Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC ricer kill story
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Tonight we were coming home from our softball parctice and I was driving Barbs Caddy SRX. Its got the sweeeet northstar 32 valve. This Civic with the fart can and a big wing cuts me off getting onto 190 and takes off. The boys are like get him dad so I gotta save face in front of my kids. We zip up next to him and he starts to pull out on us so I gas it and come back up next to him. We are into the triple digets now. cool_shades.gif As I pull up on him I just have one hand sort of draped over the wheel and give him one of those glances over my left sholder finger.gif Then I put the gas to the floor and that car just came to life. driving.gif aktion035.gif There are a bunch of these cars running around with the V6 they are fun but with the V8 oh man are they FUN. We got home and I told Barb about it before the kids had a chance She failed to see the humor in it spank.gif slap.gif
jimtab
Sorry man but with kids in the car, I agree with the wife, you cant trust the butthead in the other car, and who knows what could go wrong...and for what...?
bd1308
whats your shirt say?

smooth_eddy
Too many road rage incidents. Why encourage another? E
SirAndy
ah man, i'm sorry. that must hurt ...

your car buddies teaming up with your wife as a collective voice of reason!
wacko.gif Andy
Brando
You 'race' people with your kids in the car?

Wait until their' at least 16 or so...
Aaron Cox
feel the burn sad.gif

agree with the wifey.... be an example, if you like to race, do it where the consequences ONLY affect YOU unsure.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jul 13 2005, 10:23 PM)
be an example, if you like to race, do it where the consequences ONLY affect YOU

and where would that be? confused24.gif
on the moon? mars? venus?

even on the race track, there's a pretty good chance that the "consequences" of your actions will affect more people than just you ...
wacko.gif Andy
Andyrew
As a rule of thumb, I back down on the streets at 100...

Either by myself, with others.. ext. I will stop at 100 and test my brakes back to speed limit.

SirAndy
i used to commute 100km one way each day for a year in one of these:

user posted image

on that daily drive, there were sections of the autobahn were i would get over 200km/h and it didn't feel a bit unsafe. and that car is tiny!
the SRX is HUGE compared to the Renault Twingo ...

just the fact that he was going over 100mph doesn't have to mean it was unsafe ...
cool.gif Andy
Jeroen
So what you do to the Twingo to make it go 200 km/h???
Put a Renault 5 turbo engine in it?
redshift
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 14 2005, 03:40 AM)

Jees Andy, I had no idea..

Folks, can we have a moment of silence..

M'k..

M
spare time toys
I should have said for our non DFW folks that 190 is a six lane tollway where if you are not doing close to 80 most of the time you get ran over. Its nice new road that there are videos on the web of guys doing well over 140 for miles on it. Then you have the bike guys that go down the road saving thier front tires doing wheelies at 70 for as long as they can. I have been driving along about 70 and see a bike coming up on me with the guy standing on the rear pegs and pull the front end up and go past on one wheel and just keep it there for 3 or 4 miles screwy.gif
tat2dphreak
190 is like a DFW autobahn... 3/4 of the people here are too cheap to pay the $.75 tolls rolleyes.gif and the people who do get on try to "beat" the tolltag sensors by flying down the road... a vette was shown 'cruising' through the toll booth at 140 on TV not long ago... they couldn't give him a ticket because the camera couldn't make out the plates...

bikers on crotch-rockets and guys in their camaros, white 'wife-beaters', and ricer boys, and the BMW/Benz crowds fly down the road... 65 is the 'posted' speed limit, everyone does 80+ though...

that said, I never break 100 in anything, anywhere... not worth the risk, especially if my wife is in the car.

sorry Lar, I'm kinda with the wifey on this one, to a degree... if the kids weren't in the car, I'd back you up... but your kids are all great! My wife even said how precious your daughter is... we'd hate for anything to happen to them...

sorry, but someone dear to my wife was killed racing his 944 turbo down 75...

SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jul 14 2005, 04:24 AM)
So what you do to the Twingo to make it go 200 km/h???
Put a Renault 5 turbo engine in it?

naaa, A3 has a couple of nice looooonng downhill sections between Limburg and Köln ... biggrin.gif

btw. the LCD speedo only goes up to 199km/h so when you hit 200, it just goes back to 0. meaning, when you do 205 it just shows 5 ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
mudfoot76
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 14 2005, 11:16 AM)
btw. the LCD speedo only goes up to 199km/h so when you hit 200, it just goes back to 0. meaning, when you do 205 it just shows 5 ...
rolleyes.gif Andy

hijacked.gif
I'm totally amazed! I would not have thought a Twingo would break 200kph even if dropped from an airplane!

