up into the body so I could pin the location exactly on re-assembly. Don't forget to ue the same number off shims on each side also. smile.gif
74ravenna
QUOTE(barefoot @ Sep 30 2020, 09:31 AM) *

If you're into removing the control arms, here's my trick to get them back in exact position when re-mounting them.

I drilled a 1/4" hole up thru the outer mount bracket up into the body so I could pin the location exactly on re-assembly. Don't forget to ue the same number off shims on each side also. smile.gif

thumb3d.gif Thanks for the tip. Not sure yet if I remove the arms or not but this bit of knowledge is appreciated.

Steve
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(barefoot @ Sep 30 2020, 08:31 AM) *

There are actually different thickness of shims, so don't mix them up side to side.
Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.