Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beautiful 914 on BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
daytona
There is a beautiful 914 wide body on BAT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-pors...aign=2020-10-03

The exterior, interior, engine bay and trunks are beautiful, But....... in my opinion the car is let down by the seats. I don't understand why people build these super 914s, with the potential for speed and handling, and then leave the standard seats. The seats in the car are beautifully done, but in my opinion lack lateral support. Just saying. But this 914 should sell well none the less.
Bill.
mepstein
They also hacked up Ben’s terrific headers but at least they changed it to a side shift.
Current owner paid a lot for that car. Over six figures I believe.
EdwardBlume
Let’s have fun and guess the final bid amount. Winner gets a matchbox 914.

I’m guessing $62,000
sithot
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 3 2020, 09:28 AM) *

They also hacked up Ben’s terrific headers but at least they changed it to a side shift.
Current owner paid a lot for that car. Over six figures I believe.

Car was in Hemmings for "a while".
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Oct 3 2020, 09:48 AM) *

I’m guessing $62,000

I think the final bid will be higher. $71,000. Nice looking car and people are throwing $ at these cars lately.
sithot
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Oct 3 2020, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Oct 3 2020, 09:48 AM) *

I’m guessing $62,000

I think the final bid will be higher. $71,000. Nice looking car and people are throwing $ at these cars lately.

Thread from 2019:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...337056&st=0
eric9144
I predict a no sale (bidding won't hit reserve) considering it's former public asking price.

Interesting build but there are little things that bug me like stock seats, euro front signals not separated in the housing and the 901 seem like a compromise...

I really do like how they continued the body color through the interior but with nearly zero carpeting/deadening its going to be race car loud all the time.

All in all really cool beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Oct 3 2020, 05:50 PM) *

I predict a no sale (bidding won't hit reserve) considering it's former public asking price.

Interesting build but there are little things that bug me like stock seats, euro front signals not separated in the housing and the 901 seem like a compromise...

I really do like how they continued the body color through the interior but with nearly zero carpeting/deadening its going to be race car loud all the time.

I agree. It's hard to sell a custom shop build for what you pay. Especially a 914-6
sithot
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 3 2020, 05:55 PM) *

I agree. It's hard to sell a custom shop build for what you pay. Especially a 914-6

You can't build one as cheaply as buying one already done and usually at a discount.

I know of a TR6 that ended up $90K+ all in. It was one of the finest builds I've seen and used a more rare '69 model that was pristine to begin with.
The owner checked of darn near everything in Richard Good's parts catalog was and more was spent elsewhere. Toyota 5 speed conversion, Nissan R200 differential.
The owner decided to sell it after less than a year of ownership. He was lucky that the shop that built it has a stellar reputation and good following of British Car fans. Still lost about $30,000.
On the best day an original-original TR6 might crack $40. Might. This was not a car to spend a bunch of money on and blow past market value.
The best analogy for cars like this is that the buyers funnel is turned upside down (narrow). You want the wide end!

Great example currently on BAT:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-triu...aign=2020-10-04

brcacti
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 3 2020, 02:55 PM) *

Yeah that is also my guess.
pete000
My guess "Reserve not met"
Jett
$76,914

The interior noise concerns me, although straightforward to fix
PlaysWithCars
Damn! That's a good looking car. I like the way they left some body color on the inside. The firewall its that noticeable though and will transmit a lot a lot of engine noise. Think I would have covered it.

