Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IDF Weber with hex bar - linkage towards front or rear of car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I've heard it both ways (nod to any Psych fans out there), and preferred orientation of the linkage?

Thanks!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 9 2020, 09:33 AM) *

... preferred orientation of the hex bar linkage?

Thanks!

Towards the garbage can. biggrin.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 9 2020, 08:45 AM) *

... preferred orientation of the hex bar linkage?

Thanks!

Literally LOL.

How do you really feel about these?
914werke
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 9 2020, 06:45 AM) *
... preferred orientation of the hex bar linkage? Thanks!

agree.gif
rhodyguy
On the front. PITA standing on your head dialing the carbs in when installed on the rear. Check out the one from TriadWest. While it looks similar, there are vast differences. +, it comes WITH a cable bracket. No fabrication required. Only other options for a set of carbs is a pulley system or center pull.
Spoke
I had the bar connected towards the rear but the linkage interfered with the trunk wall so I had to reposition the bar toward the front of the car.
Tdskip
Thanks for the responses - just need to get this one running with what I have.

I had fouling on the torsion bar too, appreciate the confirmation.

Thanks!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Oct 9 2020, 12:14 PM) *

Thanks for the responses - just need to get this one running with what I have.

I had fouling on the torsion bar too, appreciate the confirmation.

Thanks!

Same here Tom, I will be using the CB performance hex bar for now during my restoration and test run. But yes mostly said hex bar is not the best but for now I will ok with it. I will be waiting for a good deal like csp linkage.

Ansbacher
I have a hex bar linkage and am confused by this whole thread. What does "towards the front" or "towards the rear orientation of the bar" mean?? What does towards the "garbage can" mean? I too have to stand on my head to make adjustments; if there is a better way to re-install this thing can someone explain clearly what is meant in this thread...? Just looking at my setup, I don't see how it could be installed any other way than it is now...Please someone clarify and thanks.

Ansbacher
rhodyguy
The forward side of the carbs.

Throw the cross bar linkage in the garbage can. Personally, I'd recycle it.

Sticking your arms inbetween the rear of the carbs and the rear tin around the trunk. Trying to see while you fiddle with the crossbar drop links with tiny wrenches. When mounted on the forward side the linkage assem is out in the open requiring no contortion.

The spring loaded bar is not optimal. You may have to shorten the bar. There is no cable holder. I was not pleased when I bought one from CB.
Ansbacher
I think if I tried to put it in front of my carbs, my rebreather hoses would be in the way.

Ansbacher
nditiz1
Towards the front of the car. If you are just trying to get it running thats fine, but as others had said...garbage.
Tdskip
Thanks for all of the responses. I just need to get this thing up and running, doesn’t have to be perfectly dialed in, just mobile. If this one becomes a keeper I will invest in a better linkage set up.

Gint
A lot of it depends on what other junk is in your engine compartment, whether your accelerator cable is long enough, etc... You're going to have to get your head in there with a linkage and have a look. Whatever works. I remember swapping back and forth trying to figure out the best way to do mine at one point. I searched and looked at pics and saw both in use. CSP bell crank linkage is what I run now and prefer it over the standard cross bar linkage.
Ansbacher
So...to do a swap from front to back or vice-versa, does that mean the carbs get switched left to right and mounted backwards from the original installation?? I just can't wrap my head around all this.

Ansbacher
Tdskip
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Oct 10 2020, 07:54 PM) *

So...to do a swap from front to back or vice-versa, does that mean the carbs get switched left to right and mounted backwards from the original installation?? I just can't wrap my head around all this.

Ansbacher

The carbs would be swapped and flipped around side to side if you move the hex bar to the front of the car, fuel line place,emt changes some too.
Gint
Carbs swapped, no. You would have to take the ends off of the shafts and swap them over to the other side of the carb if memory serves me correctly. It was a long time ago that I last did it. I don't even know where my old cross bar linkage went to.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 11 2020, 01:35 PM) *

Carbs swapped, no. You would have to take the ends off of the shafts and swap them over to the other side of the carb if memory serves me correctly. It was a long time ago that I last did it. I don't even know where my old cross bar linkage went to.

Was easier to swap the carbs side to side since in my case everything was loose fitted - did that last week.
Gint
Ok, whatever works for you. That would mean your idle jets are on the inside of each carb facing the other essentially? That might be easier to deal with, or possibly worse I can't say.

I vaguely remember doing exactly this 10 years or so ago because I wanted to flip the cross bar arms to the front instead of the back. I was going to swap the lever on the carb throttle shaft to the other side of each carb. Can't even remember now why I didn't do it, but eventually it ended up with the arms on the rear just like it had been before. I think it was just too much effort to change what already worked anyway. And ultimately I replaced it all with the CSP bell crank linkage. And never looked back.

@Tdskip - Another oldie but a goodie.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111959&
Gint
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 11 2020, 11:35 AM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 11 2020, 11:50 AM) *
Ok, whatever works for you. That would mean your idle jets are on the inside of each carb facing the other essentially? That might be easier to deal with, or possibly worse I can't say.
I did say I couldn't remember. happy11.gif I have an awful memory. I thought that through. I guess it wouldn't. That should work fine. It helped that I went out and looked at my carbs and found my old cross bar linkage. And did a search or two on this site. Excellent resource for my old memory.
Tdskip
Thanks for all of the responses and discussion, in my last reply I was trying to help @ Ansbacher with his question. Hope my response didn’t come across the work way.

Have a great rest of your weekend.
Gint
Info, exchange of information and ideas never hurt anyone. I don't think...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.