Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield sealant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tonyooc
Has anyone resealed their windshield? If so what size sealant did you use. I just tried a 3/8 ribbon sealer which is equal to 9.52mm. Its too thick. I saw a 5/16 or 7mm online which should be better but I don't want to do 3 times, so hoping to get it on my second try
bandjoey
I think 914rubber has the right size. check their www
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tonyooc @ Oct 9 2020, 05:24 PM) *

Has anyone resealed their windshield? If so what size sealant did you use. I just tried a 3/8 ribbon sealer which is equal to 9.52mm. Its too thick. I saw a 5/16 or 7mm online which should be better but I don't want to do 3 times, so hoping to get it on my second try

@Tonyooc
You can buy it at NAPA.
bbrock

The factory manual says to use 8mm which is 5/16". That's what I used on my rear window and it was perfect. What I got from 914Rubber was 3/8" which is too fat. I'll be using 5/16" to put in the windshield too if it ever arrives. It has been on order since April dry.gif
Gint
QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 10 2020, 05:47 PM) *

The factory manual says to use 8mm which is 5/16". That's what I used on my rear window and it was perfect. What I got from 914Rubber was 3/8" which is too fat. I'll be using 5/16" to put in the windshield too if it ever arrives. It has been on order since April dry.gif
From where? Just curious...
bbrock
QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 11 2020, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 10 2020, 05:47 PM) *

From where? Just curious...

First item under installation for the windshield:

Click to view attachment

And then repeated again for rear window installation:

Click to view attachment

I'm pretty sure I've read Mark say in other threads that 3/8" will work if you have it nice and warm to be able to flatten it out. The last time I installed a windshield in a 914 was over 30 years ago so don't remember the size of butyl I used, but can say 5/16" (~8mm) worked great for the rear window.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.