Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Fan Replica
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RolinkHaus
piratenanner.gif Thought about these applied to steel rims. What’s your thoughts , you guys are either going to love them or hate them. My 914 is lowered so they may look pretty awesome popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
AZBanks
I think they have serious potential.
horizontally-opposed
There was a blue 914 race car running turbo fans, BBS maybe?

It looked great out on track, as seen from another 914. 5-10 years "too new" for a 914, but certainly well within the 914's heyday in IMSA and SCCCA competition.
RolinkHaus
Click to view attachment
raynekat
I think wheel fans are uber cool.
Great potential for a 914 build.

I'm thinking of something far out there on the next build.....

Click to view attachment
VegasRacer
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Oct 3 2020, 10:41 AM) *

What’s your thoughts , you guys are either going to love them or hate them.

You asked.

icon8.gif barf.gif icon8.gif barf.gif
Superhawk996
I'll leave the styling element alone. As stated, they are either lover or hate depending on personal preference.

Other considerations:
Adding rotating mass to wheels is never desirable with respect to acceleration, ride quality, or steeing feel.

Cooling of brakes will be mininal. Forcing air though small holes on steel wheels is a losing proposition. Likewise any fan "pumping" effect would be stealing wheel horsepower.

914's are not particularly known for having brake fade probems when driven on the street.

If brake fade becomes a problem, brake rotors are the 1st stop. Bigger, vented rotors add thermal mass and offer better cooling than stock front solid rotor. The larger rotors add thermal mass that delays the onset of fade by heating up more slowly. In the end they will eventually saturate with heat and you'll still get fade but it take longer.

Brake pads would be another prime choice to address fade before add on wheel fans for any sort of performance improvement.

Becuase the wheels (and fans) are recessed behind the bodywork or flares they are not in a great location to even pump air. They are basically in the boundary layer of flow along the bodyside. At worst, they are in turbulent flow created as air spills over the leading edge of the wheel arch. Not a great location to pickup cooling air. Brake cooling ducts would be far more effective at getting air to the brakes than wheel fans.

Finally, forged aluminum wheels are typically stiffer (helps handling) than steel wheels and they also offer thermal mass effects. Aluminum wheels help pull heat out of the brake rotor (via conduction though the rotor hat to the wheel lug surface). Aluminum is a pretty good conductor of heat. The down side is that heat evenutally ends up affecting the tire pressures more but it's a small price to pay for the stiffness and thermal mass effect.

The reasons above are why wheel fans never took off. But if you're looking for something unique, I can see the draw.
PanelBilly
Nope
tazz9924
i gotta plan for some of those piratenanner.gif
RolinkHaus
Crude, but sexy. wub.gif drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
URY914
don't.
Mueller
Not digging the bug...rims or parts of rims shouldn't protrude past the fenders...my opinion of course.

Good article on Petrolicious with "properly" fitted fans smile.gif

https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-is-h...g-to-the-street
RolinkHaus
I agree, it's extreme. I would never camber out my wheels. My other option would require me to flare the fenders, which will happen some day.
Click to view attachment
bkrantz
QUOTE(raynekat @ Oct 3 2020, 03:36 PM) *

I think wheel fans are uber cool.
Great potential for a 914 build.

I'm thinking of something far out there on the next build.....

Click to view attachment

Next build? I thought you were reformed.
horizontally-opposed
Can't believe I am saying this, but I think those white BBS wheel fans could look pretty good on the OP's 914. I have always liked white wheels on red cars, and that lowered red 914 with big black bumpers might end up ultra graphic with this setup. They could end up really ugly, in which case you sell them on.

The bug isn't my cup of tea, but I have often liked the wheels that have been inspired by wheel fans—whether the old dished Ronals for A1 and A2 Golfs or Racing Harts for early Civics or all sorts others including the original 750iL wheel, Porsche "manhole" alloys, and the Porsche Gruppe B concept and early 959 wheels. And don't forget the early 190E wheel covers, at least in Europe.

Agree with feedback that they shouldn't protrude from the fenders, and that they won't be functional unless you get the wheel wells and leading edge aero correct. The fins do look awfully thick, pushing the plates way out, and I'd never install these on steel wheels. But…to each their own!
sixnotfour
15x8 turbo trans am wheels. long studs bullet nosed, extra long hub centric bearing cap, custom 22mm hex lug nuts 15-5 SSHTH900, deluxe rattle can paint,Super deluxe decal package,,what's next ??? valve stem and rubber...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.