Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool Targa cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jett
Bought one for our 911, but they make a 914 version...

Good to protect the interior when the roof is not on, and parked.

https://www.sonderwerks.com/shop

FlacaProductions
How is it secured?

EDIT - ah - i see it now. If you look at the 911 version it's got two suction cups on each side that attach to the top of the window. Interesting.
DRPHIL914
cool idea, nice to cover it up quick to keep stuff from falling in if parked for lunch and you dont have to pull the top out of the trunk, yea, i know that seems a bit lazy but still i like it. thanks for posting this.
Olympic 914
So where do you store this? do you keep it UNDER the roof in the rear trunk??? Then you have to move the roof to get to it.

It takes moments to put the targa roof back on. I think I'll stick with it.

Frankvw
"So where do you store this?"
welll...you have to keep it under your arm I guess...the website says you have to carry it smile.gif
"It's the perfect top to carry..."
Interesting product development........
Mikey914
I have an idea for something even easier idea.gif
And less expensive.
mrholland2
I thought it went OVER the targa top to reinforce the prevention of water encroachment?

Make your passenger hold it in their lap!
Steve
confused24.gif
What is the advantage of this over Perry's umbrella cover?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 13 2020, 05:07 PM) *

confused24.gif

looks sturdier than the umbrella cover, but to that point i have put the umbrella cover on while parked without the targa i just wanted to cover the opening quickly and not have to pull the targa out - or i had left the targa at home and not put it in the trunk. but the umbrella cover is just vinyl and not very firm , but can be used in a similar fashion i suppose. other difference is umbrella cover has to be fastened with the straps and hooks whereas this is just using a suction cup to the glass. i always thought that one idea for the umbrella cover would be narrow strips of magnets in certain location, maybe make the sides just a bit longer , like the boxster top cover i had from “roadster solutions”, it was also padded and was an extra protection against door dings.
idea.gif
brcacti
Good idea for SOME. The regular top can get heavy for older people, do we have older people driving 914s? poke.gif
Rand
Oof, a cover for your cover or roof that normally stores in it's own place. But hey, what's more cool than a puffy vest for your 914 top? /sarcasm
Steve
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 13 2020, 02:17 PM) *

confused24.gif

looks sturdier than the umbrella cover, but to that point i have put the umbrella cover on while parked without the targa i just wanted to cover the opening quickly and not have to pull the targa out - or i had left the targa at home and not put it in the trunk. but the umbrella cover is just vinyl and not very firm , but can be used in a similar fashion i suppose. other difference is umbrella cover has to be fastened with the straps and hooks whereas this is just using a suction cup to the glass. i always thought that one idea for the umbrella cover would be narrow strips of magnets in certain location, maybe make the sides just a bit longer , like the boxster top cover i had from “roadster solutions”, it was also padded and was an extra protection against door dings.
idea.gif

I use the umbrella for two reasons.
1. To keep the sun out of my car in the summer time. So cal gets very toasty!!
2. To keep the rain out of my car in the winter time.

Even with the top on the umbrella cover keeps more water out of the car, but I mainly use it when i park the car to keep the sun off of the dash and seats.

Nice to know there are other options out there.
porschetub
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 14 2020, 10:07 AM) *

confused24.gif

agree.gif ,about as useful as a heater in the desert lol-2.gif lol-2.gif .
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 13 2020, 05:22 PM) *

confused24.gif

idea.gif

Even with the top on the umbrella cover keeps more water out of the car, but I mainly use it when i park the car to keep the sun off of the dash and seats.

yes. exactly and so do i.
however since i painted the car i don’t like the cords or the hooks, i had to deep polish once to get rid of some marks in the clear coat from those straps rubbing. i’d like to see a different method of attachment (hey Perry poke.gif )
- here is an idea like the RoadsterSolutions boxster cover, but something they don’t have, a thin long flat magnetic strip on the side, have the side come down further, and padded like RS does, and the magnetic idea keeps you from using straps.
regarding this product, it would be lighter and easier for some people to put on than the fiberglass top, quick and easy and covers and protects against bird poop etc while you run into the store or whatever. I get some might see this as redundant or not necessary,
but it’s nice to know the option is there
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 13 2020, 02:36 PM) *

confused24.gif

idea.gif

however since i painted the car i don’t like the cords or the hooks, i had to deep polish once to get rid of some marks in the clear coat from those straps rubbing. i’d like to see a different method of attachment (hey Perry poke.gif )
- here is an idea like the RoadsterSolutions boxster cover, but something they don’t have, a thin long flat magnetic strip on the side, have the side come down further, and padded like RS does, and the magnetic idea keeps you from using straps.
regarding this product, it would be lighter and easier for some people to put on than the fiberglass top, quick and easy and covers and protects against bird poop etc while you run into the store or whatever. I get some might see this as redundant or not necessary,

I'll look at magnets again. TBH the bungee cords are more time consuming than you'd think
Steve
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 13 2020, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 13 2020, 02:36 PM) *

confused24.gif

idea.gif

I'll look at magnets again. TBH the bungee cords are more time consuming than you'd think

I also just painted my car, but i use the hooks through the rims, not the fenders, but now you have me paranoid about the bungee cords on my paint. Maybe I will put towels under the bungee cords. stirthepot.gif
Ansbacher
$249.00 is pretty steep for something of such limited utility. A piece of waterproofed cardboard would be about as effective. Anybody interested in a bridge I have for sale? shades.gif

Ansbacher
Jett
I have an umbrella cover for the 914, which is great in the sun because no UV gets in. But for the garage I often park in the garage without the top and this cover works well to keep the dust out.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 13 2020, 07:15 PM) *

I have an umbrella cover for the 914, which is great in the sun because no UV gets in. But for the garage I often park in the garage without the top and this cover works well to keep the dust out.

I have an older version of this same thing for my 911, and I have used it a little. Mine needs new suction cups if it was windy
bkrantz
Or get a universal quick cover. blink.gif
rgolia
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 13 2020, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 13 2020, 07:15 PM) *

I have an older version of this same thing for my 911, and I have used it a little. Mine needs new suction cups if it was windy

How about an umbrella cover for a 911 Perry? @IronHillRestorations .

I used my 914 cover this year for the 911, worked great but looked a little funky
bandjoey
My Perry's Umbrella is about 4 years old and it's about 30-45 seconds to install. The bungees are no problem and no paint issues to date. Takes up little room in the front trunk when folded. I like old school and simplicity but the new fangled one might have good use...let's see after someone buys one and gives feedback.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.