I had a chance to drive a Renault Kangoo on the Autobahn, south of Koln, while back, and that was aerodynamically limited to about 185 kph, and was scary all the while....

olav

I drove a Renault Mangoo and it barely went 120kph!! smile.gif
Hawktel
Thats awesome that you took him to school. I'm behind you 100%. Kids grow up wrapped in cotton these days. Atta boy from me!
jd74914
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jul 14 2005, 02:29 AM)
As a rule of thumb, I back down on the streets at 100...

Either by myself, with others.. ext. I will stop at 100 and test my brakes back to speed limit.

I totally agree. I do the same thing.
grantsfo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jul 13 2005, 11:40 PM)

user posted image

on that daily drive, there were sections of the autobahn were i would get over 200km/h and it didn't feel a bit unsafe. and that car is tiny!
the SRX is HUGE compared to the Renault Twingo ...

just the fact that he was going over 100mph doesn't have to mean it was unsafe ...
cool.gif Andy

When my wife and I were in Italy I drove an Opel Corsa that looked something like that Renault, but the fastest I could get it to go on the Autostrata was 160. ....Not bad for a 1.0 liter car!

Chased a Lotus Elise through the Italian Alps in the same Opel, my wife wont forgive me for that "drive" to this day, although she never said stop chasing him? We hung onto the crazy Italian driving the Elise for at least 8 kilometers until the road opened up. Then he ran away at high speed.

Mr.C
My wife won't let things go either. When I was young and dumb I raced a guy on the 163 in SD with my 914 at a 120mph while she was pregnant. I look back and just ask what was I thinking? All I can say was the intoxication of the moment overtook me.....I think I was possesed. I don't do that anymore, but I can't blame a guy for doing it either. IT'S SO DAMN FUN! laugh.gif
MecGen
Hey

No matter what people say...
your kids KNOW you are the coolest dad around smilie_pokal.gif
my old man, made a point of racing teenagers, in his sleeper 67 Ford Fairlane, 390 4 bbl, 3 on the tree. Station Wagen. I was 8 years old in the pass seat, he would smoke the tires as he shifted into 2nd...good times.

Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
1bad914
My 21 year old son still remembers the car, day, road and destination of his first trip to triple digits in a car. He still says that it was one of his favorite cars that we owned. 1992 Honda Accord station wagon. dry.gif

I recently spanked a ricer in a Honduh, big body kit, lots of stickers, fart can and the proverbial wing! My wife and 12 year old where in the BMW, she did not like it, the 12 year old wanted to do it again!! As long as you are safe and are aware of your surroundings you can have fun. We did not even exceed 100 on that exchange, he gave up after I blew by him on the entrance to the highway!

I've been to 125 in my 914 with a 2056, it was fun, but I was by myself and really did not feel that safe, considering I did all the work on the resatoration if the car failed it would be my fault.

My wife has said that she may not ride with me when the V8 is done, which will be in the next 2-3 weeks.
DBCooper
Lots of wide open spaces in Texas, with flat, straight, empty roads. My 80 year old mother was visiting from California. We were driving and talking, big fat quiet Acura RL. I noticed we were at 80, no big deal, then had an idea. Went to 85, still talking, then 90, then straight to 100. "Hmmmm, Mom, have you ever gone a hundred miles an hour?" "Me? Why no, of course not!" "Well now you have, Mom" "You stop that right now!" Later I heard she told that story to the aunts and uncles, giggling like a teenager the whole time.
jimtab
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 13 2005, 07:49 PM)
whats your shirt say?

It says, "I am the man from Nantucket." happy11.gif
airsix
Life is a compromise between being safe and living. Sometimes you have to be safe, and sometimes you have to live. If you live too much you die early, but if you don't live some of the time you just exist. To only exist is to have a miserable...existence. I saw a T-shirt once that read "You'll never see a motorcycle in front of a psychiatrist's office." Now riding bikes is a risk I personally don't take any more, but I believe in the concept and apply it in other ways. Think back on your life. Think about some of your best memories. Chances are some are of events about which you say "I wouldn't do that again!", but yet you hold onto those memories like they were an olympic gold medal. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's all about risk management.

