Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me assess my rust situation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
Hi everyone

Just bought my 71 Irish Green 914.

I've been posting a lot with newb questions and you have all been GREAT with your support.

I've had the chance to take some pics of the rust problem spots and wanted to:

1. get some feedback on the condition. (How bad is it?)

2. get some referrals to porsche body shops in the southeast (NC, VA) that could fix the rust. (Any estimates on repair costs?)

drivers side jack point

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

passenger side jack point

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

hell hole

Click to view attachment

passenger side suspension area

Click to view attachment
djway
Add braces then start removing material until you get to clean metal. Only way to know.
bretth
If you can see that much rust then there is more behind that you can't see. Would expect a few thousand to have done for you. But there is definitely worse out there that has been saved. Looks better than mine.
mb911
Doesn't look to bad. Definitely fixable
9146C
I suspect most who have completed this repair would agree...until you can effectively view the internal condition of your longitudinals, you won't know how bad the corrosion issue is.

This endoscope could be your friend!

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Waterproof-...e/dp/B01MYTHWK4

It works with your smart phone and takes great video/pictures.

There is a factory (hole) at the top of the longitudinal on the top side within the engine bay...you can get this camera into that "port" and snake the camera down into the long on each side.

At least you'll get a better picture of what you've got.

For what it's worth, I bought my car and drove it for 17 years with a Brad Mayeur chassis stiffening kit on the passenger side...it was placed over rust far worse than yours and my car had no flex/door jam issues during the time I drove it...until I decided to do a correct repair of the passenger long.
DRPHIL914
mine was similar to that, there was a lot of rust in the longs and jack points but none in the hell hole at all, but still required a good bit of repair to take ti back to solid metal and remove all therust. removed the rear 1/3 floor pans, opened up longs and replaced the jack points on side of long and up a bit into the wheel house, they rust out from the bottom up due to the trapped water etc. definitely fixable but you can do it for sure. all the parts are available with Restoration Design and AA.

bkrantz
I agree with 9146C about using a scope to see inside the right long. You might get some idea of how extensive the rust is.

The other thing to do is pull up the carpeting, especially under the seats and poke HARD at the floor. Likewise along the rear edge of the trunk floor. And look inside the rear fender wells, along the door opening and up into the targa sail.

If you are considering having a body shop do any serious amount of work, be prepared to spend more than the car is worth.
Tdskip
What is your goal for the car? Keeper or just want to drive it? Is this your only classic or are there other cars with needs?

How much can you put aside to make it right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.