Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which engine mounts to best manage NVH on /6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I’ll be using a Vellos / Mad Dog style kit (shelving the Naro mount for now).

I am more concerned about the car being good for touring than 10/10 handling.

Just wondering if people have experience with the different mounts – regular versus sport etc. in any experiences to pass along..

Thanks!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 7 2020, 08:02 PM) *

I’ll be using a Vellos / Mad Dog style kit (shelving the Naro mount for now).

I am more concerned about the car being good for touring than 10/10 handling.

Just wondering if people have experience with the different mounts – regular versus sport etc. in any experiences to pass along..

Thanks!

I dont have the data on any of them so this is a generalization.

I've been looking at mounts for the same purpose. Want something with minimal NVH.

I'm leaning toward the Mad Dog 914-6 OEM replica mount. However, I don't believe the WEVO mount has enough rubber isolation. I'm basing that asssessment on appearance alone and my professional experinece tuning and evaluating OEM powertrain and suspension mounts for ride, handling, and NVH.

I will probably modify the Mad Dog Mount to revert to the 914/6 OEM rubber isolator and will beef up the body side structure of the Mad Dog mount a little.

The important thing is to have the mount structure 10-20 times stiffer than isolator rate itself. You cannot get good isolation if the mount structure itself is flexing or has resonant frequencies near the powertrain harmonics. I like that the Mad Dog OEM mount ties into the underlying structural reinforcement that is inside the rear bulkhead that the 914/6 was designed to tie into. The OEM mount minimizes the cantilever overhang away from the rear bulkhead.

I would love to see Free-Free Modal Analysis on any of these mounts and to know the spring rates of their respective isolators.

I think you're making a good call to stay away from Naro mount. I'm not a fan of how it mounts to the chassis. It mounts on a portion of the firewall that is lacking structure. Likewise it's a long bar suspending the engine at the middle. I also don't like that the bullk head mounts are cantilevered out away from the rear bulkhead. All this points toward it being likely to have bending modes that are pretty low frequency and will easily transmit though the rest of the chassis structure. Again, pure speculation based on professional experience. Would love to see real NVH data on any of these parts. I don't doubt that it works for track / racing applications and is easier to service but it looks compromised from a NVH perspective.
mb911
Hands down the factory style mount .. Plus it has the most clearance.
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen, very thoughtful and detailed response @superhawk996 .

So standard 911 non-sport mounts then?
Steve
I’m running the rich Johnson mount with 911 sport mounts. They do not have the holes in them like the 914 transmission mounts. I purchased them from Pelican. Personally I would not run a stock six type mount with a 2.7 or greater motor. Having two mounts up front will give you more stability and balance versus a single mount.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 8 2020, 06:36 AM) *

I’m running the rich Johnson mount with 911 sport mounts. They do not have the holes in them like the 914 transmission mounts. I purchased them from Pelican. Personally I would not run a stock six type mount with a 2.7 or greater motor. Having two mounts up front will give you more stability and balance versus a single mount.

I understand that argument however the stock style mount has larger rubber mounting area.. This ensures plenty of cushion and remember even the 914-8 had that style mount.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.