Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weapons grade versus more subtle 914/6 builds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tdskip
So it certainly appears if one uses BAT as a reference point that weapons grade 914/6 builds have been fully excepted as “worthy” the Porsche market.

Nearly all of those builds, however, have been high dollar endeavors, and while highly impressive machines many of them seem a bit compromised for actual road use or touring.

Any thoughts on where 3.0 and 3.2 L builds that are not taken to the max now trade?
Racer
BAT is an outlier of many things.. Their writing and presentation being key. once you leave the world of stock, imho, you enter into the buyers desires.. Some like 2.4-2.7l cars.. others want a whole hog 3.6.

Either way, Execution becomes key. Folks on BaT seem to have a lot of money to spend on their toys. Color, condition, records of any restoration/rebuild of the body/engine/brakes and trans all impact value of the modded car. And then the picture also gets muddled when high $$ /4 cars pop up and go for $40-75K.

I would guess a livable range for 3.0-3.2 cars with a "history" to be $40-50k cars.. but its not the car, its the BUYER that makes it all happen. There was this nice one that never hit $30K https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-39/ which I think surprised many
Tdskip
Thanks for the thoughtful and insightful reply. That is actually a great reference point that you posted, I think nice as opposed to outrageously (aka weapons grade) nice cars are probably still in that general range?
mepstein
QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 5 2020, 10:15 AM) *

BAT is an outlier of many things.. Their writing and presentation being key. once you leave the world of stock, imho, you enter into the buyers desires.. Some like 2.4-2.7l cars.. others want a whole hog 3.6.

Either way, Execution becomes key. Folks on BaT seem to have a lot of money to spend on their toys. Color, condition, records of any restoration/rebuild of the body/engine/brakes and trans all impact value of the modded car. And then the picture also gets muddled when high $$ /4 cars pop up and go for $40-75K.

I would guess a livable range for 3.0-3.2 cars with a "history" to be $40-50k cars.. but its not the car, its the BUYER that makes it all happen. There was this nice one that never hit $30K https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-39/ which I think surprised many

agree.gif Unless I'm missing something, that car was a hell of a deal.
Tdskip
Is the take away from that one sale that you need to put flares on the car?
VaccaRabite
UNless you are building to sell, build the car you want and will enjoy. Chances are someone else will too when they time to sell comes around.

If you are building just to sell, that's when you want to be concerned about current market trends.
Tdskip
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 5 2020, 10:45 AM) *

UNless you are building to sell, build the car you want and will enjoy. Chances are someone else will too when they time to sell comes around.

If you are building just to sell, that's when you want to be concerned about current market trends.

Good morning. Really just exploring/discussing the evolving market. Don’t know much, but enough that I know I can’t build one like the $100k cars and not to get into flipping builds.

mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2020, 11:29 AM) *

Widebody does bring more money but it cost money to get there.

I don't know anyone who builds project cars to sell at a profit without having a customer lined up and footing the build. If shops could build on spec and make a profit, they would absolutely do it. It's tough being married to a customer for a year or three while you build their car. I don't generally see private individuals selling project cars at a profit either.
Someone once told me in real estate, you make money on the buy side". It took me a while to understand but I believe buying and selling cars works the same way. "
eric9144
I think it's interesting how few of the "right" cars really come up on BAT... Lots of BUB's and lots of questionable cars, occasionally some good stuff... but the really good ones are few and far between.

The WMD builds lol-2.gif have gotten somewhat out of hand to financially pull off at this point, man you got to be really into it to go build out a 914-6 clone for >$150k and you've also got to know you can never sell and come anywhere close to a break even. That being said, you have to be "all there" mentally and physically to get in and drive them without fuch'ing yourself. Think that's why they come up on BAT...

The sweet spot conversion cars are like the 73/74 2.0's... People are holding the good ones and not selling, or selling rarely and/or not on BAT at all.
Cairo94507
We have all seen some really well done conversion cars with larger displacement motors, 2.7 & up. If I would have been interested in more of a street hot rod I would have gone with a conversion car with flares and a 3.0 with Webers, moderate suspension, moderate chassis stiffening, front oil cooler, RS finished Fuchs, and a good paint job- not a Concours level paint job. I think those cars can be had for $40K-$50K. The trick is to know what you want, recognize it when you see it, be able to go see it in person (ideally) and then whip out the cash offer on the spot and have a trailer parked around the corner. beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2020, 08:29 AM) *

^ I think that's sort of the conventional thinking right now.

