Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How likely my rear brake line is leaking?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
Long story short: my brake pedal went to the floor, I noticed the rear fluid reservoir was dry and my drivers side floor pan full of brake fluid.

After doing some research here at 914world I decided that the master cylinder died and it needed replacing.

During the install of the PMB 19mm master cylinder (oh what a pain that was but thank you again to 914world in helping me seat the supply lines) I saw that there was brake fluid under the drivers seat. This was strange because there is a ridge separating the front and rear sections of the floorpan so I couldn't figure out how the fluid would have collected under the drivers seat.

A little more looking and I see that it is wet in the channel with a deep puddle of it settled at the rear firewall.

So the fluid leaked from the hole in the channel into the pan area under the drivers seat.

So now I'm putting this all together:
-rear reservoir compartment dry (supplies the rear brakes)
-lots of brake fluid in the channel

It seems that the fluid is leaking from the brake line that runs in the channel and not necessarily the master cylinder failing.

What is your take on this mystery?

If it is the rear brake line that needs replacing how the heck do you do that?
Mikey914
Post up some pics it may help
Garland
The brake line that’s in the channel has a union. It’s accessible under the access plate at the rear of the channel, it’s a small plate with one Phillips screw, close to the firewall. This is also the location to adjust your shifter linkage.
cary
Click to view attachment
bdstone914
@boxster914

I doubt your tunnel brake line is leaking. Judgeing from a picture you posted with the car on ramps with nose high I bet the fluid came from the master cylinder and ran to the back.
You could test the line for leaks by pressurizing it with a hand pump like a Mighty Vac.

mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 12 2020, 11:35 AM) *

@boxster914

I doubt your tunnel brake line is leaking. Judgeing from a picture you posted with the car on ramps with nose high I bet the fluid came from the master cylinder and ran to the back.
You could test the line for leaks by pressurizing it with a hand pump like a Mighty Vac.

That would make sense. The metal channel that separates the front and back pan is spot welded so fluid may leak underneath. Or maybe down the center tunnel. Especially if you raised the front end first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.