Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusted my valves and have a question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burlybryan
Howdy. Adjusted the valves for the first time on my new-ish to me carbed '74 1.8.

I noticed that the interface between the valve stem and adjuster on the #2 exhaust valve shows some rust or discoloration. The previous owner had the engine converted to carbs and the crank ventilation trap is plumbed to a bung that was welded to the valve cover right next to this valve. Could the water vapors being introduced to this area cause corrosion? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks!

Bryan
bdstone914
@burlybryan

I would be more concered about the marks on the valve keeper at the 7 o clock position.
maybe the rocker it hitting it. And the jam nut has damaged points.
Have you done a compression test after the adjustment? Rust on the valve seats is worse.
burlybryan
I think that's just a reflection from the light. Haven't done a compression test yet.

All of the jam nuts are buggered like this. sad.gif
burlybryan
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 4 2020, 11:26 AM) *

@burlybryan

I would be more concered about the marks on the valve keeper at the 7 o clock position.
maybe the rocker it hitting it. And the jam nut has damaged points.
Have you done a compression test after the adjustment? Rust on the valve seats is worse.

Compression test 90 across the board icon8.gif Engine does consume oil and smokes on acceleration. Sooty plugs. Supposedly was rebuilt 5000 miles ago, but the PO was not very forthcoming with details.
bretth
Just to be sure, do you have the carb throttles wide open when doing the compression test? IF not you will see a significantly lower compression reading.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Oct 5 2020, 10:21 AM) *

Compression test 90 across the board icon8.gif Engine does consume oil and smokes on acceleration. Sooty plugs. Supposedly was rebuilt 5000 miles ago, but the PO was very forthcoming with details.

Engine Hot?
Throttle open?
Was your compression test before or after you adjusted your valves?

Have you done a leakdown test to see where you are leaking, and how much?

It sounds like its probably time for a top end rebuild for the engine, but its worth seeing where the leaks are.

Zach
burlybryan
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 5 2020, 09:44 AM) *

QUOTE(burlybryan @ Oct 5 2020, 10:21 AM) *

Compression test 90 across the board icon8.gif Engine does consume oil and smokes on acceleration. Sooty plugs. Supposedly was rebuilt 5000 miles ago, but the PO was very forthcoming with details.

Engine Hot?
Throttle open?
Was your compression test before or after you adjusted your valves?

Have you done a leakdown test to see where you are leaking, and how much?

It sounds like its probably time for a top end rebuild for the engine, but its worth seeing where the leaks are.

Zach

Warm, but not hot. Throttle clamped WO. Stupidly didn't do a comp test prior. Leakdown is next up. Definitely worth poking around some more before declaring it a rebuild. Thanks.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Oct 5 2020, 12:07 PM) *

Warm, but not hot. Throttle clamped WO. Stupidly didn't do a comp test prior. Leakdown is next up. Definitely worth poking around some more before declaring it a rebuild. Thanks.

Actually, I think its safe to say that you need a rebuilt top end at this point.

I would still do the leakdown to make sure that your jugs are not leaking around the case due to register collapse, but with all the symptoms that you mentioned it sure sounds like your rings are toast. IF the engine was rebuilt 5K miles ago, I bet a LOT of corners were cut.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.