Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trigger points cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
Today I need to get my trigger points cleaned up, and do some idle adjustments.

How do you best clean the trigger points? I was just going to yank the whole head off the dizzy, and bring her inside, where the heat works, 'cause Gawd, it's cold out there.

rolleyes.gif

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (redshift @ Jul 14 2005, 07:28 AM)
How do you best clean the trigger points?

well, what i did was place the trigger points assembly in a large container, such as a trash can.

then i left them there, and put in the good, new set...

i donno - burnish the contact points with something like a typewriter eraser (do they even still make those?) and hit 'em with a shot of contact cleaner. a small touch of Bosch grease on the rubbing blocks and call it good...

i don't recall pulling the dizzy, but there was probably some interesting language extracting the trigger points assembly. that was only 15 years ago, i donno why i can't recall it better...
redshift
Only got about 15k on these, I felt like I could be happy for another tuneup cycle before throwing another set in.

Tanks buddy.

M
bd1308
miles, i used carb cleaner to get the grease off.....and put some bosch grease (yellow ear wax looking stuff) on the cam and re-installed.

if you need one i have several good ones i could send you.
redshift
Thanks Britt, I'll let you know about that.

I may well use earwax.

smile.gif

M
bd1308
works for me. hold your nose. took about a month's worth to work. and i collected the rest of the families too.
URY914
Don't pull the dizzy to do it. That's more work that pulling the points out of the side of the dizzy.

But it is best to roll the car on the driver's side so you can just sit on a chair and work instead of bending over the back of the car.

That is tip #75 on my list of things to do to make working on these cars easier. wink.gif

Paul smile.gif
redshift
LMAO!

You can work on your car with it sitting in your lap. smile.gif

M
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jul 14 2005, 04:45 AM)
Don't pull the dizzy to do it. That's more work that pulling the points out of the side of the dizzy.

In my car, you can't get a screwdriver onto the two retaining screws for the trigger points when the distributor is still in the car. Let alone get room for the trigger points to slide out of the dizzy.

--DD
bd1308
same here....roll the car to make the rotor point toward the index mark....take the dizzy out and pull the trigger points...
goose2
If you just remove the 12-13 mm nut that holds the dist. bracket to the block (don't loosen the 10 mm clamp nut), you can pull the dist with the bracket beer.gif without having to retime it when you put it back in.
bd1308
yeah. I saw that in the Raby DVD. Damn that was a neat trick.
URY914
OK, I stand corrected. You DO have to pull the dizzy out.

Sorry for the confusion. sad.gif

It's been awhile since my car has trigger points. (or anything else)

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.