Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rare fully automatic 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a mechanic just sent me pictures of this 914 and did not even know that it was an automatic!!!!!Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment
fixer34
So a flipped 411 transaxle??
mb911
Well that works..
Superhawk996
Each time I think that I've surely seen the worst stromberg.gif that can be done to a 914, a new example pops up. screwy.gif
Mueller
I saw a fully automatic 914 down in San Jose years ago, the guy swapped the engine and transmission from a Fiero into it.

IronHillRestorations
20+ years ago I got a call from someone wanting me to put an automatic in a 914. I told them to get a Boxster with a Tiptronic.

I am automatically curious as to how they did that though lol-2.gif
bretth
Weird. Is a bus tranny with a flipped ring gear?
mb911
My dad would love that solution for him. He had polio as a kid hard for him to push in the clutch.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 5 2020, 07:17 PM) *

20+ years ago I got a call from someone wanting me to put an automatic in a 914. I told them to get a Boxster with a Tiptronic.

I am automatically curious as to how they did that though lol-2.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
ejm
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Oct 5 2020, 06:18 PM) *

So a flipped 411 transaxle??

Nope.. 411 didn't have the atf fill pipe going into the side of the pan.. I'm thinking VW Dasher or Audi Fox... no gear flipping needed
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 5 2020, 07:31 PM) *

My dad would love that solution for him. He had polio as a kid hard for him to push in the clutch.

I'm certainly sympathetic to those that can't physically operate a clutch but there are plenty of alternatives out there w/o cutting up a 914.

I have a Father In Law that is about 6' 4" and has a good sized beer belly. Funniest thing I might have ever seen was seeing him try to drive my Miata. Not all people are meant for all cars. He fits perfectly fine in a full size truck, SUV, or full size sedan. No sense tearing up a Miata to make it fit him.
FJ1200
Dasher or fox would have the entirely wrong bellhousing. I am thinking air cooled bus, variation on the 087 trans.

Dan
mb911
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 5 2020, 04:09 PM) *

I'm certainly sympathetic to those that can't physically operate a clutch but there are plenty of alternatives out there w/o cutting up a 914.

I have a Father In Law that is about 6' 4" and has a good sized beer belly. Funniest thing I might have ever seen was seeing him try to drive my Miata. Not all people are meant for all cars. He fits perfectly fine in a full size truck, SUV, or full size sedan. No sense tearing up a Miata to make it fit him.

My dad sold his 64 356sc for a boxster with a tip.. He has a 914 project he really hasn't worked with much this year. He is hopeful he can drive it when its road worthy.
ClayPerrine
Back when I was still fixing cars for a living, I worked on a 914 with an Audi automatic in it. The owner lost his left leg in an accident, and had the money to convert it. It was nicely done and drove OK for just a 3 speed slushbox.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 5 2020, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 5 2020, 04:09 PM) *

My dad sold his 64 356sc for a boxster with a tip.. He has a 914 project he really hasn't worked with much this year. He is hopeful he can drive it when its road worthy.

Personally, I'd entertain the addition of a hydraulic clutch to ease clutch pedal forces. Would certinaly be some custom fabrication but in my opinon (which doesn't matter) it is truer to the DNA of the 914 than adding an auto.

Likewise, there are some interesing small gear multiplication devices to decrease motorcycle clutch cable forces for the elderly - might be able to modify one of those to but would have to account for higher axial loads on 914 clutch vs. motorcycle clutch. Maybe engineer up a similar device but upsized.
VaccaRabite
There was a guy on here several years ago that swapped in a sportmatic transmission into his 914.

Another guy that swapped in another type of automatic ( I don't remember which) because he had health issues and could not work the clutch.

It keeps the cars on the road. Hard to find too much fault with it.

Zach
yellowporky
i thought someone posted photos of a factory 914-6 sportomatic a few years ago. Seems that the car was orange or red.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 5 2020, 03:33 PM) *

Each time I think that I've surely seen the worst stromberg.gif that can be done to a 914, a new example pops up. screwy.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yup

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Oct 7 2020, 11:56 AM) *

i thought someone posted photos of a factory 914-6 sportomatic a few years ago. Seems that the car was orange or red.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Oct 7 2020, 11:56 AM) *

I took pictures of blue 914-6 with a sportomatic in France years ago, cannot find them. Think we where on the 'club site back then.
914Sixer
When you look at the opening of the video and compare it to the pictures posted the transmission they seem to be the same judging from the ribs on the trans.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup has to be the same car, the rusty heat exchangers give it away, and I know that the one I posted is a 75.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.