Six conversions that sell for "big" money seem to take a certain "crowd pleasing" look, and M471 flares do seem to be connected to that look. Two still stand out as high-water marks for me:

Sold for $52k + fees for beautifully presented 2.0T (!) six conversion with flares (9/7/17)
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-porsche-914-6-gt/

Bid to $103,914 for a beautifully presented 3.6 six conversion with flares (5/12/20)
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-6-9/

There are plenty of other examples, but these two auctions strike me as bellwethers—and the takeaway for me is that a new (and/or returning) crowd is clearly interested in the 914, and likes the flared 914s more than narrow 914s.

While it's nothing more than a hunch, I think there's trickle-down ahead much as we've seen with other models. It starts with headliners that get hot (356 Speedsters, Carrera RS 2.7s, 930s, etc), and the rising tide eventually raises the other ships. There might be waves with economic cycles and other influences, but what typically seems to happen is 1) the headliners are Hoovered up and prices get superheated, 2) buyers become more sophisticated as they gain new eyes for and perspectives on that era and "discover" some of the better kept secrets that are maybe subtle but similarly wonderful in their own right (356A or C coupe, 1967 911S, 911 2.2, etc).

I don't have a crystal ball, but I can see where 914s with flares might eventually lead to greater appreciation of the narrow cars. In high school, I wanted to flare my car but couldn't afford to. I still love the GT flares, but have grown to really like and appreciate the clean lines of the original design—particularly when it's presented well. My guess is that the market might follow a similar trajectory...
horizontally-opposed
Fwiw, I have driven a lot of weapons-grade 914s, but only two that were actually fun to drive. The others were fast, but I am not sure they'd put much distance on a well-driven 914-4 down a back road because they were kind of a mess. Fast, yes, but hardly dialed. I remember driving one 914-6 3.8 with all the right stuff (915, S4/965 brakes, etc) that routinely trounced just about anything in a straight line back around 2000 alongside a milder 914-6 3.6. The 3.8 had you on your toes all the time, and you were nearly fighting with the car just to feel reasonably safe while you hauled, while the 3.6 felt like a 914 that had been built by the factory with a 993 engine. It was this car, and I think it was a steal in light of some of the other prices I've seen. There are some visual changes I'd make, but those are easy. Sorting a car is where the real art lies...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-28/

The best (most fun) 914 I've ever driven had a 2.2-liter 911S engine with MFI and short gears. Someone here on the World bought it recently. Now that was a smart buy...and that car remains a target for my own 2.2.
Tdskip
@horizontally-opposed - thanks for the thoughtful posts, good stuff.

Dialed-in and factory feeling is the goal. The '74 911 has a 3.2l in it but is still a narrow body but has been upgraded in a bunch of ways that don't really show (suspension etc). It is just 14/10ths competent vs a stock '74 if that makes sense, hugely satisfying and I've gotten out of it after 1,000 mile trips wondering where the time/miles went because I was ready for more.

That is my goal for the 3.2l build I'm picking at while wrapping up a couple (non-aircooled) builds. Wondering, all that said, if I'll need more rubber to handle the 3.2L engine even if I try to out drive the tires...

I regret not grabbing a occasional 2.2 or 2.4 that have come up for sale...but expect to pick up a 3.0l from before Oct ends. So....
eric9144
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 5 2020, 01:58 PM) *

Sold for $52k + fees for beautifully presented 2.0T (!) six conversion with flares (9/7/17)

Bid to $103,914 for a beautifully presented 3.6 six conversion with flares (5/12/20)
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-porsche-914-6-9/

The white one is absolutely fantastic wub.gif I wish I'd been in a position to bid on that one...it checks all the boxes for me chowtime.gif

The driving video on the blue one is almost anxiety inducing driving.gif

I do appreciate that there are fringe builds out there that are clearly getting an audience and that people have taken a greater interest in how amazing the 914's really are, were and can be.
Tdskip
@mesptein - do your customers ever ask for a "mild" 914/6 conversion or is it call big $?
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2020, 04:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 5 2020, 10:15 AM) *

agree.gif Unless I'm missing something, that car was a hell of a deal.

agree.gif someone dumped a sh#tload of $$$ and most likely didn't profit from the sale the PO or current owner/seller I'am thinking....lot of money in the motor alone.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2020, 06:59 PM) *

@mesptein - do your customers ever ask for a "mild" 914/6 conversion or is it call big $?

