Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapons grade versus more subtle 914/6 builds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rhodyguy
Akers is a well known business in Seattle. The engine in today's dollars? The trunks are dissapointing. The birds nest wires where the jack should be? The car has no antisway bars. East coast. Ship or roll the dice til you get home? The $ adds up. You get a ticket trying it out on the way home and give the handwritten BOS to the Trooper. dry.gif potencial major time suck hassle. 'Insurance card please'. Then you go to change the title and endure the out of state inspection. rolleyes.gif Then a wife that doesn't 'get it'? 50+ large? sad.gif then you start spending more money while you're in there cleaning it up. hanged.gif
mountainroads
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 17 2020, 09:30 AM) *

$43k no sale is an interesting data point for "more subtle" six conversions as the mechanicals/conversion are very appealing, and the paint looks really nice in a great period color.

I don't blame the seller for keeping the car, and think some "easy" things held this 914 back from generating higher bids with that crowd—stock brightwork and mirrors, brake calipers that aren't painted red, deep sixes with period tires, a period Momo with a horn button, a fresher interior, a rear valance for a sport muffler, no engine-side sound insulation or factory -4 insulation, etc etc. All details/matters of taste, but the 914s that seem to do well nail the details and are more or less "factory right" plus widely accepted or liked upgrades such as 16-inch Fuchs or Euro lenses. This car seems to have the expensive, time-consuming stuff (paint/body and six conversion) very right, and would have been a steal at $43k in my view…as the new owner can sort the easy/fun stuff to their liking while enjoying the car.

Many folks, including myself, have misjudged how expensive and time consuming these projects can be. Perhaps I'm too much of a purist and you can color me dumb for asking, but why oh why would you take the (presumably) functioning MFI off of a 2.2 S motor and replace with PMO carbs, as the BAT ad states? That's almost sacrilege sad.gif

- MR
Tdskip
Answer = Sound and the original ones had carbs.

That said, personally im going FI.
mountainroads
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 17 2020, 08:53 PM) *

Answer = Sound and the original ones had carbs.

That said, personally im going FI.

Honest discussion questions. Not being argumentative:
1) The sound is different? I've had several cars with both and it never occurred to me there was any sound difference at all if using the same air box(s). I reinstalled the MFI on a 911-E after driving with Webers for a while. Although I *thought* the MFI was more responsive, I didn't notice any sound difference. (Not that I was specifically paying attention for that.)
2) I get the "look" thing, but then why bother with an original 911-S engine?

- MR

Gint
It sounded like seller of that car on BAT was not actually the owner. And the engine swap elements described in that auction text left a lot to the imagination. It's quite possible that whoever sold the 2.2 engine took the MFI off of it to use on something else before selling the engine. Again, just another opinion.
Tdskip
Agree that the details left a lot to be desired including what the scoop was with the engine. It just felt a bit all thrown together.

@mountainroads - The 911 engine with carbs on it have a different intake noise in my experience. Some prefer the sound, others are scared of fuel injection systems.
Matty900
Currently driving home from picking this one up in Las Vegas that I couldn't build for anything close to the purchase price.
Not sure what I will ultimately do with the car but the plan at the moment is to learn everything I can with this one.
Tdskip
That is a lot of 914. Specs?
Tdskip
Next up: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-20/

Not sure this one is going to break $30K. Local to SoCal in case anyone in the local mafia is interested.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 19 2020, 08:44 AM) *

Next up: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-20/

Not sure this one is going to break $30K. Local to SoCal in case anyone in the local mafia is interested.

I'll make two comments:

1) At least the battery is in the right spot. happy11.gif

2) That car is exactly why I've chosen to build my own.
Cairo94507
That car needs some work. I would think $25K is a decent buy. beerchug.gif
mountainroads
Interestingly, the builder took the trouble to move the ignition to the left of the steering column. Not an easy conversion detail.

- MR
Tdskip
Over $36k out the door to the buyer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.