-Ben M.
jimtab
QUOTE (airsix @ Jul 15 2005, 08:36 AM)
Life is a compromise between being safe and living. Sometimes you have to be safe, and sometimes you have to live. If you live too much you die early, but if you don't live some of the time you just exist. To only exist is to have a miserable...existence. I saw a T-shirt once that read "You'll never see a motorcycle in front of a psychiatrist's office." Now riding bikes is a risk I personally don't take any more, but I believe in the concept and apply it in other ways. Think back on your life. Think about some of your best memories. Chances are some are of events about which you say "I wouldn't do that again!", but yet you hold onto those memories like they were an olympic gold medal. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's all about risk management.

-Ben M.

agree.gif But, having said that, I still think that street racing with others in the car is unconcionable.
mharrison
It never fails to amaze me that people think 99mph is OK and 100mph is dangerous. 80% of the time that is where other people let off the gas.

In some situations (yes even on the street) 150 in the right conditions is safer than 35 in the wrong conditions. (Not that 150 is safer than 35, but the CONDITIONS dictate what is safe.)

I just don't get the 100 mph "magic number". The numbers don't designate safety. The road surface, surroundings, the vehicle, weather conditions, etc designate what speed is safe.

Now, I haven't touched what is LEGAL, and I am staying far away from the "kids in the car" thing.
spare time toys
I guess a bunch of folks read kids and think of litte 5 - 6 year olds and get hung up on the age thing. The boys are who was with me Matt is 13, 6' tall 230 lbs of baseball/football playing monster. Cam is 15, 6' 1" 215 pounds and a swimming and softball playing freak. They do more dangerous things in everyday screwing off than taking a short burst of speed with Dad in a new car that has more airbags that the Titanic had life vests. Lets see new car, new tires, new 6 lane road. all of us in seat belts, no trafic other than the riceboy behind me and he is fading away. Would I do it again YOU BET and I bet most of you would also cool_shades.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (jimtab @ Jul 15 2005, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 13 2005, 07:49 PM)
whats your shirt say?

It says, "I am the man from Nantucket." happy11.gif

California guys know about that huh.gif

Who knew?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jul 16 2005, 10:55 AM)
I guess a bunch of folks read kids and think of litte 5 - 6 year olds and get hung up on the age thing. The boys are who was with me Matt is 13, 6' tall 230 lbs of baseball/football playing monster. Cam is 15, 6' 1" 215 pounds and a swimming and softball playing freak. They do more dangerous things in everyday screwing off than taking a short burst of speed with Dad in a new car that has more airbags that the Titanic had life vests. Lets see new car, new tires, new 6 lane road. all of us in seat belts, no trafic other than the riceboy behind me and he is fading away. Would I do it again YOU BET and I bet most of you would also cool_shades.gif

oh, I was thinking your Daughter was in the car... your 'boys' (hard to call them that, they are bigger than you or me, maybe both together) I'm sure are fine! smile.gif

don't sweat it... my DD takes an act of congress and big brasss bawls to get to 110+ and it's not fun..
Rgreen914
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Jul 15 2005, 03:50 AM)
"...sleeper 67 Ford Fairlane...Station Wagen."

Joe

Since this thread is about Texas, and you brought up the Fairlane story, I seem to remember a similar '67 Fairlane wagon at the '69 NHRA World Finals at Dallas (DIMS). An East coast racer named Richard Charbonneau was running one in Stock Eliminator, but his was equipped with a 427 and a four-speed! Even with the 7"- wide tire rule of that era, wheelstanding that car was no trick! Curious thing, there was always a group of guys in blue shop coats (with Ford emblems) around this car and they they seemed to do all the work on it! I've often wondered what the dealer option code was for a wagon with a NASCAR, side-oiler motor; never saw another one like it, anywhere!

Ron
snflupigus
5-6 year olds... right, probably not the coolest thing to do --- your boys... they're gonna drive like that anyway, might was well learn the right circumstances now...

Like teaching gun safety... guns are extremely dangrous to people who are ignorant on how they work and what they are capable of. They are not so dangerous to those of us who know how they work and how to use them.

Driving fast is not dangrous if you've been trained to do so. Example: What does it take to get your license in Germany again? smile.gif

Now if the ricer was keeping up and going side by side at 120--- I'd have let off. In the rearview he posed no threat. I like to think of my driving style as "constantly getting out of everyone elses way" vs. defensively watching out for everyone else.

man i cant beleive how many people came down on you for that... LOL

airsix - love that post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.