The shop where I used to work does 98% aircooled 911. The majority of the conversions are 3.2/3.4 or 3.6/3.8. These days, 911 guys want the big engines so it's mostly 3.8's. They've done one 914-6 conversion even though the owner is a 914 fan and has two 914 race cars. Most of the shop builds are $2-300K so it's well beyond what most 914 are looking for. I don't think the website has been updated for a while but they are at -
www.rswerks.com
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2020, 06:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2020, 06:59 PM) *

The shop where I used to work does 98% aircooled 911. The majority of the conversions are 3.2/3.4 or 3.6/3.8. These days, 911 guys want the big engines so it's mostly 3.8's. They've done one 914-6 conversion even though the owner is a 914 fan and has two 914 race cars. Most of the shop builds are $2-300K so it's well beyond what most 914 are looking for. I don't think the website has been updated for a while but they are at -
www.rswerks.com

Thanks for the response Mark, sounds like the dynamic is similar however in that people bringing cars to a builder are generally really having them built.

There was a local shop here in town that did a mild / narrow body 914/6 build before they retired and it ended up being $40k+. I remember the owner muttering something like “they should have just spent $20k and really done it up.

Coondog
While both those cars are top notch, Eric scored the deal of the Century when he bought the Patrick Motor Sport built “Big Laguna”. That same car in today’s prices would set you back 200k coming out of PMS.
mepstein
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 6 2020, 09:24 AM) *

While both those cars are top notch, Eric scored the deal of the Century when he bought the Patrick Motor Sport built “Big Laguna”. That same car in today’s prices would set you back 200k coming out of PMS.

agree.gif 1000%
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 6 2020, 06:24 AM) *

Totally agree. That was the deal of a century.

ClayPerrine
As the builder of a "Weapons Grade" conversion I have to comment.

I have probably spent 40K on engine and trans alone. I don't know for sure, as I don't total any receipts. It is blindingly fast. But I am still working out the bugs, and I still have not sorted the chassis issues a year after getting it running.

I did it because I wanted to, and somebody said that you can't put a boxster/cayman trans in a 914 without cutting the rear trunk out.

But mostly I did it because it was there. I am a horsepower junkie.

I built the car for me. If I ever sell it (I probably will keep it till the end), I will definitely lose money. But I get to enjoy it and brag about it. That was worth the money!

Clay
eric9144
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2020, 06:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Oct 6 2020, 09:24 AM) *

agree.gif 1000%

Going through the paperwork I know I bought for between 1/3 and 1/2 it's "finished" cost... first.gif

*keep in mind also, a lot of these builds take 3-5+ years and involve lots of parts hunting, drama and sorting out, mine was no exception to that, TBH I don't think I'd have the patience to go through it all
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Oct 5 2020, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 5 2020, 01:58 PM) *

The white one is absolutely fantastic wub.gif I wish I'd been in a position to bid on that one...it checks all the boxes for me chowtime.gif

That white car was really presented well, both in terms of the photos and video—but also in terms of the build's overall restraint and period looks. Visual decisions, details, ride height, etc. Squint and it's the Sonauto car that won Le Mans. My gut is the 914s the market will favor in the long run are the ones that look like something either the factory could have built or something from the period. Not always, but generally—as a result of broader appeal and as a result of today's seven-figure GTs. Not sure that will translate to 916-look cars as much, or NB cars for that matter, but it will be interesting to watch.

What was interesting to me about the white six conversion is that it got to that (record setting) price on Fuchs the aren't finished properly, BF Goodrich tires, and the weakest flat six of them all. All three might suggest, to many buyers at least, corners cut. Rightly or wrongly, they're looking for Weidman-restored Fuchs, Avons or Pirellis, and at least a 2.5 under the engine lid. But the car was so well done it didn't matter, and the fact it went for that much back in 2017 really impressed me. And yes, I really like the car too!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2020, 03:59 PM) *

An excellent question....

The customers for "mild" conversions are out there, whether due to taste or budget. One of the coolest examples I've found is this car—I find it really, really appealing…on par with some of the best flared conversions out there but for different reasons.

https://patrickmotorsports.com/blogs/news/9...road-rally-trim

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2020, 04:50 AM) *

www.rswerks.com

Cost to build a mild or a wild six conversion isn't all that different if both are all inclusive (metal work + full paint + interior + engine/trans + suspension/brakes/wheels/tires). So I can see why most builds go wild (big six, flares, etc), and not sure I could resist myself. Suspect the nice narrow cars are a bit like a John Willhoit 356B or C coupe. Same $350-500k ballpark for a complete restoration, but on a car that will likely never be able to justify that cost. But the person wants what they want, for whatever reason (nostalgia, utility, subtlety, etc), and is willing to pay for it because there's no exact alternative. As I understand it, the Willhoit cars trade between Willhoit customers at a super premium over analogous cars—because those patrons know how long and how many $ it takes to do one of those cars.

