Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Flaps spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
I am installing the engine tin etc. I believe this spring is also held by a piece of metal that is attached to the top of the fan housing with the hex nut. I also assume the spring end goes under not over the plate. But is the spring to be 'Loaded" such that it has tension? I know the thermostat wire attaches also....

Click to view attachment
sholman5
Click to view attachment
There is a black metal tab that holds the rod in place.
iankarr
Yes, the end of the spring goes under the post. It's under slight tension in its "resting" state...which corresponds with the flaps in the fully-warm position. When cold, the thermostat retracts, causing the cable attached to the bar to pull down, putting the spring under (more) tension. This way if the thermostat fails, the bar snaps back to the full warm position to prevent the engine from overheating. I think it's easier to attach the cable when the engine is fully warm. Just pull the cable taught and secure with the set screw.
JeffBowlsby
You also need the rubber grommet for the wire passing though the hole in the tin.
simonjb
Thanks all....Does that black tab have a part number?
cary
021119729A NLA

We just make them out of 20ga.
bbrock
I cut mine out of a salvaged piece of steel pallet strapping. Can't claim credit for the idea, another member suggested it. There are two tabs used. One by the spring, the other at the opposite end of the rod.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.