Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to clean up a pan o' brake fluid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
I'm about 3 weeks into my relationship with my new '71 Irish Green 914.

Click to view attachment

Firstly, I can't tell you how supportive and informative the 914world.com community has been. You have all been just great. I feel like I can do anything knowing that y'all have my back!

A special shout out goes to Bruce ( @bdstone914 ) who has been AWESOME in helping me sort out my braking issues.

I'm writing in this post to ask about my current problem, which is that my drivers side floorpan is full of brake fluid, bubbling paint and basically a huge mess.

Click to view attachment

The master cylinder failed and so now I need to clean up the pan before I install my new pedal set (from Bruce) and master cylinder.

I'm a total newb so here's what I'm thinking and please tell me if you know better.

I'm thinking about sopping up what brake fluid I can, going over the pan with some brake cleaner to really clean it up, then stripping the paint with paint stripper, cleaning the bare metal with wurth clean prep then painting it with rustoleum flat black paint.

Please let me know if there is a better way to do this.

I, of course, want to prevent further corrosion and to protect the floor.
Tdskip
That sounds like a good plan, always remove it ASAP. Phosphoric acid will remove any rust that has taken hold prior to paint but after wiring brushing.

You should be OK.
Mcraneiowa
Are used to Por 15 on my floor pans as it is pretty much inpervious to anything. Just a thought
iankarr
With POR 15 it's all about the prep. Good stuff if done right. But be super careful and ALWAYS use a proper cartridge respirator with that stuff. There are horror stories of people who lost lung function after just a few minutes unmasked.
boxster914
thanks for the tip. I did not know of this stuff.
boxster914
hey Ian love your videos.
Gint
QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 10 2020, 07:55 PM) *
With POR 15 it's all about the prep. Good stuff if done right. But be super careful and ALWAYS use a proper cartridge respirator with that stuff. There are horror stories of people who lost lung function after just a few minutes unmasked.
shocked[1].gif Really? That's news to me. I had no idea.
bdstone914
@boxster914

You probably need to remove the tar paper on the floor. I just did this on my car. It often hides rust. It is not that hard to do with a heat gun and putty knife.

I cleaned the floor with strong detergent then Evporust to get rid of the rust. I used modeling clay to confine it to specific areas. After that I used wire wheels in a hand drip to clean on the remnants. There is a white PVC sealant used on the floor plugs. Do not over heat it as it produces cancer causing fumes.

I used good old Rustoleam primer and paint to refinish the floor.

Best done with good ventilation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.