I don't see that happening—on that level—for the 914 world, as the 356 and 911 are just different beasts. Is anyone doing $150-250k in metal work on a 914 (before paint!) as yet?

What's funny to me about the 914 is that, the more time I've spent in various Porsches, the better it holds up. This goes for 356s, 911s of all eras, the "ultimate" Porsches, the race cars, RSRs, etc. Not saying it's better, but it holds up surprisingly well given the "press" it always got. I didn't expect that, as I always accepted the idea that my 914 was a "starter kit" Porsche to budding Porsche enthusiasts, the one you discard as you as you get that used 911 SC, or whatever. But as other Porsches have come and gone, whether as press cars or my own cars, the 914 is the one I've kept, and the one I keep coming back to. Its branding heritage—for those who care—is a mess, but its identity is clear. Both as a Porsche design and engineering project, and as a simply fantastic sports car.
eric9144
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 5 2020, 06:55 AM) *

Nearly all of those builds, however, have been high dollar endeavors, and while highly impressive machines many of them seem a bit compromised for actual road use or touring.

Back to @TDSkip 's original topic question...

Mine is a 3.8, "all out" open checkbook build--I was in the right place at the right time and as a life long 914 guy it was the 10/10ths car I never thought I'd personally own. I didn't really even consider the drivability so after 8 months of ownership and about 1500mi I can answer that to some degree.

Like Clay, I'm a HP junkie but also a 914 junkie, two worlds collide and it's magic happy11.gif

For actual road use, I'm not going to lie, it's actually pretty f*ching amazing-- 911 TT fast and 914 characteristics. The front end is seems a litte stiff to me, but outside of that I really can't complain about ride quality--keep in mind my chassis has all the stiffening available, as well as the trailing arms and extensive tubing and suspension bracing. The drive train is incredibly well sorted (now that its been "rescued" and is being driven). Starts on 1st crank, trans feels fluidly smooth (915 wevo). Inside the engine bay looks like it was all factory thanks to well sorted wiring/tins etc.

So on the package level, its really put together well, to the point where it could be a daily driver.

On the "touring use" side of things...well...I'm getting there, having grown up with 914's it never really occurred to me that it wasn't a good idea to jump in and make super long trips, it was my car and that's what it was for confused24.gif

My only beef with driving my "WMD" to something like WCR (500 mi one way for me) is the noise--on my car there's no sound deadening on the FW in the bay or in the cabin so the noise, while not outright annoying, isn't really conducive to long distance touring per say...when I'm not in the throttle, the exhaust tone isn't bad really, but still louder than is comfortable for long trips. I plan on addressing that and I my goal is to make it the most civilized version of it that it could be. Ironically it has an audiophile stereo installation that I don't really turn on.

Gratuitous photo op wub.gif

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Hi @eric9144 - I understand about engine noise in these. Funny, I don't recall ever thinking my other 2 914-6's were loud when driving. But that was almost 30 years ago.... these days, with my 3.2 and Ben's SS heat exchangers and quiet muffler I do not believe it is the exhaust that bothers me. It is the engine noise itself. I wear soft foam earplugs when I drive the car and that makes it completely comfortable and still allows me to talk and hear my passenger.

One of the things on my list is to install the stock 3.2 air box and snorkel. At present I have a K&N that dumps right behind my head. I think that may be part of the noise problem. I want to route the stock box so it sits on the passenger side of the car. I will get to that eventually.

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Oct 6 2020, 09:25 AM) *

On the "touring use" side of things...well...I'm getting there, having grown up with 914's it never really occurred to me that it wasn't a good idea to jump in and make super long trips, it was my car and that's what it was for confused24.gif

My only beef with driving my "WMD" to something like WCR (500 mi one way for me) is the noise--on my car there's no sound deadening on the FW in the bay or in the cabin so the noise, while not outright annoying, isn't really conducive to long distance touring per say...when I'm not in the throttle, the exhaust tone isn't bad really, but still louder than is comfortable for long trips. I plan on addressing that and I my goal is to make it the most civilized version of it that it could be. Ironically it has an audiophile stereo installation that I don't really turn on.

