Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine room rubber seal install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
Have a full set of seals for the engine tin to body joint. Mine have been slowly coming appart, and have recently gone down hill at an alarming rate. Time to install the new ones. Engine is still in the car. Any tips/tricks to make this easier?
john rogers
When I did mine and my daughter's cars I did the following:
- Removed the old rubber and cleaned the channel very well.
- Made sure the channel was smooth and straight.
- Made a helper tool from a small screwdriver and bent the tip slightly so it could work the seals in
- Did the front first as it was the worst.
- Lubed the hell out of the rubber and the channel with spray lube
- Took frequent breaks so as not to get frustrated
- Wished I had a lift as it would be MUCH EASIER then laying on my back in the driveway.
ottox914
did you just lay the seal out where it was going to fit, and push it in along its length, or do they slide in a channel from one end and you have to pull/push then thru to the other end? I hate to ask, but how many hours/days did this take? Would heating the rubber in hot water or with a hair dryer help?
MattR
Im pretty sure you'll save time if you drop the engine... I cant imagine this being even possible with the engine in there.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (MattR @ Jul 13 2005, 10:06 PM)
Im pretty sure you'll save time if you drop the engine... I cant imagine this being even possible with the engine in there.

agree.gif I just did it this weekend... and would have liked more room even WITHOUT the engine in...

the side seals weren't bad... front one was a PITA...

front an back I did this... I use needle-nose pliers and opened things up a bit, they slid right in, then I went back with big piers and closed the channel down... once I figured out that trick... NO sweat! beer.gif WD-40 didn't hurt matters either...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.