Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tachs - 914 vs 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gulf908
I am about to send my tach away to cure an attack of the bouncing needles on my 1970 914-6
I notice it has a 914 part number & dated Apr 1970
are there any material differences between the similar 911 part numbered tach of the day ?
also anything else to ask for to be done while I'm in there ?

TIA
Dennis smile.gif
Mark Henry
It is a /6 tach, it wouldn't work if you had it in a /4, the 914 part number the likely only difference from a 911 tach is the face/redline.
Better back lighting, but you would need to send the speedo and combo gauge to make it match.
ClayPerrine
The 1970 914-6 tach is calibrated for 6 cylinders. It has to have the "tach adapter" on the relay board in the engine compartment to work with the CD ignition on the 914-6. It is a miniature coil to up the voltage of the tach pulse coming from the CD box. In 71, they updated the tach to work with the CD ignition directly, and eliminated the tach adapter.

You could buy a tach from a mid 70s 911, and move all the guts over to the 914-6 case, including the face plate and the needle. Then just open the tach adapter and put a jumper wire inside it. It will look stock, and work fine.

Steve
I had a bouncy six tachometer. North Hollywood speedometer replaced all the capacitors. No more bounce. They also repainted everything. Looks and works like a NOS tachometer. Worth every penny..
scottthephotog
So are faulty capacitors the typical cause for a bouncy tach? Mine has quite a bit of bounce and I was thinking about trying to repair it one of these days.
gulf908
. . .the "tach adapter" on the relay board in the engine compartment . . .

thx Clay

are these adaptors readily available if mine needs one ?

Dennis
Mark Henry
I replaced my whole driver board. I now offer the service in Canada.

Bob Ashlock sells a Tack-Adapt, most use it to turn a /4 tach into a /6, but it also solves the bouncy tach issue.
About the cheapest and easiest option.

http://ashlocktech.com/
914Sixer
Please note, last time I had a tach face re-printed NHS covered over the factory numbers at the 12 o'clock position. No way to prove it was a factory item.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 3 2020, 07:30 AM) *

I replaced my whole driver board. I now offer the service in Canada.

Bob Ashlock sells a Tack-Adapt, most use it to turn a /4 tach into a /6, but it also solves the bouncy tach issue.
About the cheapest and easiest option.

http://ashlocktech.com/

Bob is one heck of a good guy and his kids are very nicely done and documented.
Steve
QUOTE(scottthephotog @ Oct 2 2020, 10:41 PM) *

So are faulty capacitors the typical cause for a bouncy tach? Mine has quite a bit of bounce and I was thinking about trying to repair it one of these days.

I sent mine in to replace the glass. They said the capacitors were leaking, so I had them replace them and when I got it back I noticed the tach no longer bounced.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Oct 3 2020, 02:10 AM) *

. . .the "tach adapter" on the relay board in the engine compartment . . .

thx Clay

are these adaptors readily available if mine needs one ?

Dennis

Oh Hell no!

Those are rare, and working ones are rarer than hens teeth. The same part is used on the early 911, and the 911 guys grab them up the instant they find one, working or not. You can buy an aftermarket tach adapter from MSD that will replace it, but it is a big square box, not a small round can like the factory one.

Here is what it looks like.....

IPB Image

And here is the MSD box that will replace it.

IPB Image

gulf908
Clay

thanks for your help on this

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
Mark Henry
The Tach Adapt IMO is better for bouncy needle, if you have an MSD and want to try the MSD 8910 red box tach adaptor I'll give you one, just pay for shipping.
But I don't think the 8910 helps bouncy tach, just one that won't trigger the tach when using MSD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.