Gratuitous photo op wub.gif

^ Love the wheel change—nice to see you're making that car your own…

Since 1990~, I've driven my 914 as far north as Washington state, and as far east as Utah. Back then, I was like you: It was my car, so of course I drove it. But, other than a trip to LA for Luft one year, long trips have been rarer lately. Some of that is midlife crunch, and some of it is having more comfortable options…something I didn't have back in the 1990s.

As for sound deadening: The factory knew what it was up to with the firewall deadening both sides in the 914-4, and we took a risk in leaving the factory stuff on the engine side of my six conversion, just adding a few extra anchors to make sure the 911 cooling fan didn't suck it in. Years later, so far so good. Car is still a lot louder on the freeway than it was with the four, but that's okay as I don't use the car for touring all that often. With that said, I have sometimes wondered about whether a bit of deadening on the underside of the engine lid and maybe even a dual-pane rear window (seems like it would be easy to do, and I think it's been discussed here) might help when the top is on?

At odds with all this is my desire to keep these cars light…
Mueller
At certain price points potential buyers expect a stripped to bare metal chassis rebuild, is this something you are willing to do or can accomplish?

Just slapping a 3.0 or even a 3.8 into a 914 isn't going to make it a high end build which would be fine for some buyers since they don't want or can afford a full rotisserie rebuild.

Just look at the current BAT '71 911 with a 3.0 motor. Decent looking car and so far only $21K bid (a few hours to go)

Mark Henry
Do you plan to drive it, show it or flip it?

My 3.0/6 has a sort of well done colour change that was done in the 80's, it has paint chips all over, but it's still respectable paint. Every year I think I should repaint my teen and every year I get more paint chips.
The thing is I drive my 914, sometimes I drive it hard, if I was worried about the paint it would suck all the joy out of driving it. So I've come to the conclusion I'll never have a show quality teen and I'm okay with that. I just want to enjoy my 914.

I'm a horsepower junkie as well, mine might not have the ponies of a 3.6-3.8, but it's a twinplug 3.0 with healthy Web cams which is more than enough power for the street for me. I've been almost daily driving my 914 all summer.

My face has a stromberg.gif chowtime.gif biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Oct 6 2020, 11:25 AM) *

Ironically it has an audiophile stereo installation that I don't really turn on.

I put an good radio in my car years ago. But it would take me about 10 minutes to figure out how to turn it on because I never really listen to music... other than the "music" coming from right behind me.

Clay
Cairo94507
I installed a period correct Blaupunkt with the stock 2 speaker pods and that is it. I don't turn it on-more for the looks. But of course it does work as I it was restored before installation. I did add an electric Hirschmann antenna.
Coondog
I settled my long drive noise issues with two options

# Turn the stereo up louder
# Ear plugs
Cairo94507
Hi Greg - Yeah, I wear soft ear plugs already. beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
The only way to come out on top financially is to buy an exceptionally nice car that somebody else has built. beerchug.gif

The real pay off comes when you actually use it. driving.gif A lot.
Superhawk996
Watching with interest.

I may be the last builder of non-WMD out there from what I can tell. I'm not chasing HP.

2.4L planned. Staying with 901 trans.

Just want a period correct six and to keep the car as light as possible. I will certainly lose money doing this but intend to keep it until I'm no longer vertical in this world.
eric9144
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 6 2020, 01:01 PM) *

Watching with interest.

I may be the last builder of non-WMD out there from what I can tell. I'm not chasing HP.

2.4L planned. Staying with 901 trans.

Just want a period correct six and to keep the car as light as possible.

Like Pete said, honestly that's one of the best combo's possible, you won't regret it--light and nimble and genuine fun without being overdone beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Great discussion gentlemen, really appreciate all of the shared experiences and thoughts.

Mark H - I build my cars to drive, and honestly a bit scruffy makes that easier. I want to be able to park it, look back at it while walking away and then spend zero time worrying about it. The best drive ever was in my 5 shades of red 911, and now that it is freshly painted and "nice" I wonder if I'll enjoy it less.

Personally my rule of thumb is anything I buy / build has to be capable of making a run up the coast to San Francisco an enjoyable experience. That "rule" kicked the MGA out of the garage recently (sigh), just too much of a toy.

No doubt that a 3.2L will make the SF run with power to spare but I do worry about the NHV considerations. The 2.0L/Type4 that I flew into Oregon to pick up and then Rachael and I drove down the coast was never an issue with NHV or noise. Those big dollar builds on BAT driving videos are fun to watch but honestly make me wonder how long before you'd get too ride and noise fatigued.

