Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welder Rx
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto
My welder is about the same vintage as my 914. Keeping it running eats up more of my garage time than I'd like, but it was loaned to me at no cost from a guy that once used it on his 914 years ago, so it has some pedigree. In any case, looking for some advice on updating it a little bit.

Specifically, I was thinking of trying to convert the back connection for the gun into a Euro style socket. Along with this it would seem good to replace the wire feeder. It looks like this can be done for around $100 and the elbow grease.

Anyone done this before? Good idea, bad idea? Here's some pics...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Click to view attachment

I can loan you my Lincoln for the low price of teaching me how to weld worth a damn. I don't foresee needing it anytime soon.
mb911
When you look at the cost of a real name brand 110 welder vs fixing what you have there it doesn't make it really worth while.. Buy a weldpak 100 like the above poster or a hobart handler or a miller 140. Those 3 can be had for around $400-$500 and hands down are the best light duty welders on the market.
76-914
agree.gif with the voice of authority. I'm partial to Miller but any of those Ben listed are a quantum leap over your old one. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
Have you guys seen the work this 914 hero has done with that welder? He's single handedly saving a 914 that otherwise should have been scrapped. pray.gif

Just think of the accomplishments that he'd have made if not constantly fighting with that rattletrap of a welder. happy11.gif

FYI - I started way back with a secondhand 110v Daytona MIG Cebora made in Italy of all places. Still have it but the best day of my life was when I stopped trying to do sheetmetal work with it. aktion035.gif
cary
Miller 141
Bradwhohada914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 10 2020, 08:36 AM) *

Have you guys seen the work this 914 hero has done with that welder? He's single handedly saving a 914 that otherwise should have been scrapped. pray.gif

Just think of the accomplishments that he'd have made if not constantly fighting with that rattletrap of a welder. happy11.gif

FYI - I started way back with a secondhand 110v Daytona MIG Cebora made in Italy of all places. Still have it but the best day of my life was when I stopped trying to do sheetmetal work with it. aktion035.gif

Hey easy now that was my old rattletrap! laugh.gif I gave it to him after he replaced the handle. Pretty decent welder in its day & it has probably been welding on 914s longer than any running welder. My dad & I used it on 1974 914 as early as 1984.
Mark Henry
I have a 30 year old Canox 130 which IIRC is a re-badged Miller 130. I like that it takes the bigger reels and I'm on my 3rd whip now, so I'm glad I bought a name brand I can still get parts for.
gandalf_025
Couple of years ago my mechanic gave me this welder.
He bought it new and used it for about a half hour before
deciding he needed a 220 volt one.
I’ve never even plugged it in.
Maybe now that I’m retired I can try to learn how to weld...???

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Oct 11 2020, 07:22 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Thats a great welder.. I have the same one.
Gint
I bought a Miller 175, 220 unit years ago. Never regretted it. I made the cart. I won't show you the welds. smile.gif One of these days I hope to be a better welder.

Click to view attachment
bkrantz
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 11 2020, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Oct 11 2020, 07:22 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Thats a great welder.. I have the same one.

Me too. Very reliable and consistent (at least compared to me).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.