Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable...is Terry Cable the best?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Had a clutch cable go out years ago and how time flies....just doing maintenance and discovered a broken strand on my current cable....hate to change the cable but can't unsee the break....told by 914 guru friend that TerryCable is the best....Gimo cable is $15...Porsche genuine is $68.00 made by Gimo..TerryCable $60....just thought I would ask even though my new TerryCable is on the way via Pelican Parts which is the only place I could find them....I guess comments would be appreicated but the TerryCable did look like the better option....break downs suck and my guru said "you were lucky to catch it before it broke". I do agree with that. Any helpful installation comments or any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
gg
Superhawk996
QUOTE(second wind @ Oct 6 2020, 11:38 PM) *

Had a clutch cable go out years ago and how time flies....just doing maintenance and discovered a broken strand on my current cable....hate to change the cable but can't unsee the break....told by 914 guru friend that TerryCable is the best....Gimo cable is $15...Porsche genuine is $68.00 made by Gimo..TerryCable $60....just thought I would ask even though my new TerryCable is on the way via Pelican Parts which is the only place I could find them....I guess comments would be appreicated but the TerryCable did look like the better option....break downs suck and my guru said "you were lucky to catch it before it broke". I do agree with that. Any helpful installation comments or any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
gg

When you start seeing broken strands on the clutch cable the 1st thing I'd look for a bad ground between engine/trans and body.

When that engine/trans ground goes high resistance, or worse yet missing, the clutch cable becomes the ground. The starter can pull lots of current that heats the clutch cable and then it cools. It esentially is heat treating the cable and making it brittle starting cycle after starting cycle. Brittle strands dont flex, they break, one by one. Eventually enough of them break and then the cable snaps unexpectedly.

You're right to replace the cable. Just make sure there isn't an underlying root cause.

Been there done that!
Mark Henry
IIRC some peeps had issues with the terry cables a few years back, I can't remember what problems they were having.
I've use the Gemo with no problems in 20 years, but my teen was off the road for 8 of them getting my /6.
914Sixer
Terry cables have been known to be too long. Not sure if the problem was ever corrected. You run out of threads to adjust cable. Gemo has always been good.
Amphicar770
I do not recall if it was clutch or accelerator cable but I ordered one of them as Tericable and thought it looked flimsier than the Geno. Stuck to the Gemo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.