@superhawk - was leaning towards that same engine but then the 3.2l became available and it was close to the same price and, well, there you go....

The 911 has a 3.2l but there are back seats and comparatively loads of space separating the engine from where you sit.

Last quick thought - it is very nice to be able to just bounce these build considerations around and reference other cars that we have experienced. I know I am stupid lucky to even participate on threads like...
mepstein
It should be easy to make a 3.2 build quiet and comfortable. Stock injection with stock air box. Modern noise reduction inside cockpit. Might double it up on firewall. One of Ben's quiet mufflers. Don't go ultra low profile on the tires and play with tire pressure. Even the sixes are a lot lighter than modern cars.

You may want to change the 5th gear for cruising. A 3.2 in a 914 can handle lower revs than a small engine.
john77
@eric9144 what a stunning car. I started flaring my car last weekend. It's silver too but I'm toying with a color change - yours has got me second guessing myself though.

Does the front valance have the cut out for the oil cooler? I was looking at the style on the PMS website but haven't seen one on a car.
Gint
I'm putting a 2.7 with CIS in my /6. I always said that in a stock-ish 914, 170-ish horsepower should make for a really fun car without being too fussy or costing a fortune.

Lengthy trips + Bose QC30 = works for me.
sixnotfour
my first was a six...soooooooooooooo never really liked the clang bang rattle of the type 4 sale...
RickS
3.0 with Webbers conversion, front oil cooler, real six heat exchangers and oil fill plumbing, 6s and 7s, stiffening Kit, side shift with Rennshifter, combo gauge, Nurburgring seat, full Elephant suspension, rear fenders professionally flared, power windshield squirters and kept looking relatively as stock looking on purpose. No leaks, great compression and everything 100% functional. Paint needs 3 small spots remedied

So what are the best shots at value?

Click to view attachment
Gint
Ok, now that I've read the entire thread instead of just pieces...

I'm building mine for myself, on a realistic budget, to drive (if I ever get it finished). It didn't hurt that it's a real six that I purchased for $8500 nearly 20 years ago and drove it home from NorCal. Ultimately I want something closer to the original formula of the 914/6, rather than a "weapons grade" build. But that's just me. I can appreciate the "weapons grade" 914s on BAT. Beautiful cars. This one is currently doing it for me. Dig the gold. Kind of wish I'd painted mine that color.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-914-6-8/
john77
My car is pretty similar to yours, although with a 2.7RS spec engine and not as clean.

I’ve been keeping an eye on sales for the past couple of years as I thought I might need to sell mine at one point, and depending on miles I’d say anywhere between $32K-$42K.

QUOTE(RickS @ Oct 6 2020, 07:15 PM) *

3.0 with Webbers conversion, front oil cooler, real six heat exchangers and oil fill plumbing, 6s and 7s, stiffening Kit, side shift with Rennshifter, combo gauge, Nurburgring seat, full Elephant suspension, rear fenders professionally flared, power windshield squirters and kept looking relatively as stock looking on purpose. No leaks, great compression and everything 100% functional. Paint needs 3 small spots remedied

So what are the best shots at value?

Click to view attachment

Tdskip
It will be interesting to see some narrow body /6 conversions come up on BAT or trade here.

I'm thinking that based on the weapons grade sale prices there is a mad rush to build replicas of the big dollar builds.

Nice cars gentlemen!
mepstein
I don’t think there will be a mad rush to build anything. Your usually underwater on any six conversion unless you buy someone’s project car.
Tdskip
Professionals know that, but there are a lot of arm chair want-to-be people that will learn the hard way.
Marv's3.6six
I too have my weapons grade 3.6 hot rod, it was built by me beginning in 2005. I built my vision of what Porsche would built given what was available at the time, I am happy with the car... but its more than a decade on now and tastes change, now I do not drive it at anything over about 3/10's. In the last few years I have made concessions for comfort, something I would not have considered when building it. The car when built was loud and rowdy, a beast. Now I have taken the edge off that by adding one of Bens quiet mufflers and installed a fresh air fan in the cabin to cool off the driver. I love my car but I do have to drive it with ear plugs and at times she can be a bit cantankerous and as such I really hesitate to drive any distance.
eric9144
QUOTE(john77 @ Oct 6 2020, 03:25 PM) *

Does the front valance have the cut out for the oil cooler? I was looking at the style on the PMS website but haven't seen one on a car.

@john77 Yes mine has the cut out but it's more like a modified LE valence--the one the currently sell is slightly different @Coondog has that one on his car (I believe it also has the cut out)

Pic:
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.