Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: INTEREST IN 914's GROWING?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9146GUY
I am amazed at the number of 914's that are suddenly showing up at auctions lately. I suppose that finally people are realizing that the cars are actually Porsches and they have some value. After all they have been bringing in some pretty amazing prices.
So I wonder if prices will peak soon or continue to climb. Thoughts.
flipb
As someone who has no experience investing in collector cars (other than buying a 914 a decade ago and keeping it)...

I think the world is recognizing something we've known for a long time. Mid-engine, three-pedal, disc brakes, unboosted steering... is an outstanding formula for fun. And most options that fit that description don't come cheap.

That said, I think 914 prices will follow the collector car market. If the economy slows and prices stall, our teeners won't be immune. If we get another few months -- or years -- of growth because the current era of electronification leaves people longing for the days of analog sports cars, I'll take it.
Ian Stott
QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 12 2020, 12:09 PM) *

As someone who has no experience investing in collector cars (other than buying a 914 a decade ago and keeping it)...

I think the world is recognizing something we've known for a long time. Mid-engine, three-pedal, disc brakes, unboosted steering... is an outstanding formula for fun. And most options that fit that description don't come cheap.

That said, I think 914 prices will follow the collector car market. If the economy slows and prices stall, our teeners won't be immune. If we get another few months -- or years -- of growth because the current era of electronification leaves people longing for the days of analog sports cars, I'll take it.

When I stop for gas, picking up a few groceries, etc. The teener always creates interest, and not just from car people, the younger generation seem really intrigued and are recognizing that cars like ours, and anything from that era is never going to be available again. Did not buy mine as an investment, always wanted one from the first time I saw one on a show room floor back in 73, yes they have increased in value since I bought mine in 04, which is nice but not why I try to keep it well maintained, I just really like jumping in it and going for that mind clearing drive which always puts a smile on my face!
VaccaRabite
Values are going up for sure, and have been for years.

Right now the "Affordable" Porsches are the watercooled 70s-80s cars. 924, 944, 928. And I suspect their values will go up as well as new owners try to get in on the Porsche bubble - as long as the bubble holds.

Zach
StarBear
That unique air-cooled sound; true feel for the road, downshifting thrill and that "up close and personal" view! PRICELESS! biggrin.gif
SKL1
I guess others are finally finding out what I've known for 50 years!!
Mikey914
The 914 is a very unique car way ahead of it's time in many aspects, and yet still a nostalgic vehicle due to the sound and actual feel of the car.
Prices will go up as will demand as there really aren't that many of these around, specifically REALY nice ones. That's what I think we are seeing right now. The rest will follow.
brcacti
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 13 2020, 01:41 PM) *

The 914 is a very unique car way ahead of it's time in many aspects, and yet still a nostalgic vehicle due to the sound and actual feel of the car.
Prices will go up as will demand as there really aren't that many of these around, specifically REALY nice ones. That's what I think we are seeing right now. The rest will follow.

"not many around" how true, I am the ONLY one in my small city with one in S. AZ. I have lived here for 17 years and have never seen one on the roads or freeways here in that time. I did see one white one parked with a for sale sign on it in the old part of town about 6-8 years ago, has been gone for years now.
horizontally-opposed
Interest in the 914 has definitely been growing, both out of rising ships (356, 912, 911) and as the design has matured and seems to, finally, be recognized for what it is.

And then there is the driving fun and the fact that many have been lost and the fleet that remains keeps getting nicer.

With that said, I always take the "rising prices" with a grain of salt called inflation. Since 2000, $10k has turned into $15k all on its own. And with that said, the early 911 market felt like a bubble not long after 2000 and…still does (even if it has mellowed somewhat in recent years for all but the very best cars). Did I think we would see $80-130k stock 914-6s, or $60-100K+ six conversions? No, no I did not…but I didn't see a $94k 1975 914 1.8 either. Sure, it's an outlier, but it isn't the only four that's blown me away.

The good news is good 914s are still out there for reasonable money, and offer a LOT of fun.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 13 2020, 05:55 PM) *

With that said, I always take the "rising prices" with a grain of salt called inflation. Since 2000, $10k has turned into $15k all on its own.

Ah, a man that understands inflation! biggrin.gif
To state this inflation thing more carefully. $10K has not grown into $15k.

Stated differently, it now takes $15K in 2020 to buy what $10K would have previously bought in 2000. The value of a dollar is declining.

@horizontally-opposed

Not a poke.gif at you. You clearly get it. Just want to make the point clear why prices rise.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 13 2020, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 13 2020, 05:55 PM) *

With that said, I always take the "rising prices" with a grain of salt called inflation. Since 2000, $10k has turned into $15k all on its own.

Ah, a man that understands inflation! biggrin.gif
To state this inflation thing more carefully. $10K has not grown into $15k.

Stated differently, it now takes $15K in 2020 to buy what $10K would have previously bought in 2000. The value of a dollar is declining.

@horizontally-opposed

Not a poke.gif at you. You clearly get it. Just want to make the point clear why prices rise.

Yes, precisely what I meant—but stated poorly!

