Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horrible scraping noise from rear left.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
I was once again test driving my car and while cruising along at 30~40 mph I heard a loud non continuous scraping noise; almost like a tire rubbing against a curb. I stopped to inspect and saw nothing. Everything was clean. No rub marks.

I pushed down on the suspension a few times and that seemed to help so I could limp home, but the noise started to get worse as I drove more. Probably drove a mile to get home.

Looking for some guidance cause a have no idea.

bdstone914
@Highland

Take the wheel off and inspect more closely.
Look for rub marks on tire. Could be a wheel bearing, shot trailing arm bushings. With weight off the wheel see if you have top to bottom play and/or side to side.
KSCarrera
Worst case scenario: suspension mounting console broken away from chassis leg (hell-hole rust?). Broken spring?
VaccaRabite
I once had a noise like that and it ended up being a stone caught between the dust cover and the brake rotor. The noise it made sounded like my wheel was going to come off.

Pull the wheel for sure and give everything a solid look.

Zach
76-914
agree.gif I'd check that brake shield first. beerchug.gif
pt_700
get that wheel in the air and spin.

when the rear wheel bearing on my car went many years ago, i coulda described the noise like that.
ndfrigi
yes could be just the brake shield. It happened to me in SoCal WCR Palm Spring.
Hope just minor issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.