Think it will bid up to the high 60s, but probably won't hit the reserve.
eric9144
Looked at the pics again and had me scratching my head even more...
GT style front hood... Steel rear hood?
No sway bar? (front or rear)
Stock /4 rear brakes?
Chassis/Trailing arm stiffening not mentioned nor visible in pics
blink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Oct 5 2020, 01:53 PM) *

Looked at the pics again and had me scratching my head even more...
GT style front hood... Steel rear hood?
No sway bar? (front or rear)
Stock /4 rear brakes?
Chassis/Trailing arm stiffening not mentioned nor visible in pics
blink.gif

I think they made a great looking "show car" but didn't work out all the details for a super conversion. Maybe underestimated how long it takes to do a really special car or just ran out of budget. I don't know.
EdwardBlume
47K with 4 days left. beer3.gif
Cairo94507
I just looked at this car this morning. It looks better in person than it does in the pictures IMHO. Yes, it could use some minor work here and there but overall it is a terrific build. The drivers door cup does have some minor bubbling that will require some paint work. Aside from that the car presents very well. The underside is very clean as well. I confess I sat in it and played with the J West Renn Shift to see how it should shift. Mine will hopefully shift that nice when done.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 5 2020, 12:37 PM) *

I just looked at this car this morning. It looks better in person than it does in the pictures IMHO. Yes, it could use some minor work here and there but overall it is a terrific build. The drivers door cup does have some minor bubbling that will require some paint work. Aside from that the car presents very well. The underside is very clean as well. I confess I sat in it and played with the J West Renn Shift to see how it should shift. Mine will hopefully shift that nice when done.

Click to view attachment

Geez, if you’re in the market come and buy the ABM!
Cairo94507
Sorry, one is enough for me. I was just there and saw the car so I checked it out. beerchug.gif
raynekat
From what I remember, this was a +$200k build.
For this reason, it will not sell as the bids will not be high enough to take it away.
That's my guess.
Reserve will be well North of $140-150k.
sithot
"The drivers door cup does have some minor bubbling that will require some paint work."

From my experience in old 911's and a 356 restorations, it's what you cannot see that will kill you. This car should have NO ISSUES for the price they hope to achieve.

$200,000 restoration? Not quite.
mepstein
I thought it sold for $125 but I’m not positive.
ValcoOscar
idea.gif
Wish it was listed on "Bring a Trader" instead.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
73-914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 8 2020, 11:29 AM) *

idea.gif
Wish it was listed on "Bring a Trader" instead.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Very NICE for a "Ta pray.gif ildragger"
EdwardBlume
$72M with 3.5 hours left....
$83M with 2+ hours left
$87.8M with 1 hour left
$93M at 90 seconds
raynekat
I think Gaswerks had this for sale on The Samba back awhile ago for $150k....not quite the $200k number I had in my mind for some crazy reason, but still a substantial amount.

The BaT sales price of $93.5k was considerable lower.

Someone...either Gaswerks previously or the BaT seller lost some money on this build I would think.
Still a nice car after you get the paint bubbling issue in one location addressed. Weird to have that on a "new" build.
Jett
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 9 2020, 06:45 PM) *

I think Gaswerks had this for sale on The Samba back awhile ago for $150k....not quite the $200k number I had in my find for some crazy reason, but still a substantial amount.

Someone...either Gaswerks previously or the BaT seller lost some money on this build I would think.
Still a nice car after you get the paint bubbling issue in one location addressed. Weird to have that on a "new" build.

For me it would also need sound deadening, carpets, sway bars, and chassis stiffening...

Nice car!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 9 2020, 10:20 PM) *

QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 9 2020, 06:45 PM) *

I think Gaswerks had this for sale on The Samba back awhile ago for $150k....not quite the $200k number I had in my find for some crazy reason, but still a substantial amount.

For me it would also need sound deadening, carpets, sway bars, and chassis stiffening...

Nice car!

i saw this car 2 years ago at Werks reunion and Amelia island when it was first shown, its a beautiful car and the attention to detail and worksmanship is second to none, it sold and this current sale i believe was for the new owner , represented for him by Gaswerks , so the person loosing the $$ was the guy that had it for 2 years and resold it. i can say its hard to understand, i mean this car was so much better than some other cars that i have seen sell this year for more. Maybe the market has softened a bit, not sure. but if i had had $100k to spend there are few cars i would have picked ahead of this one, but thats just my opinion based on having seen the car in person.
its a fickle market, i think someone got a pretty good deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.