Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gimme a brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
Anyone know anybody in Dayton or Cincy with a small sheet metal brake I can borrow or rent for a weekend?

lotus_65
i really need one too. i'm in minneapolis. biggrin.gif
914forme
How big is small?

Or how long do you need to use it etc.......

So many questions so little time.

I have access to several all over Cincinnati but they are nto that small, I have a portable unit. Or you can use the edge of your work bench and a 2x4 and do a masterful job of it. A hammer will help here also.

Oh does it need to be a box?
dflesburg
A benchtop unit may work, nobody in Dayton or Cincy rents those that I can find.

A 36" 100 pound Harbor Frienght jobby should be about right. I just dont want a $200 tool for a one day/ one time use.
John
Hey Bro,

Use mine if you ever bother to get your lazy butt over here.....

dflesburg
Thanks John,

We will be there August 5 - 8 driving the 5 and 8.

I think the problem is to get this stuff to fit exactly the way I want it I need the car there too.

John
If you are driving out and have the room, you can take it with you and borrow it for as long as you need. I'll get it back sometime. I can always make another.

I think it will to sheet metal up to 40" or so. I was thinking of making a press brake as well, but haven't found enough spare time for the "other" project ideas I have from time to time.

(Hell, keeping dad's cars running is nearly full time)

You know how it goes....
maf914
I once needed a piece of sheet metal cut and bent with several angles. I made a template out of cardboard with the correct shape, marked and folded the bends, estimated the angles, then took it to a HVAC shop and had them cut it with their cutters and shape it with their brake. Of course I had to pay them. sad.gif But for a one-time job it wasn't too bad. rolleyes.gif
guywan914
I have a brake and car in my garage if you want to drive to CT for the weekend. Seriously though maf914 had the right idea, if you can make a template a good HVAC shop or welder can perform the job. Good Luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.