Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Struts, springs, bearings, bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxster914
I need advice on prioritizing and sourcing suspension components to bring my 71 back to it's original feel.

I think I've decided what to do about wheels and tires (I'm going to either stay with my stock steel wheels or go with the EMPI Fuchs replicas from AA or Performance Plus Tires and go with 195/60-15 pirellis)

What about struts and springs? What brand and model do I get? What vendor?

Do I need to be concerned with bearings and bushings? If so, should it all be done at the same time?

Thank you for your help.
Mikey914
It's certainly easier to do all at once. If you have the funds.
You will need at least -
Rear trailing arm bushings (check the tubes for rust)

Rear wheel bearings (as you will have the trailing arm out )
Front wheel bearings you can check and maybe repack.
Rear springs there are several options out there we make a 100 and a 140/160 progressive

Rear shocks
Front shocks(I prefer Bilsteins for both front and back)

A arm bushings for front, and check the steering rack outer tie rod ends, and the A arm ball joints that hold the strut assembly

There may be more you want to replace, but that's the core at least
Also you can check out Cip1 they have some of the wheels we need too. I bought my fake 4 lug fuchs there for a lot less on sale
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...32%2DLIT413%2DB
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we now have factory identical springs and boge/sachs front and rear springs, Mark should have the stock bushings and fixture tool to install. This combination will restore (along with 165x15 tires the exact original factory ride and handling vwporsche worked so hard to achieve

QUOTE(boxster914 @ Oct 11 2020, 06:39 PM) *

I need advice on prioritizing and sourcing suspension components to bring my 71 back to it's original feel.

I think I've decided what to do about wheels and tires (I'm going to either stay with my stock steel wheels or go with the EMPI Fuchs replicas from AA or Performance Plus Tires and go with 195/60-15 pirellis)

What about struts and springs? What brand and model do I get? What vendor?

Do I need to be concerned with bearings and bushings? If so, should it all be done at the same time?

Thank you for your help.

boxster914
Ok so in consultation with my mechanic this is the proposed set up:

bilstein b6 shocks
with Rebel Racing coil over kit (https://www.rsrproducts.com/product-page/rebel-s-racing-914-rear-coil-over-kit)
125lb springs
195/65R-15 MICHELIN PREMIER A/S SL on 15 x 5.5 Empi fuch replicas

He will inspect and replace bearings/bushings as needed.

The original intent was to keep the handling stock but we have strayed from that original goal.

Will this be significantly different from how it drives now (all stock setup)? Better? Too firm?

I look forward to your thoughts and feedback on this set up.
Mikey914
Yes will be more firm.
I'm a fan of the Bilstein set up. No need to use coil over as they have steps. Stock springs are about 68 lbs.
We developed out 100s with Eibach. The analysis showed optimal load for a stock would be 100lb. We did also create a 140/160 progressive for a more sport set up.

I can put up a link if you want
JamesJ
QUOTE(boxster914 @ Oct 28 2020, 07:44 PM) *

Ok so in consultation with my mechanic this is the proposed set up:

bilstein b6 shocks
with Rebel Racing coil over kit (https://www.rsrproducts.com/product-page/rebel-s-racing-914-rear-coil-over-kit)
125lb springs
195/65R-15 MICHELIN PREMIER A/S SL on 15 x 5.5 Empi fuch replicas

He will inspect and replace bearings/bushings as needed.

The original intent was to keep the handling stock but we have strayed from that original goal.

Will this be significantly different from how it drives now (all stock setup)? Better? Too firm?

I look forward to your thoughts and feedback on this set up.

125 lb. springs will be great for street use, but I would recommend removing the rear sway bar if you have one; otherwise you will want to increase your front torsion bar size to the next size up to balance things out.
Those Michelins are a good size tire for our 914s but have a 640 tread wear rating, which is not a performance tire but may have decent ride comfort. It depends on what you are looking for. Stickier tires will be the best upgrade for your car’s handling.

914_teener
I did my car in stages and after I was done I never touched any component except played with the alignment afterwards. Suspension is the best thing you can do for these cars as the stock setup lacks what the car is capable of. Like some other members it really depends what you want to do with the car. For me a had a great running 1.7 and live around the foothills of So Cal so I wanted a setup for cruising but also a car that could zip in the twistys.

I did them in this order and with similar recommendations:

1. Brakes...redo all the calipers and have PMB do it. You will never have to do them again. Replace the rotors and bearings at the same time, they are cheap comparitively.

2. Tires, your tires are a good size, I'd repeat the comment on the performance grade I preferred a stickier tire myself.

3. Suspension Rear:
Rebel racing ajustable perches with Bilstein Sports. I went with 140 lb spring rate but if I had to do it over again I'd use a lower progressive spring the one Mark suggests.
I don't recommend a rear sway bar and I didn't have one given the driving I was doing and the way my car was set up. Do the CV's and the rear bearings and check when you have the arms off that they are not bent. Replace the control arm bushings. You'll never align the car properly if they are bent. You can plate or paint all the bits if you like pretty unders.

4. Suspension Front:

You can use the Boge stock insert here if you like. It really depends what you want but in the twisties...NO understeer so I had the stock sway bar with Tarrett adustable drop links becuase I lowered and indexed the front torsion bars. You'll need a rack spacer here to avoid any bump steer.

Tie rods; probably the best suspension upgrade is the so called Turbo Tie rods. These are a must.

Carry the stock spare tire not only as a crash barrier but it also balances the front end sprung weight of the car.

Do this and you will always be happy. Call Rebel Racing they are great folks and know 914's

Good Luck and Happy Safe Driving.
gereed75
Not sure what else is on the car now but I suggest turbo tie rods and definitely a front sway bar. Stock is 19mm but 21 is a nice upgrade.

Could never understand why these cars came stock with no bars!!

BTW - love steelies with hubcaps and a nice low stance!!
mepstein
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 29 2020, 12:56 PM) *

Not sure what else is on the car now but I suggest turbo tie rods and definitely a front sway bar. Stock is 19mm but 21 is a nice upgrade.

I believe stock is 15mm
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Oct 29 2020, 12:56 PM) *

I have a Tarrett 23mm (or is it 21mm, I'm not sure how they measure hollow bars) and I can say this might be too stiff for the OP.
boxster914
Thank you all for the input! Very useful.

I will go back and research the components you suggest and reconvene with my mechanic to make a final decision.

I'll be sure to send pics of the final build.
alexkirkham
I see that most people like Bilsteins but for me they really changed the car - suddenly instead of lotus-like suppleness (smooth ride and pretty good handling), I was feeling every bump, as was my back. I went back to Koni classic reds on the front (made for 911s but fit fine) and stock Sachs/Boges with 100 springs on the back, and it was a relief! I do live in the middle of London though...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.