Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 crankcase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tonyooc
I just read an article that Porsche is selling all stock 911 crankcase from 1984 to 1998 . It said they are selling at porsches dealers. I wish I had some extra cash to stock pile some.
Front yard mechanic
Do tell
rktmn247
8K is a lot for a "spare".
mepstein
It's a great price but they only have 100 blanks so they will go quickly if they aren't already gone

https://rennlist.com/articles/porsche-class...ir-cooled-911s/

"It may not be a traditional crate motor program, but Porsche will sell you a replacement crankcase for your 1984 through 1998 911."
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rktmn247 @ Oct 6 2020, 11:33 PM) *

Once gone a few years later they'll start showing up on BaT going for twice that price.
73-914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 7 2020, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(rktmn247 @ Oct 6 2020, 11:33 PM) *

Once gone a few years later they'll start showing up on BaT going for twice that price.

Of course they will agree.gif
Cairo94507
I mean who wouldn't want a brand new engine case? If the price was more reasonable, like $2,500 they would sell like pan cakes on Sunday morning. chowtime.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 7 2020, 09:55 AM) *

I mean who wouldn't want a brand new engine case? If the price was more reasonable, like $2,500 they would sell like pan cakes on Sunday morning. chowtime.gif

I’m surprised Porsche isn’t charging more.
Guys spend $3-4K on machining their 40 year old mag cases and $4-6k to buy used 3.2 cases. These are brand new.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2020, 11:11 AM) *

Guys spend $3-4K on machining their 40 year old mag cases and $4-6k to buy used 3.2 cases. These are brand new.

Overall I'd agree but two points:

1) They aren't mag. I want a small displacement mag case for weight reasons. I also a want period correct case (1973). I know I'm odd screwy.gif

2) I'm sort of baffled by the statement that they couldn't read the prints to machine the raw castings but yet held on to them for all these years? And then magically they found machining prints from 962? Just a weird story. shades.gif Not saying it's not true. Just weird.

Since the production machine tooling is long gone, these would have had to have been machined up via CNC. Not a bad thing in itself, but does make $8k look like a bargin.

Interesting article:

https://www.pca.org/sites/default/files/ORG...ase_article.pdf
Mueller
Porsche has had brand new blocks for the 944 and 968 (my dream car) for a while.
About $3K

Not sure if complete NOS or newly machined NOS casting like the 911 engine.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 7 2020, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2020, 11:11 AM) *

Overall I'd agree but two points:

1) They aren't mag. I want a small displacement mag case for weight reasons. I also a want period correct case (1973). I know I'm odd screwy.gif

2) I'm sort of baffled by the statement that they couldn't read the prints to machine the raw castings but yet held on to them for all these years? And then magically they found machining prints from 962? Just a weird story. shades.gif Not saying it's not true. Just weird.

Since the production machine tooling is long gone, these would have had to have been machined up via CNC. Not a bad thing in itself, but does make $8k look like a bargin.

No one will tool up for mag cases, not even Porsche, if we do see early cases repopped they will be aluminum. taorminaracingdesigns.com who make and sell the 3.6 engine case said they would reproduce them, no idea on ETA.
@catorce

Then there's this one out of billet
IPB Image
IPB Image
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 7 2020, 06:17 PM) *

No one will tool up for mag cases, not even Porsche, if we do see early cases repopped they will be aluminum.

Yup. Agree completely. That's what keeps folk like me paying to save an old mag case. screwy.gif

Porsche is such an odd company in the sense that they don't reproduce even a decent supply of 80's vintage cases. I've seen claims in the dealerships something to the effect of 70% of porsches are still on the road. Used to be in mid 80%'s back in the mid-80's. Not much thanks to Porsche directly. Even back in mid to late 80's lots of parts were already NLA for teeners.

In my opinion, those numbers on the road speak to the strength of the Porsche aftermarket (Thanks 914 Rubber, AA, RD, and all you guys refurb'ing parts in your garages) and the passion for the brand that even Porsche seems to be lacking lately.

Really odd considering how 911 cases were so similar and interchangeable/upgradeable over the years from 3R cases right up though the last of the 7R mag cases.
SirAndy
Porsche is already 3d printing pistons for the GT cars, i think engine cases are a logical next step.

idea.gif

rktmn247
Yea you guys are right considering the cases that Catorce is selling will be 7K after the initial 40 the price on these is close.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 7 2020, 05:17 PM) *

Then there's this one out of billet
IPB Image
IPB Image

drooley.gif

I found the manufacturer.... https://noonanrace.com/products/911-porsche-case

That case, by itself, is $12,500.00. blink.gif yikes.gif And unless they make billet timing chain boxes to go with it, it is going to leak oil. They all leak from the factory.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.