Everyone needs an editor.... biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Bought my first 914 in 1990 so I have limited time with the trend. I would say the 914 is gained more interest recently as it's still an affordable air-cooled Porsche. BUT, the peak of people who owned and drove 914's and were interested in them has long passed. There simply are not as many 914's on the road (or jackstands for that matter).
Cairo94507
Bought my first 914 brand new in 1974- it was a '73 2.0 appearance group car. That was when I knew the 914 would always be in my life. I have only had 4 of them, but I loved all 4- especially my present car. beerchug.gif
Ansbacher
With decent 914-4s going for 15-25K routinely (which is small change in the classic car market), I think there is still lots of room for 914 prices to rise. It is the last affordable air-cooled Porsche out there, but won’t be for long.

Ansbacher
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 13 2020, 04:20 PM) *

Bought my first 914 brand new in 1974- it was a '73 2.0 appearance group car. That was when I knew the 914 would always be in my life. I have only had 4 of them, but I loved all 4- especially my present car. beerchug.gif

Have only ever had one 914, but I've been driving it since 1990 and feel very much the same way. As other Porsches have come and gone, I've learned just one will (hopefully) always be around. And the more years that go by, the better it gets and the more I learn to appreciate about it.

Went to grab a cup of coffee in Pt Reyes Station with a friend over the weekend, and the number of times I wished I was driving his car were precisely zero. I've spent a lot of time in the modern Porsches, and they're great—but the 914 just felt/sounded/drove fantastically out there.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 13 2020, 07:20 PM) *

You still own a 914?
Never knew...
Superhawk996
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 13 2020, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 13 2020, 04:20 PM) *

Have only ever had one 914, but I've been driving it since 1990 and feel very much the same way. As other Porsches have come and gone, I've learned just one will (hopefully) always be around. And the more years that go by, the better it gets and the more I learn to appreciate about it.

Went to grab a cup of coffee in Pt Reyes Station with a friend over the weekend, and the number of times I wished I was driving his car were precisely zero. I've spent a lot of time in the modern Porsches, and they're great—but the 914 just felt/sounded/drove fantastically out there.

Love that picture. 914's are still one of the lowest CG cars out there with a track width that was ahead of it's time. Makes the GT car look like a portly pig.
bkrantz
Seem like lots of cars with more famous siblings are getting more interest (and value). One of my other favorites (that I also owned long ago) is the FJ40. Prices for that model have gone nuts over the past decade, and now other Landcruisers are seeing inflation.
Mueller
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Oct 13 2020, 07:40 PM) *

Seem like lots of cars with more famous siblings are getting more interest (and value). One of my other favorites (that I also owned long ago) is the FJ40. Prices for that model have gone nuts over the past decade, and now other Landcruisers are seeing inflation.

Look at Bring a Trailer....second gen Broncos (OJ style) being put up for auction almost daily. Of course the release of the new Bronco has to be the main reason I believe.
SKL1
A good friend of mine has a REALLY nice Dino, which was the Ferrari step-child version of the 914.
Back then no one would admit it was a Ferrari, and now you know what has happened! A perfect parallel with the 914. When riding in it, it really reminds me of a 914-6...
dax1969
so true... I get more smiles, thumbs up and questions on the 914 then when I am out in my 911. Although prices are going up, for most Europeans it remains a VW .... except parts sellers and mechanics biggrin.gif

Classic cars are very popular in Belgium but I think this will change... a few major cities introduced LEZ (low emission zones) and we are not welcome anymore.
Also as of this year classic cars must be 30 years .... need inspection every 2 year (as of 50 years, every 5 years). People who can't do basic things themself will soon realize than mechanics are expensive. What scares me a bit is the fact that Belgian inspection is soooo stupid. They know nothing about classic cars and want that cars are original....
No engineswaps, no modifications allowed but also no upgrades !!

A friend of mine had his VW T1 inspected and was rejected because the car had disc brakes instead of the original drumbrakes.... so making the car better is not allowed !

I was rejected with my 911 because I installed "purple" poly bushings ... they should have been black and of rubber. So black "made in china" bushings are ok, the better quality bushings are considered as "tuning" and need a certificate from the manufacturer or lab that they are of an equal or better quality. fyi I do like fighting the system and arranged a certificate fm the supplier... again they tried to reject me but I had the full European legislative with me and showed them that they should accept...and they did biggrin.gif but I can understand that a lot of people will get scared of buying and using a classic car and if there is less demand ....

Will see, I just enjoy my cars as long as I can piratenanner.gif

bye
Dax
Tdskip
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Oct 13 2020, 09:06 AM) *

Values are going up for sure, and have been for years.

Right now the "Affordable" Porsches are the watercooled 70s-80s cars. 924, 944, 928. And I suspect their values will go up as well as new owners try to get in on the Porsche bubble - as long as the bubble holds.

Zach

Agree, would just add decent 928s are getting spendy, not decent ones are eye wateringly expense to get to a decent point. Been there, still doing that....
Al Meredith
See what is happening in Belgium and rest of the EU . Personal freedoms are slowly being taken away . You guys in California see it coming. Lets vote to keep the government out of our freedoms .
flat4guy
In California it is tough enough just paying gas and DMV fees - highest in the country I believe. Luckily I have been ahead of the game - bought my 911 and 912 before they went to high and my 914 was a hidden gem in the foothills. You buy them to enjoy and not for an investment otherwise you could be an unhappy person. Miles = smiles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.