Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat exchanger pipes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hi all, I made an appt to take the car in have oil fumes inside car when pull heater knob. The porsche mechanic said probably have oil dripping on the 3-4 foot long heat exchangers and inside for years built up. He said on VWs they usually replace them are they available for 914s. If not available he said he may be able to bring them to a radiator shop and have them cleaned out. I need some guidance, opinions and suggestions on this project.
Cairo94507
It is not uncommon for oil to pool in the heat exchangers and then when the exchangers get hot the fumes can blow into the cabin when the heater is turned on.

I am sure you can find good condition heat exchangers in the Classifieds here if your exchangers were in bad shape. Or if not bad, having them boiled out by a radiator shop seems like a good way to approach the problem. After almost 46 years, boiling them out seems very reasonable. I would also check to make sure your heater flappers are functioning properly as well as having all of the blower hoses connected in the system.

To make life easier for either you or the shop, I would start spraying the heat exchanger fasteners, all of them, with some form of penetrating oil for a good week before you take the car into the shop or attempt to remove them yourself. Spray them daily for the week and then hope they come loose easily and with no drama.

Good luck and above all have fun and enjoy your car. beerchug.gif
bdstone914
He is probably correct. Pull all the heat tin and have it cleaned. If it is really bad it may have blown all the way to the flapper boxes and flex tubes.
ndfrigi
if no leaks from the header pipes to HE box, just clean them. Used HE usually range between $250 to $350.
bdstone914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 12 2020, 12:13 PM) *

He is probably correct. Pull all the heat tin and have it cleaned. If it is really bad it may have blown all the way to the flapper boxes and flex tubes.

And 74 1.8 heat exchangers are unique. They have larger tubes than 1.7. Hard to find any solid heat exchangers. Oily ones usually have less rust.
I do have a clean refinished set of them and refinished tin. See what they want to dip all of the parts.
DANNYMAC
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 12 2020, 02:13 PM) *

if no leaks from the header pipes to HE box, just clean them. Used HE usually range between $250 to $350.

Where are you finding HE for that price ? Auto Atlanta and Others $850 each side $1700 !
Should have said "Stainless Steel" but why would you replace them without going Stainless ?
brcacti
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 12 2020, 12:11 PM) *

It is not uncommon for oil to pool in the heat exchangers and then when the exchangers get hot the fumes can blow into the cabin when the heater is turned on.

I am sure you can find good condition heat exchangers in the Classifieds here if your exchangers were in bad shape. Or if not bad, having them boiled out by a radiator shop seems like a good way to approach the problem. After almost 46 years, boiling them out seems very reasonable. I would also check to make sure your heater flappers are functioning properly as well as having all of the blower hoses connected in the system.

To make life easier for either you or the shop, I would start spraying the heat exchanger fasteners, all of them, with some form of penetrating oil for a good week before you take the car into the shop or attempt to remove them yourself. Spray them daily for the week and then hope they come loose easily and with no drama.

Good luck and above all have fun and enjoy your car. beerchug.gif

Thanks for that information............yes am enjoying, just can't use heater later when the cold gets here. Right now have the top off all the time and use my car cover to cover the inside when not in use, am driving it top off to and from work 3 times a week.
Cairo94507
I totally agree with top off driving. I really think it makes the car so much more enjoyable. Of course here in CA it's easy to pull that off. beerchug.gif
brcacti
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 12 2020, 02:36 PM) *

I totally agree with top off driving. I really think it makes the car so much more enjoyable. Of course here in CA it's easy to pull that off. beerchug.gif

This time of year I can keep it off for one/two months. We have a carport at work I pull under for the 5 hours I am there from 5 am to 10 am. We get very cold mornings in Dec, Jan, feb, march to unless I wear a thick coat will travel with top on. I MIGHT just do the thick coat, will try that. Made an appt to take the car in Nov 2 but will have to drive one hour to get it there sad.gif
Gint
I used to drive mine to work and back with the top always off. Then I got older and colder...
bdstone914
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 12 2020, 12:44 PM) *

Where are you finding HE for that price ? Auto Atlanta and Others $850 each side $1700 !
Should have said "Stainless Steel" but why would you replace them without going Stainless ?

I helped install a set of new Dansk heat exchangers recently and was not impressed. The openings for the warm air elbows are too small and we had to modify the elbows to fit.

The tubes do not seal as well to the heads because of the thinner tubes.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(DANNYMAC @ Oct 12 2020, 12:44 PM) *

local member’s list on craigslist

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/d/f...7172902488.html
SO.O.C914er
Bruce are these 1.7 or 1.8 HE on Craigslist? Looks like small pipes?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Oct 12 2020, 08:56 PM) *

Bruce are these 1.7 or 1.8 HE on Craigslist? Looks like small pipes?

1.7/1.8 the same
seller member here and lives in Orange county
Rikyrat
I have a set of 74 1.8 heat exchangers, that have been ceramic coated, if you need them, I would be willing to let the go at a reasonable price.
The ceramic coating itself costs 20.00

PM if you are interested
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.