Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: zinc U clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
Went to my local hardware store looking for yellow zinc U clips and they had them in black. I would rather buy a box of them vs buy them one at a time. Called 914 Rubber and they were not available. They look to be about a 5/32 and are used all over the car (especially in the dash).
Does anybody have the correct size and a source to buy a box of these bad boys?

TIA
bdstone914
@Speedo

Can you post a picture of the part?
aharder
Belmetric has a nice selection.
aharder
reasonable pricing also
bbrock
QUOTE(aharder @ Oct 3 2020, 04:44 PM) *

Belmetric has a nice selection.

agree.gif There are a few sizes used on the car. Most are 4.2 or 3.5 but you need to download a copy of the parts catalog from Porsche Classics and look up the screws that go into them.
rgalla9146
Wurth , McMaster-Carr, Grainger.
Often called speed clips or tinneman clips

Also consider re-plating your used ones.
Tedious wirebrushing to prep but guaranteed correct.
bbrock
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 3 2020, 06:38 PM) *

Wurth , McMaster-Carr, Grainger.
Often called speed clips or tinneman clips

Also consider re-plating your used ones.
Tedious wirebrushing to prep but guaranteed correct.

Make sure they bake them after plating to reduce hydrogen embrittlement. I had a few slip into the non-bake batch when I had hardware plated and they all snapped when I tried to use them. The ones that got baked were fine.
Speedo
Here we go...
Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(Speedo @ Oct 4 2020, 08:02 AM) *

Note the "4" and "2" stamped on that one. That is a 4.2 metric size speed nut. You can Google the SAE equivalent size from that if you want to replace with American hardware.
FJ1200
Here you go.

https://www.belmetric.com/speed-clips-c-10_...inc-p-7363.html
bdstone914
@Speedo

' date='Oct 4 2020, 07:02 AM' post='2856516']
Here we go...
Click to view attachment
[/quote]

Thanks for the picture. Note that the one you pictured is basically square. In some apications the distance on the hole to the edge matters. An example is the clip on the bumper for the fog light grill.
I like Mcmaster Carr as they have a fully dimensioned drawing. But they do not have much in yellow zinc. I sometimes buy samples to test them for fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.